• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
5 5

306 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2023 at 6:27 PM, Shazbot said:

I like the new Time Shifter

That is the Treasure Hunt in the “M” box. Actually kind of hard to find in my area. This mix contains (other than the Godzilla Nissan) the one I’ve been looking forward to all year, The Mercury Comet Cyclone.

I also like the VW ID Buzz. One I would recommend picking up. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 10/25/2023 at 7:16 PM, comicginger1789 said:

So out of pure nostalgia, I buy a hotwheel every now and then. I have no clue what I’m doing but I go for cars I like (usually muscle cars, especially ones with more metal than plastic). Well this was at the grocery store and  I grabbed it, thinking nothing of it. But for funsies I googled it when I got home and was floored!

IMG_8890.jpeg

Congrats, cool score! I just answered your PM.

Some real nice ones there!

As I have said, I don’t really “collect” these. I buy them for my adult daughter who does. I do enjoy the “hunt” though.

That being said, I do occasionally pick up some for myself.

Best of the year for me.

Had to grab this Mercury Cyclone Gasser. So bad arze and you never see cars like this anymore. Classic American muscle! 

Beatles Yellow Submarine. I mean how classic is this. Now that these are off the pegs, it has great “potential”. Not really for Hot Wheel collectors but for Beatle collectors. Grab a few if you run into them.

And finally, the one I wanted the most. The Godzilla Nissan Skyline GTR. They were VERY hot. Apparently, one of the beasts of Japanese engineering. I could care less about “rice burners” but it is GODZILLA! King of the monsters! Again, great potential to collectors of him and monster stuff in general.

By the way, Barbie collectors are gladly paying $10-15 gladly for the pink Corvette currently. And there are a lot of Barbie collectors out there…

IMG_7742.jpeg

IMG_6566.jpeg

IMG_6598.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 11/14/2023 at 12:13 PM, Robot Man said:

The Godzilla Nissan Skyline GTR. They were VERY hot. Apparently, one of the beasts of Japanese engineering.

It is! The R32 GT-R dominated the Australian Bathurst Racing Series, winning every race it entered into. Which is how it earned the nickname Godzilla. Plus the RB26 can easily push 600+ HP with minimal mods. 

I could go on about this car all day, but I’ll just leave it at that.

Fun, unexpected grocery store score this morning. Went shopping early and the nice lady was stocking the pegs. Was a little older case N that I had missed most of. No Super TH but 3 regular THs. Got the last regular TH I needed for this years set. Took one for my daughter and one for me. I left one buried for the next hunter. 

IMG_7908.jpeg

On 3/24/2024 at 2:37 PM, Hepcat said:

Do any of you fellows collect the Matchbox cars that were originally issued in the little boxes?

matchbox-lesney.jpg

???

I don’t really collect them but I have accumulated some over the years. Not as popular as Hot Wheels but there are a lot of dedicated collectors.

These were of my era. By the time Hot Wheels came out, I was into rock ‘n roll, girls and real cars. 

On 3/25/2024 at 10:36 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t really collect them but I have accumulated some over the years. Not as popular as Hot Wheels but there are a lot of dedicated collectors.

These were of my era. By the time Hot Wheels came out, I was into rock ‘n roll, girls and real cars. 

Same here on both counts.

I remember admiring the Matchbox displays at local variety and hardware stores during my formative comic buying years but I was sixteen and in eleventh grade when Hot Wheels were introduced. Therefore it's the Matchboxes such as the ones in the numbered boxes I've pictured that I might eventually more actively collect:

62368793_1_x.jpg

:)

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/25/2024 at 12:53 PM, Hepcat said:

Same here on both points.

I remember admiring the Matchbox displays at local variety and hardware stores during my formative comic buying years but I was sixteen and in eleventh grade when Hot Wheels were introduced. Therefore it's the Matchboxes such as the ones in the numbered boxes I've pictured that I might eventually more actively collect:

62368793_1_x.jpg

:)

My uncle was a big Match Box collector.