• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June Auction
7 7

756 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, tth2 said:

Why is there all this criticism of the artistic quality of the DK #1 cover, and yet I don't remember any criticism of the artistic quality of the page from Hulk 180 featuring Catdude Wolverine, drawn by Herb Trimpe?

There is no way that anyone can tell me a drawing by Herb Trimpe trumps anything by Frank Miller on a purely artistic/aesthetic level.

Well, I think with Trimpe there’s no defending it most of the time.   He’s into eye gouge territory a lot of the time.   by all accounts a great guy, yada yada, but no one is going to defend the artistic skill on display as anything much past professional minimum standards.      

Conversely, if you choose to try to minimize Miller, or Kirby, or Ditko, you can find something to criticize if you choose to make “pretty picture” artwork your gold standard.   

In other words, Miller and so on are some peoples cup of tea and not the cup of tea for others and that can be controversial.    Trimpe is no one’s cup of tea.    

If one can’t appreciate this cover because it doesn’t have 89000 tiny ink lines on it, it’s a pointless argument.  

I also think there is some level of Color bias in comic art collecting.    Black and white pieces are “safe” and “normal” to people that only collect comic art.   Painted Color work to some, is “scary.”   (Except frazetta because for decades they’ve heard that’s okay). 

For my part I can remember trying to personally recreate the DKR cover in ink when I was about 13 for an evening.   Huge impact at the time on all of us that read it. 

Edited by Bronty

On 5/23/2022 at 11:39 PM, Bronty said:

If one can’t appreciate this cover because it doesn’t have 89000 tiny ink lines on it, it’s a pointless argument.  

(thumbsu

On 5/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, christosgage said:

Take Herb Trimpe's name out your f***in' mouth!

In all seriousness though, I love Trimpe's art with all my heart, with the exception of his 90s experimentation with a more Image type style. I realize that's not totally objective and nostalgia is involved, but I don't think it's just that.

Sure.   No disrespect to Mr Trimpe.    He was a professional artist for a long time and deserves respect for that.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:52 PM, batman_fan said:

Herb Trimpe was drawing Hulk back when I 1st started collecting comics.  For me his work is what I think of when I think of the Hulk.

I love virtually everything he did on the title.

He was drawing Hulk when I started collecting comics too, but I think Marie Severin was inking him so he looked pretty good.

I just did a final run through the Signature Auction previews and would like to note for the record that my mind is officially boggled at the sheer quantity and quality of the OA listings. 

On 5/23/2022 at 11:39 PM, Bronty said:

Well, I think with Trimpe there’s no defending it most of the time.   He’s into eye gouge territory a lot of the time.   by all accounts a great guy, yada yada, but no one is going to defend the artistic skill on display as anything much past professional minimum standards.      

Conversely, if you choose to try to minimize Miller, or Kirby, or Ditko, you can find something to criticize if you choose to make “pretty picture” artwork your gold standard.   

In other words, Miller and so on are some peoples cup of tea and not the cup of tea for others and that can be controversial.    Trimpe is no one’s cup of tea.    

I also think there is some level of Color bias in comic art collecting.    Black and white pieces are “safe” and “normal” to people that only collect comic art.   Painted Color work to some, is “scary.”   (Except frazetta because for decades they’ve heard that’s okay). 

For my part I can remember trying to personally recreate the DKR cover in ink when I was about 13 for an evening.   Huge impact at the time on all of us that read it. 

I can't appreciate this cover because I don't personally like the artwork. That's not because it doesn't have 89,000 tiny ink lines, but merely because it is not attractive to my eye. I'm well aware that I'm in the minority.

The cover is two things: 1) airbrush and 2) silhouette. 

1) I don't care for the airbrush work. And for me, that's surprising, because I enjoy airbrush and spray paint effects. Drew Struzan is among my favorite illustrators and I love his extensive use of airbrush. Ben Oliver is an immensely talented current artist that I follow on Instagram, and he makes great use of airbrush effects. I love street/graffiti art, which is primarily some form of aerosol paint. Yet, Frank Miller's use of it on that cover, I don't care for. When I see it, it makes me think of the countless paint and body shops in Miami that were poorly airbrushing every lowered and obnoxiously modified 1990's Honda Civic in town. I think of bad (in my opinion) urban car art when I see the DKR airbrush.

2) And the silhouette? It's just a silhouette. I don't like the non-fluttering cape.

Just my 2c.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:03 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I can't appreciate this cover because I don't personally like the artwork. That's not because it doesn't have 89,000 tiny ink lines, but merely because it is not attractive to my eye. I'm well aware that I'm in the minority.

The cover is two things: 1) airbrush and 2) silhouette. 

1) I don't care for the airbrush work. And for me, that's surprising, because I enjoy airbrush and spray paint effects. Drew Struzan is among my favorite illustrators and I love his extensive use of airbrush. Ben Oliver is an immensely talented current artist that I follow on Instagram, and he makes great use of airbrush effects. I love street/graffiti art, which is primarily some form of aerosol paint. Yet, Frank Miller's use of it on that cover, I don't care for. When I see it, it makes me think of the countless paint and body shops in Miami that were poorly airbrushing every lowered and obnoxiously modified 1990's Honda Civic in town. I think of bad (in my opinion) urban car art when I see the DKR airbrush.

2) And the silhouette? It's just a silhouette. I don't like the non-fluttering cape.

Just my 2c.

Contradictory statements.

In addition, counsel's case for the existence of color bias rests, your honor.     

I have a good 400 or so paintings that employ airbrush.    There's nothing wrong with the airbrush on that cover IMO.    Is it incredibly sophisticated, no, but its not trying to be.   Its designed to be a stark cover, and its well executed in that regard.

racist-thats.gif

Edited by Bronty

On 5/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, Bronty said:

Contradictory statements.

In addition, counsel's case for the existence of color bias rests, your honor. 

racist-thats.gif

Most of my art collection are painted pieces. Certainly no bias against painted comic art. Just biased against painted comic art that I don't think is good, in my opinion.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:03 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I don't like the non-fluttering cape.

It resembles a massive pair of garden shears, or some sort of monstrous sawtooth-filled beak.

Edited by TupennyConan

On 5/25/2022 at 1:16 PM, TupennyConan said:

It resembles a massive pair of garden shears, or some sort of monstrous sawtooth-filled beak.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, batman_fan said:

Pure Trimpe :luhv:

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 5.15.20 PM.png

Lovely cover.   The colorist did a fine job :kidaround:

in all seriousness Trimpe had his moments.   I enjoy the hulk 141 cover and hard to forget 181.

Edited by Bronty