• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh man, my cousin and I went to the lake and dug up a metal condm tin from the 1940's.

We didnt open it, but was a story to tell, other than that a 1916 penny was the closest I had or 1914, I forget but want to say the teens. I gave it to my cousin as a gift for getting me to try the hobby for a while. I kept the penny from 1944, as I was in college at the time and the year had some story to take to class.

After the condm tin, I relinquished the hobby lol

:roflmao

Canadian large cents? Aren't they sort of rare?

On 7/8/2022 at 8:52 AM, shadroch said:

Canadian large cents? Aren't they sort of rare?

oh I'm not sure what was worth keeping or sought after, my cousin seemed a bit happy about the tin find, but I didn't really get gassed up on the hobby. I thought it was fun for kicks, but I didn't go into all of the details.

My friend got into metal detecting a few years back. He's mostly found junk but he enjoys it.  One of his neighbors daughters lost her engagement ring and he was a hero when he found it for her. 

Edited by shadroch

On 7/8/2022 at 6:49 AM, shadroch said:

He came by last night and spent a few hundred bucks. He actually went through two tubs of loose cars, rejected ones with bad paint defects and gave me forty cents each for the rest.  He went nuts over a Marx tin locomotive that I paid $5 for. I've seen it on ebay for $10-15 but he insisted it be part of the deal. I'm not sure if I made any profit, but losing two big tubs of anything is good.  He noticed three old bug spray dispensers that I'd paid $5 for the lot and offered me $25 for two of them.  I asked $30 for the three but he didn't want the third one.  I negotiated him down to $25 for the three and we both were happy. He also took a couple of paper mache figures I'd somehow come across.  The best part of the night was finding two comic boxes when I moved the tubs. The first was mostly Legends of the Dark Knight, with a handful of 1980s Batman books, but the other was a nice run of Avengers from 94 to 200. 

Sometimes breaking even at a couple hundred bucks is a great thing. Getting rid of tubs of stuff I don’t want anyway is a victory most of the time. (thumbsu

On 7/8/2022 at 8:13 AM, Robot Man said:

Sometimes breaking even at a couple hundred bucks is a great thing. Getting rid of tubs of stuff I don’t want anyway is a victory most of the time. (thumbsu

I'm supposed to be out of my leased house by September so every tub and box I move is less I have to worry about later.  I'd put aside two tubs of toys. One with girls stuff, and one with cars for the boys. The idea was to offer every kid who came in with a parent a free toy, so selling the one tub was just found money.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh man, my cousin and I went to the lake and dug up a metal condm tin from the 1940's.

We didnt open it, but was a story to tell, other than that a 1916 penny was the closest I had or 1914, I forget but want to say the teens. I gave it to my cousin as a gift for getting me to try the hobby for a while. I kept the penny from 1944, as I was in college at the time and the year had some story to take to class.

After the condm tin, I relinquished the hobby lol

:roflmao

I have seen a lot of short metal detector finds on IG. Looks kind of fun. Thought about it but living in the “big city” my odds are pretty bad.  :roflmao:

As a kid, the hierachy was Matchbox, Corgi, Husky, with Dinky and Tootsie Toy trailing badly.  Then Hot Wheels came along and the rest were thrown aside.  I'd love to see how Matchboxes US sales fell from 1967 to 1970. I'd guess it was 50% or more. The Five and Ten near me went from having a huge matchbox display, with all 75 models displayed to a much smaller one, and had a wall display of Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning.  By the time Matchbox came out with its superfast rollers or whatever they called it, the train had moved on.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:18 AM, Robot Man said:

I have seen a lot of short metal detector finds on IG. Looks kind of fun. Thought about it but living in the “big city” my odds are pretty bad.  :roflmao:

ya we found the tin at the lake, but in the city. There are public places that don't mind too much, as long as the dig isn't more like an excavation. We bought detectors that only really detected 6-10 inches deep, and everything we "found" was only about 4-6 deep.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, Robot Man said:

Tootsie toys. The Hot Wheels of the 1930’s/1940’s. 

8CEFD140-0287-4E64-832E-9FFB6165562E.jpeg

Love that ambulance!i build ambulances for a living,never thought about ambulances toys before!any info on ambulances miniature?

On 7/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, Namtak said:

Love that ambulance!i build ambulances for a living,never thought about ambulances toys before!any info on ambulances miniature?

It is pre war. Part of a group of military vehicles. It is the more premium Graham series. Made in two parts and very heavy. There is also a commercial panel van from the same casting. Saw it and had to buy it. Never see them in such nice shape. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, Robot Man said:

Picked this up this morning at the grocery store. Really like it. Just looks so vintage. The art looks familiar but just can’t put my finger on the artist. 

20D7CFD8-D27E-4983-B118-F6C146D61796.jpeg

Cover is drawn by Michael Cho as a homage to Sheldon Moldoff.  I still shop from my local comic store every week.

CFD43DD9-E69E-48A6-B55C-2E063003FD55.thumb.jpeg.b4ca0e30b1af95360c29ca02b462ca88.jpeg

Got lucky at my local Target tonight. I actually found a Super Treasure Hunt. There is usually one in every 12 boxes or so. In the year I’ve been looking, I have only found one other. Makes the hunt all worth while!

It is the one in the first picture with the little TH at bottom of back quarter panel. The second picture shows it with the regular common Mainline issue. The Super is also a darker super metallic paint job. 

A9FC896E-4A51-47F8-9D1C-FE3DF7F25B14.jpeg

01631252-8D2A-46E3-9B79-0C81A315F01A.jpeg

Found this weird Halloween set at the grocery store this morning. Lady was just loading the rack. First ones I’ve seen and they didn’t have many. And scored this cool Treasure Hunt Mini Cooper!

Sometimes, it is the little things in life…

5D65B9FD-316C-4FD1-925A-5603807431D3.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man