• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously???
2 2

115 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, Bookery said:

Maybe I'm jaded, as I originally came from the rare book market (and maybe it's time to return!) -- but there's no way rare book collectors would pay anything for a sliver of leather off the cover of a first edition of MobyDick.  There sometimes is a market for single pages from famous works... but they have to be really significant (Shakespeare folio, Gutenberg bible) , and are generally from the 1400s or 1500s (or earlier).

All good thoughts! But IMO there is *something* to this 'No. 1' being visually recognizable, and seared into the retinas of generations of collectors, that makes this a not-perfect analogy. It's just odd and kind of jarring to us, as collectors have never before attached importance to this tiny bit of the cover before. It's also not a sale that can really be replicated, as it's not like other collectors have their own Action #1 'No. 1' scraps tucked away.

Again, it makes me think, I would love to see that bottom-2/3rds-of-an-Action-#1 cover come up for sale again today, as the iconic Superman drawing is the much more significant and well-known element of the cover.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Here's the back cover image:

act1.16328b.jpg.4fb43b108789ccf8fb8106ce72b82938.jpg

That's either the natural colouring from the interior ad, or the owner cut his finger when he chopped it up. 

Hide contents

hm

action-comics-superman-jumbo-comic_1_6c1770d2c135da57a6cf308ba4a5c452.thumb.jpg.a4b65bbc43da56500293db50e2b310fe.jpg

Looks like some of the red construction paper or whatever it was glued to is still attached to it…

On 3/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, Superman2006 said:

Looks like some of the red construction paper or whatever it was glued to is still attached to it…

Typical. It's the size of a gnat's arse and there's glue on it :p

On 3/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, sfcityduck said:

You think CGC would continue to certify it if someone married the "1" to a reconstruction of the cover?

I've no idea. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, Duffman_Comics said:

This "hobby" has now reached peak stupid.

Yes. It seems stupidity is quite lucrative though, doesn't it.  

On 3/21/2022 at 12:05 PM, Gotham Kid said:

What he said. When you start grading flakes, staples and tiny pieces of a comic book then no end to the lunacy/stupidity.

I completely agree with both of you. It's no longer about the thing in question, but the idea of it.

@topofthetotem posted this in the Water Cooler:

This invisible sculpture just sold for over $18K

On 3/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

I completely agree with both of you. It's no longer about the thing in question, but the idea of it.

How long does it take to carve an invisible sculpture? Is it expensive to ship?

On 3/21/2022 at 10:32 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 3/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, Duffman_Comics said:

This "hobby" has now reached peak stupid.

Yes. It seems stupidity is quite lucrative though, doesn't it.  

I foresee greater stupid. Not sure what it is yet, but the market will find a way...

On 3/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

I call first dibs on the NFT of the invisible sculpture.

I'll have the digital rights to nothing!