• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - Needing help! Book stolen
3 3

192 posts in this topic

Sorry this happened to you. I know others have mentioned this, but shipping these days with any carrier can be super frustrating. I bought a book from a reputable dealer, shipped USPS, and waited weeks for it. They shipped it fine, I followed the tracking, and at various points, it would be "in transit" for a week, then back to the same warehouse to sit for another two weeks. Eventually, I got it. Not fun, but it all worked out in the end. I hope the same thing happens for you.

On the other hand, it seems that you are, perhaps rightfully so, pretty angry. If your phone conversations with CGC or UPS are as angry, I hate to say it, but that might be incentivizing them to just draw the line and make you take the money. They may not want to put much energy into it. (Just my opinion, having been on the other side, having to talk with irate customers. Not making a judgment about how you have been or how you ought to be.)

I hope you get your book or get made whole.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:09 AM, Mmanick said:

I agree I should have picked a better shipping method on my part however is it that much to ask for by paying a shipping company to actually do their job and you know ship my package. I’m not giving up at all and will continue to keep doing everything needed in trying to find my book.

Agreed that it's frustrating, but "doing their job" can also mean paying out the insurance when something goes awry. Not the end you or anyone would hope to see, but that's what insurance is for, isn't it?

I agree I should have picked a better shipping method on my part however is it that much to ask for by paying a shipping company to actually do their job and you know ship my package. I’m not giving up at all and will continue to keep doing everything needed in trying to find my book.

Its lost...give it up and move on.....time to hit the gong on this thread.....

It does seem odd that the book never left CGC. 

They tracked it in Jacksonville, then apparently out to Bakersfield.  If it never left CGC, what were they tracking? 

I do empathize with you. I would be upset as well. Shipping is the biggest reason I bought private insurance.  When things go south with any shipper, they don't exactly bend over backwards to make it right. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:08 AM, lizards2 said:
On 3/22/2022 at 11:49 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I've made a commitment to behaving better online than I would in person.  But this thread is testing me.

All I can say is "blocked"

For the lazy:

03/21/2022
6:56 P.M.
Claim in Progress
A claim has been issued to the sender for your package. Please contact the sender for more information.
Ceres, CA, United States
03/15/2022
1:19 P.M.
An investigation has been opened for your lost package.
Ceres, CA, United States
03/08/2022
7:01 P.M.
On the Way
A late UPS trailer arrival has caused a delay. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be delayed by one business day.
Bakersfield, CA, United States
03/04/2022
5:48 A.M.
Arrived at Facility
Jacksonville, FL, United States
03/04/2022
1:05 A.M.
Departed from Facility
Sarasota, FL, United States
03/03/2022
10:00 P.M.
Origin Scan
Sarasota, FL, United States
03/03/2022
9:10 A.M.

Label Created
Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.
United States

So yeah, this is on UPS's end. They should be refunding CGC who in turn should be refunding you.

I still wouldn't give up hope yet. I'm guessing perhaps the truck was in an accident and packages were damaged. That or someone broke into the truck.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:19 PM, 50 Fiddy said:

Sorry, whenever I see or hear a Chad or Karen say, "Where is your manager", that's the image that pops up in my head.

I was never rude or disrespectful in my calls to either place. Frustrated and firm absolutely but never outlandish. I’ve worked customer service before. 

But this is kind of the point. At the end of the day it is not reasonable to expect zero packages to get lost/stolen/whatever from any shipping company. These things will absolutely happen to someone. So then you go from there. 

Clearly, that UPS shipping manager was blowing smoke. It was physically scanned during the evening sort at the UPS Hub at 10pm. It's a four-hour drive from the Sarasota facility to the Jacksonville facility. (How they can say it's still in CGC's Vault is strange.)

image.png

With items shipped via UPS, does an “Origin Scan” mean UPS actually has the item?

Yes.

The Origin Scan is a physical scan of the package at the hub where the package has been taken to after pick-up, or where it has been dropped-off. It will occur during the evening sort before it is dispatched to the next stop.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:44 PM, JollyComics said:

Thanks @thehumantorch and @KPR Comics for reminding me something.

Anything came out of the box, no label on the box or unreadable label that are going to goods department.  They are checking all tracking numbers and sort them out if those packages were delivered until few tracking numbers left that haven't delivered. They have to figure it out which goods are belonged to.  Yes, it takes a while up to 90 days but 9 months that may be complicated for some reasons.  The invoice is on/inside the box is very helpful. Sometimes, those goods are untraceable and will be sold as the wholesale to the public.

And when I worked at Canada Post we had a dead mail section.  Stuff that fell out of the box or the label had been damaged, etc.  Eventually it went to auction if we couldn't track down the owner.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:29 AM, shadroch said:

This has taken quite the unexpected twist.  I think the worst part is the feeling of helplessness. It sucks when you need to depend on others to do the work and all you can do is sit back and hope.  Best of luck.

That's what I unfortunately seem to not have. I'm the one trying to do the leg work and the two companies are kinda like "men it happens " 

For all the people who think this is some sort of joke I really hope this doesnt happen to you and it can be wi th any courier.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:17 AM, sckao said:

Clearly, that UPS shipping manager was blowing smoke. It was physically scanned during the evening sort at the UPS Hub at 10pm. It's a four-hour drive from the Sarasota facility to the Jacksonville facility. (How they can say it's still in CGC's Vault is strange.)

image.png

With items shipped via UPS, does an “Origin Scan” mean UPS actually has the item?

Yes.

The Origin Scan is a physical scan of the package at the hub where the package has been taken to after pick-up, or where it has been dropped-off. It will occur during the evening sort before it is dispatched to the next stop.

I agree and couldn't understand that but once the warehouse/ shipping manager said they never actually got the package I couldn't believe it.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:33 AM, thehumantorch said:

And when I worked at Canada Post we had a dead mail section.  Stuff that fell out of the box or the label had been damaged, etc.  Eventually it went to auction if we couldn't track down the owner.

A few years ago,when I was still selling mystery boxes here, I got a complaint from a guy whose package arrived all taped up. I had the label showing it weighed 27 pounds when I mailed it, but he said it was less than 10 pounds. Evidently, it had broken open in transit, and there was a note inside the box to that affect. We worked out a partial refund and I figured it was over.  A month or so goes by and I come home to find two boxes on my front stoop.  Within the box that had broken open, I'd packed the books in boxes I'd recieved. Somebody in the PO somewhere found these two boxes and sent them to me. I'd only lightly taped them as they were going into a bigger box but thats how they were returned to me after being who knows where for weeks.