• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $3.12 million Cap 1 sale makes me ask again: Where will this book stand in the GA hierarchy?
6 6

161 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

What’s the best?

My guess would be that if Dave Anderson doesn't own the Church copy, it's because he doesn't want to own the Church copy, so his copy must be better. But many of the best copies of these key books were probably locked up in private second-owner collections fifty years ago, so there may be several copies out there that are nicer than the 8.5.

But weren't there two printings of Supes #1? I thought that I had read that somewhere, but if there were two printings, CGC doesn't seem to distinguish between them.

On 4/17/2022 at 7:55 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

My guess would be that if Dave Anderson doesn't own the Church copy, it's because he doesn't want to own the Church copy, so his copy must be better. 

But weren't there two printings of Supes #1? 

DA supposedly has the best since he chose after looking at the candidates.  

There are two or three printings distinguished by an internal house ad which says “coming soon” in one version and “on sale now” in the other.  CGC has adopted the “bury it” attitude towards this very material info which should result in price variations.

On 4/17/2022 at 11:55 AM, sfcityduck said:

DA supposedly has the best since he chose after looking at the candidates.  

There are two or three printings distinguished by an internal house ad which says “coming soon” in one version and “on sale now” in the other.  CGC has adopted the “bury it” attitude towards this very material info which should result in price variations.

It seems really odd that CGC would not distinguish between the printings. It would seem obvious that the one that says "on sale now" is the reprint.

One comparable example that came to mind was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, since there were a few printings of that copy. It looks like a second printing recently sold for around $4,000 in 9.4, whereas a first printing in 9.4 sold for $36,000 a couple of years ago, so the first printing is going for at least nine times as much.

I can't understand how CGC could justify not differentiating between a first printing and a reprint when we're talking about such an important comic book. I don't swim in that part of the pool anyway, so I have no skin in the game, but it seems odd.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/17/2022 at 1:10 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It seems really odd that CGC would not distinguish between the printings. It would seem obvious that the one that says "on sale now" is the reprint.

One comparable example that came to mind was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1, since there were a few printings of that copy. It looks like a second printing recently sold for around $4,000 in 9.4, whereas a first printing in 9.4 sold for $36,000 a couple of years ago, so the first printing is going for at least nine times as much.

I can't understand how CGC could justify not differentiating between a first printing and a reprint when we're talking about such an important comic book. I don't swim in that part of the pool anyway, so I have no skin in the game, but it seems odd.

I think the problem is that there are three printings, and they don't have a clear way to discern 2nd from 3rd. But I agree all of them should be noted if the ad says On Sale Now, or On Sale XX Date

I believe the first big GA book where we will see this type of distinction would be Marvel Comics 1 since it's a very clear and obvious difference right on the front cover which anybody can easily see.  :shiftyeyes:

Especially since this distinction has also been outlined in the Overstreet guide for decades now (albeit still no separate valuation listings :facepalm:), whereas this has yet to even happen for both Batman 1 and Superman 1.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/17/2022 at 5:58 PM, lou_fine said:

I believe the first big GA book where we will see this type of distinction would be Marvel Comics 1 since it's a very clear and obvious difference right on the front cover which anybody can easily see.  :shiftyeyes:

Especially since this distinction has also been outlined in the Overstreet guide for decades now (albeit no separate valuation listings :facepalm:), whereas this has yet to even happen for both Batman 1 and Superman 1.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Well, the period is easy enough to see on the Batman 1. I do wish that the period/no-period copies were broken out separately in the census. I think it would be of interest to collectors to know how many of each had been slabbed and in what grades. For me, it would just be to satisfy my curiosity because I won't be owning a copy of either unless I win the lottery (and I don't play).

On 4/17/2022 at 3:01 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, the period is easy enough to see on the Batman 1.

Even so, my bet is that most collectors still don't know about this slight distinction, especially since even I can't remember off the top of my head if it was the period or no-period copy that is the rarer of the two, without first checking.  :facepalm:

But we all know that October comes before November.  At least I hope so and if you don't, then there's really not that much I can do for you here. lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/17/2022 at 6:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Even so, my bet is that most collectors still don't know about this slight distinction, especially since even I can't remember off the top of my head if it was the period or no-period copy that is the rarer of the two, without first checking.  :facepalm:

But we all know that October comes before November.  At least I hope so and if you don't, then there's really not that much I can do for you here. lol

I also don't know which one is rarer, but the period was supposedly added during the run (and they put it in the wrong place), so you could think of the version without the period as the "original."

On 4/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I also don't know which one is rarer, but the period was supposedly added during the run (and they put it in the wrong place), so you could think of the version without the period as the "original."

Now watch all of the Bat 1 holders take out their big eraser and and try to scrape away that horrible looking "valuation reducing" period.  lol

On 4/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It seems more likely that the period was the original, and they just chiseled it off the plate because it was in the wrong place.  I know this debate took place at least once on this site, maybe ten years ago or so.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:11 AM, sfcityduck said:

It seems more likely that the period was the original, and they just chiseled it off the plate because it was in the wrong place.  I know this debate took place at least once on this site, maybe ten years ago or so.

I'll have to hunt for that thread—but not tonight!

On 4/17/2022 at 3:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Now watch all of the Bat 1 holders take out their big eraser and and try to scrape away that horrible looking "valuation reducing" period.  lol

On 4/17/2022 at 10:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

It seems more likely that the period was the original, and they just chiseled it off the plate because it was in the wrong place.  

Oh, crappers.........WTF, now you tell us after all this.  :sumo:  :censored:

Now I am going to have to look for that bottle of glue to stick that darned "period" back onto the book that I just finished scraping off. :frustrated:  lol