• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My adventure with 8000+ comic books begins
4 4

217 posts in this topic

Wow! What a great story. I would love to see what you acquired. Best of luck going through the inventory. I recommend

(1) set time limits to force you to take breaks, walk around and clear your head. can't tell you how many times I've almost smashed a comic book(s) because i got tired and became complacent

(2) leave yourself plenty of walking space around the comics. same reason as above.

(3) elicit help from someone who knows the value of comic books. you might be able to pay them in comics.

(4) remind yourself, constantly - be patient cuz there's no hurry.

PS - I just spent the last several hours going thru my entire collection to find 2 missing comic books. turns out they're at CGC for grading.

Get some help from a comics guy.

Check every book - because the one you miss is likely the $1000 key.

Look upon it as fun, not a job - and learn as you check the books.

Use ebay - the prices they sell for is a basic 'what are they worth NOW' as opposed to a 1 yr old guidebook

Have fun!

PS: Don't discount those 'adult' comics - they usually sell like hotcakes. The Penthouse, Sizzler, Playboy comics are easy $10 - $30 sellers each, all day long.

First off, wow! You really jumped head first into the world of comic collecting. 

I'll echo what others have said... It would be good to get a comic guy to go through those boxes.  It would be easy to let some pretty valuable ones sell for pennies on the dollar. 

Second, use eBay prices. Overstreer is an awesome resource, but the pricing is a bit behind. 

Lastly, good luck and enjoy them! 

Thanks for the tips - the only hurry is to get them out of 2 living rooms and the side of the dining room to appease the wife lol.  If it starts taking too long, I'll take the boxes down to the shop and store them there and bring them home one at a time to process maybe.  I don't want to resort to putting them in the barn 8-)

I'm not sure any of these will be candidates for grading - with coins I don't even think about it unless it's a several hundred dollar coin at a minimum, and usually don't even do it until it's a $750 + or something that is frequently counterfeited where most want it certified or an obscure variety or condition rarity type of thing.

I have no clue what the general rule of thumb is for candidates for grading comic books, I'd be surprised if I run across any worth a few hundred dollars, but I'll ask for opinions if I do I guess.

I wish I knew a comic person locally, I'll have to ask some buddies if they know anyone - no comics shops for an hour in any direction.

Do you guys consider that comicspriceguide.com at least in the ballpark to start with?  8500 ebay searches and narrowing down averages etc doesn't exactly excite me. I found it quite easy looking up that little 250 batch I got last week there.

And Beige - only saw part of 1 box with those here at home so far and of course, the box my kids peeked in - I'm guessing the adult stuff is the bit newer books he got from his friend in late 90's early 00's- stuff like: Forbidden subjects, Phoebe, Hot Young $luts, Carnal Comics, Talk Dirty, Hot Tails, Melody, etc - and that was just about a foot of 1 box.

I tried looking in a few boxes I can get to to give you all a few titles, but of course, I picked 3 boxes of pretty much Ghost Rider, Hulk and Iron Man lol.

If you guys like living vicariously through others, I can post what I find as I price up each group/box but for tonight, it's bedtime.

Thanks All!

Edited by StrikeOutXXX

On 4/24/2022 at 4:06 AM, Domo Arigato said:

My advice......you need to be VERY careful, or you could end up selling books for a few dollars that could fetch a whole lot more. 

Based on your story......it sounds like this guy has had these stored for a lot of years, and hasn't gone through or cherry-picked the good books out of the collection.  There are a LOT of books that were worth very little just a few years ago, that have "popped" and are now worth big money.......and many of them wont be easy to spot for someone with limited comic knowledge.  And that doesn't even take into consideration the obvious key books that might be hiding in the collection.

The good thing is......you're in probably one of the most knowledgeable comic forums on the internet right now.  

So, make a game out of it in here.  Start a thread in the Comics General section and call it "HELP A NOOB SPOT SOME KEY BOOKS".....or whatever you want to call it.  Don't start multiple threads.....just keep it to one thread......that way people can participate if they want, and ignore the thread if they don't.  

Then start posting pictures of your books in it.  Lay 20 to 25 books at a time out on the floor in a rectangle shape....with the entire cover of each book visible.  Get on a stepladder.....take a picture of that bunch and post the picture in your thread.  Then just repeat that process in the thread with additional groups of books.  With 4 or 5 pictures, you could easily cover 100 books at a time.

I'm sure you'll find a lot of members in here would consider it a fun challenge to help spot potentially valuable books......and we could see who can identify key books in the collection first.  The people in this forum would have NO problem spotting higher value books in group pictures like this.

Then, if you want to thank the forum for their help.....you could consider selling these nicer books here once you've figured out a price for them..  We have a (Comics Market - Forum Only Selling Area) located at this link in this forum.  You would just need to make sure you DO NOT do any selling in your thread in the Comics General section....as that is against the forum rules.  This would all help ensure you don't sell any books for a tiny fraction of what they're worth.....and would give the forum members in here a chance to buy some potentially cool books.

That's my advice......for what it's worth.

I will second this idea.

From what @StrikeOutXXX has said , in my opinion, this would allow an easy open dialogue for a lot of these books that may get completely missed.

There are not only keys , but potentially hidden gems , certain Whitmans, current hot books, variants , errors, etc that board members would spot in an instant from just a group photo that even some dealers miss in a rush to sort , price, move items. Just look at how many great pulls show up in the Adventures from the dollar bin thread or how many really obscure issues with little to no sales information that collectors here have been  chasing for years that most traditional sources to find a value are completely inadequate.  

I know this can seem like a lot of work, but the first time someone spots a $1,000+ or even higher book that Overstreet or Go collect has at a fraction of that value ($100) you will be extremely happy you put in that work. Plus considering that as you put it that this has a lot of 60's and 70's books there sure is a lot of potential within those boxes. 

Really hope you do decide to share them here as it would be really interesting to follow you working your way through this collection and seeing what lurks within. 

I would try to separate out by series if possible. That way you can do a quick search of the series to find the key issues of that run. That's a good start at least, then when you have more time for a deep dive for the variants, you can.

listen to the great advice here

obvious books to look for are X-Men, Batman, Detective Comics, New Mutants, Amazing Spider-Man.

a good resource is my comic shop . com, you can look at a title 50 issues at a time and see which ones are hot (usually noted by yellow boxes showing consigned books); the price guide is a good start but only to take out good books, do not exclude books based on guide prices as that may not reflect value

shadroch is right, you are a comic guy now in addition to being a coin guy (I'll trade my buffalo nickels and silver coins for your comics)

After seeing the OP, Jeff, is from Western NY and was setup up at a three-day coin show, I tracked him to the Gold and Silver Expo 2022 in Cheektowaga, NY.  The show was scheduled to end at 3:00 and I got there around 2:30.  

Couldn't find Jeff as people were packing up but eventually I saw the W.B. Mason box from his original picture.  We had a good 45 minute chat.

CB3.thumb.jpeg.2a2f2af398be4e80d4f5adccc335ad64.jpeg.3411cffc9e93d0b0059413a7192cc45d.jpeg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

Hi guys, thanks for all the tips.  Show is over, grass is mowed, hoping to get to at least a few tonight.  I do have a full time job, the coin business on the side, 4 kids at home, sports to take them to, etc etc - trust me though - nobody wants to dig into these as quick as me, bare with me.

These were pretty well arranged in his room by DC/Marvel/Indie and alphabetical, but there were a lot of piles here and there or in some non-comic book boxes that we just kind of stuffed in whatever box had room, so they're not all 100% pre-sorted, plus the whole lowering them down from the 2nd floor, stacking them in the van, unpacking them in various places in the house, they are in no order, and I'm not digging to the bottom to find the "A"s.  I'll just get whatever is on top.

I did see the guy I bought them from today again at the show and asked a few other questions.  He did say when he closed the shop he had a going out of business sale/clearance, and sold a ton, and he's guessing any super-high dollar things (at least in the 80's) were bought then.  He guessed I would find a ton of $20 or so books mixed in with the lower stuff, but he hasn't kept up too much on the prices today.  I asked about some of the 90's and 2000's and he said some were from what his other friend gave him when his own shop closed up in late 90's and he just added them to the pile, and he also put his own personal books he continued to subscribe to and/or buy/read since the shop closed, so I guess that explains the newer things.

@THE_BEYONDER - No offers via PM, but a lot of nice friendly PMs with tips, warnings, welcome, etc.  Appreciate them all.

@Wolverinex More than likely as the sales start and money coming in, it will go back into the business account and buy more coins of course, that is my primary business right now - not sure where this little adventure will take me or cause a fork in my business model.  I'll probably be pulling my hair out and going even grayer with them so who knows.

@BlowUpTheMoon It was nice meeting you today, thank you for the chat, advice, tips, and for being a resource in my corner.  I'm sure we'll talk more in the future.

@Domo Arigato I'll get to them, see 1st paragraph - busy guy.  I doubt I'll have time, or the wife will have patience for taking 25 at a time with a step ladder in the living room as someone suggested, I was thinking more whenever I look up/price a box, just giving a summary of what was in there, rough prices of them, maybe a group shot of some if they're interesting, but 340 pictures of 25 comics at a time doesn't seem like good use of time lol.  Trust me - I'm sure there will be plenty of $1-$5 comics nobody wants to see pictures of.

You guys have given me at least 4 online resources, I may get an overstreet, but I still find it faster to look at things online (type 100+ WPM, and my eyes suck).  With all those resources, I doubt even this newb can screw up or overlook something that every guide says is worth $2.  As I run across things with a bit more potential, I'll dig deeper and ask questions when need be.

Jeff

On 4/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

After seeing the OP, Jeff, is from Western NY and was setup up at a three-day coin show, I tracked him to the Gold and Silver Expo 2022 in Cheektowaga, NY.  The show was scheduled to end at 3:00 and I got there around 2:30.  

Couldn't find Jeff as people were packing up but eventually I saw the W.B. Mason box from his original picture.  We had a good 45 minute chat.

CB3.thumb.jpeg.2a2f2af398be4e80d4f5adccc335ad64.jpeg.3411cffc9e93d0b0059413a7192cc45d.jpeg

Cheektavegas? i musta missed that show

On 4/24/2022 at 4:07 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

Hi guys, thanks for all the tips.  Show is over, grass is mowed, hoping to get to at least a few tonight.  I do have a full time job, the coin business on the side, 4 kids at home, sports to take them to, etc etc - trust me though - nobody wants to dig into these as quick as me, bare with me.

These were pretty well arranged in his room by DC/Marvel/Indie and alphabetical, but there were a lot of piles here and there or in some non-comic book boxes that we just kind of stuffed in whatever box had room, so they're not all 100% pre-sorted, plus the whole lowering them down from the 2nd floor, stacking them in the van, unpacking them in various places in the house, they are in no order, and I'm not digging to the bottom to find the "A"s.  I'll just get whatever is on top.

I did see the guy I bought them from today again at the show and asked a few other questions.  He did say when he closed the shop he had a going out of business sale/clearance, and sold a ton, and he's guessing any super-high dollar things (at least in the 80's) were bought then.  He guessed I would find a ton of $20 or so books mixed in with the lower stuff, but he hasn't kept up too much on the prices today.  I asked about some of the 90's and 2000's and he said some were from what his other friend gave him when his own shop closed up in late 90's and he just added them to the pile, and he also put his own personal books he continued to subscribe to and/or buy/read since the shop closed, so I guess that explains the newer things.

@THE_BEYONDER - No offers via PM, but a lot of nice friendly PMs with tips, warnings, welcome, etc.  Appreciate them all.

@Wolverinex More than likely as the sales start and money coming in, it will go back into the business account and buy more coins of course, that is my primary business right now - not sure where this little adventure will take me or cause a fork in my business model.  I'll probably be pulling my hair out and going even grayer with them so who knows.

@BlowUpTheMoon It was nice meeting you today, thank you for the chat, advice, tips, and for being a resource in my corner.  I'm sure we'll talk more in the future.

@Domo Arigato I'll get to them, see 1st paragraph - busy guy.  I doubt I'll have time, or the wife will have patience for taking 25 at a time with a step ladder in the living room as someone suggested, I was thinking more whenever I look up/price a box, just giving a summary of what was in there, rough prices of them, maybe a group shot of some if they're interesting, but 340 pictures of 25 comics at a time doesn't seem like good use of time lol.  Trust me - I'm sure there will be plenty of $1-$5 comics nobody wants to see pictures of.

You guys have given me at least 4 online resources, I may get an overstreet, but I still find it faster to look at things online (type 100+ WPM, and my eyes suck).  With all those resources, I doubt even this newb can screw up or overlook something that every guide says is worth $2.  As I run across things with a bit more potential, I'll dig deeper and ask questions when need be.

Jeff

There’s going to be comics in those boxes that aren’t worth your time looking up. Those are dollar comics. The job right now is to pull out all the keys and noteworthy comics of value. The difficult part is that if you aren’t knowledgeable w years of experience in comics you won’t know. You should hire someone in your area who is comic savvy to assist. Go to the next comic show in your area and whoever’s there digging through boxes before the show starts are the guys you’re going to want to talk to. They know what’s good.

Edited by littledoom

On 4/24/2022 at 6:58 PM, littledoom said:

There’s going to be comics in those boxes that aren’t worth your time looking up. Those are dollar comics. The job right now is to pull out all the keys and noteworthy comics of value. The difficult part is that if you aren’t knowledgeable w years of experience in comics you won’t know. You should hire someone in your area who is comic savvy to assist. Go to the next comic show in your area and whoever’s there digging through boxes before the show starts are the guys you’re going to want to talk to. They know what’s good.

Agree, or if there are massive runs just post here a quick summary like

X-Men 175-209 (mission some issues), Batman (350-400), Detective Comics (500-600), New Mutants (75-159), Amazing Spider-Man (1-present)