• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June Auction
7 7

756 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2022 at 1:57 PM, Nexus said:

He was so confident, that he gleefully looked forward to rubbing other people's $1M+ guesses in their faces when this was over. Even better, he offered to eat his hat on Bill Cox's Comic Art Live show if the cover went for over $1M. Which of course it did within 24 hours. So we all have that to look forward to, at least.

So, I guess the real question at this time is what condiment works well with a hat:

Ketchup?

Grey Poupon?

A1?

Anyone know who the 3.3 million zeck OA buyer was?

A person who grew up in the eighties reading secret wars.....? Made multimillions with less than $50 K base investment in Bitcoin...now $10 mill is pocket money to them

If this person wants DK1 and a few other similar deep pocketed buyers do.....anything is possible

I'm pretty sure Eric Roberts would be interested....all hed have to do to raise some $ is sell a few of his stellar pieces

On 5/28/2022 at 7:11 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

I'm pretty sure Eric Roberts would be interested....all hed have to do to raise some $ is sell a few of his stellar pieces

Don’t think Mr Roberts would ever have to sell a piece(s) to afford a piece. I believe he’s someone who can simply leave the paddle up until the auctioneer stops talkin ; )

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 5/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, tth2 said:

Did anyone think it wasn't going to break $1m?

Does anyone know if there's going to be a reserve on it?

I spoke to someone who thought it might not, which is why I was watching for when it crossed.  

Over under?

4.5m?

Edited by Bronty

On 5/29/2022 at 11:41 AM, grapeape said:

The DKR 1 cover might actually sell to someone with money who is not connected to collecting original comic art.

The piece is representative of a cultural rebirth of the caped crusader. Gotham is New York. It’s pre 9-11 just like Watchmen. I believe it had a reach beyond normal comic geek culture.

Someone wants this because it would be in a time capsule, same as Watchmen, if we wanted to leave future generations a taste of what was going on in the eighties. The stories of course. But the #1 cover is the symbol of 80’s comics. It’s genius. I don’t care how many “it’s fugly” comments find this post.

DKR 1 is the eighties and the final price should get the attention of a wider audience beyond the OA crowd when it’s all done.

I can’t wait.

You may well be right about the winning buyer....

On 5/29/2022 at 8:27 AM, Bronty said:

I spoke to someone who thought it might not, which is why I was watching for when it crossed.  

Over under?

4.5m?

:news: May 30, 2020

Bronty I am always pretty accurate on my final bid predictions except when the threshold is $1M. I predicted TOS 59 splash over and it “only” went for $630,000. doh!

I plan to follow in the tradition of the infamous sports prognosticator Jimmy the Greek, may he Rest In Peace. No matter how squirrelly his picks one week Jimmy would come back bolder than ever with a new, outrageous prediction.

Heres what I think. In the end at least 2 non comic art collectors will battle for the DKR1. Maybe a celebrity, a crossover fine art collector, a rock star or some guy with deep pockets. Deep enough that if you rub that person the wrong way they just buy out your company.lol

The existing OA community does have    collectors and a few dealers that could rationalize bidding into that 3.5M range. What might motivate those bidders is what DKR1 represents. The prestige and feelings of accomplishment for taking down a high altitude trophy is heady stuff. It would be at least for the foreseeable future a buy for the personal collection. But once they get into that Secret Wars 8 territory I think their convictions will wain.

Then my mystery bidders engage in the live round until only 1 stands.

PREDICTION DKR 1 goes over $4.5 with BP included.

Get your rotten 🍎 and 🍅 ready 🍇 🦍 will take his lumps if he’s wrong. But I’ve built my shaky, attention seeking case on logic that makes sense to me.

Edited by grapeape

On 5/30/2022 at 11:32 AM, grapeape said:

:news: May 30, 2020

Bronty I am always pretty accurate on my final bid predictions except when the threshold is $1M. I predicted TOS 59 splash over and it “only” went for $630,000. doh!

I plan to follow in the tradition of the infamous sports prognosticator Jimmy the Greek, may he Rest In Peace. No matter how squirrelly his picks one week Jimmy would come back bolder than ever with a new, outrageous prediction.

Heres what I think. In the end at least 2 non comic art collectors will battle for the DKR1. Maybe a celebrity, a crossover fine art collector, a rock star or some guy with deep pockets. Deep enough that if you rub that person the wrong way they just buy out your company.lol

The existing OA community does have    collectors and a few dealers that could rationalize bidding into that 3.5M range. What might motivate those bidders is what DKR1 represents. The prestige and feelings of accomplishment for taking down a high altitude trophy is heady stuff. It would be at least for the foreseeable future a buy for the personal collection. But once they get into that Secret Wars 8 territory I think their convictions will wain.

Then my mystery bidders engage in the live round until only 1 stands.

PREDICTION DKR 1 goes over $4.5 with BP included.

Get your rotten 🍎 and 🍅 ready 🍇 🦍 will take his lumps if he’s wrong. But I’ve built my shaky, attention seeking case on logic that makes sense to me.

I tend to agree with you!

But I truly don't know if it ends for 2m or 7m!

I like the chances for 4.5+ as well!

On 5/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, Bird said:

you place pencils on surface and light shines from below, allowing image to be seen through second piece of paper placed on top of the pencils, which is then inked

the inked image has no pencils underneath

Mike Royer is currently taking commissions, so I should point out that when he uses a lightbox, he pencils the work as he would ink it- meaning the pencils will, for the most part, look like finished work. He then inks over those pencils.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, szav said:

Did someone, I mean no one ask for the official Garfield update??  Ok which one of you did this?.....................to be fair the rest went dirt cheap.

image.thumb.png.e001fa2c88607efed3d5ac3341bd9461.png

That's the one I wanted. Early art. Garfield and Odie. Newspaper gag. But it went way higher than I was willing to go.
I ended up with a nice Sunday (that is likely by a studio artist rather than Davis), but now I have my one Garfield example and am content.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:07 AM, rikemice said:

That's the one I wanted. Early art. Garfield and Odie. Newspaper gag. But it went way higher than I was willing to go.
I ended up with a nice Sunday (that is likely by a studio artist rather than Davis), but now I have my one Garfield example and am content.

Check Rice off the list!!!

1053598019_SpongebobCheckedOFfthelist.gif.9c8e2e21ff126b2ca2344593e707f187.gif

Who's next to get their Garfield?! Move the line along, we've got A LOT more to get through!!

On 5/31/2022 at 12:07 PM, rikemice said:

I wanted that one too, at first, but seeing it had four big stats on it - pass.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:07 PM, rikemice said:

One and done.

GARFIELD050309.jpeg

Yeah, that works. I like that one. A minimum of cheese and displays great. 

On 5/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, comix4fun said:

Check Rice off the list!!!

1053598019_SpongebobCheckedOFfthelist.gif.9c8e2e21ff126b2ca2344593e707f187.gif

Who's next to get their Garfield?! Move the line along, we've got A LOT more to get through!!

Elementary school kids in 1983 would be chomping at the bit with their lunch money to get in on this Garfield action.

On 6/2/2022 at 9:38 AM, kbmcvay said:

Elementary school kids in 1983 would be chomping at the bit with their lunch money to get in on this Garfield action.

At eighty cents a day - that's a LOT of lunch. Maybe I can talk Mom into sending me with fifteen cents for an extra milk.