• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June Auction
7 7

756 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, tth2 said:

Good lord!

It's a full scale rush for the exits now!

On a more serious note, I'm surprised the item description doesn't describe the media that was used to create the cover.  Does anyone know? 

Looks like a recent edit:

Ink over graphite on Bristol board with airbrush color work, image size 12" x 18". Signed by both artists as "FM/LV" in the lower center. A few visible surface scuffs and finger bends; otherwise, in Excellent condition.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:28 AM, delekkerste said:

☁️   
                            ☁️
                            ☁️
                            🌧

💧BFAAFA51-4D88-430D-B96A-A9B1FC19074D.webp.13cf9e0fc3245738881d76eb2178b790.webp

On 5/16/2022 at 5:39 PM, Bronty said:

Compared to the secret wars page, it should, but its hard for me to imagine that it will. 

I am not a Miller fan, I don’t do DC and I have always found DKR very hard to read , so I guess I am truly unbiased here . But from the point of view of sheer artistic quality and impact on the medium there is just no comparison , this one is hard to beat !

On 5/16/2022 at 10:28 AM, delekkerste said:

This has got to get 7 figures and has to beat that Secret Wars #8 Spider-man record?  Any guesses? I don't follow OA but based on the SW #8 this has got to get 4-6 million?

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 5/16/2022 at 11:33 AM, tth2 said:

Good lord!

It's a full scale rush for the exits now!

On a more serious note, I'm surprised the item description doesn't describe the media that was used to create the cover.  Does anyone know? 

From the Heritage press release:

Miller says rendering the final version was relatively "simple." He composed the pieces, inked the silhouette, then drew a single pencil line indicating the placement of the lightning bolt. Next to it he wrote, simply, "Lightning." He then handed the piece to Varley, the renowned colorist, to finish the painting [using an airbrush].

On 5/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, Xenosmilus said:

This has got to get 7 figures and has to beat that Secret Wars #8 Spider-man record?  Any guesses? I don't follow OA but based on the SW #8 this has got to get 4-6 million?

I was wondering the same. I feel like it could even hit 8 figures, but 4 mil has got to be the minimum, right? Honestly, I can’t believe it’s being sold.  

Apparently, ComicConnect has pulled the Comics Interview #31 Frank Miller Dark Knight cover (planned for Auction #50) likely as a result of the DKR1 consignment....consignor has one of two thoughts:

(A)  Yikes, no way I'm competing with that!  Two DKR covers is too many for June.

or

(B)  Wait for Heritage's record-breaking sale...then ride the wave in September.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:31 PM, Fakersaleen said:

I noticed the last page from Walking Dead #1 and also the cover from issue #21 are in the June auction, too.

Has WD tanked any since it has left the popular consciousness??

Edited by cstojano

On 5/17/2022 at 12:40 PM, GreatEscape said:

Apparently, ComicConnect has pulled the Comics Interview #31 Frank Miller Dark Knight cover (planned for Auction #50) likely as a result of the DKR1 consignment....consignor has one of two thoughts:

(A)  Yikes, no way I'm competing with that!  Two DKR covers is too many for June.

or

(B)  Wait for Heritage's record-breaking sale...then ride the wave in September.

They pulled the Ronin cover as well.

On 5/17/2022 at 12:28 AM, delekkerste said:

Grail of grails for many

Fasten your seatbelts folks, 6 million is possible.......with more great OA in coming auctions as I'm sure the winner will be selling some killer material to fund their purchase

Historic time in the hobby🙂

On 5/18/2022 at 5:08 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Grail of grails for many

Fasten your seatbelts folks, 6 million is possible.......with more great OA in coming auctions as I'm sure the winner will be selling some killer material to fund their purchase

Historic time in the hobby🙂

I can't count the number of times over the years I've heard fellow collectors say, " I'd sell every piece in my collection just to get that one piece." I can't even remember one of those pieces they were talking about at this moment. So from this day forward I'll just assume they were speaking of this one :smile:

Edited by grapeape

I am likely the only person in the free world that looks at the DKR cover and says “hard pass”. To me there is nothing remarkable or even memorable about the cover.  Historically a pretty important issue but from an artistic standpoint is it pretty basic.  Hearing peoples predictions on it helps me to understand how this piece sold for $44.8 million

70EC4BB9-6BC0-4037-AD3C-F51DA8350B05.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan