• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My adventure with 8000+ comic books begins
4 4

217 posts in this topic

Well, I got through about 1/2 of the top box I picked.  Looks like it was DC starting with "S".  Mostly 80's/90's.  Stuff like: Secret Origins, The Shadow, The Shadow Strikes, Shadow Cabinet, Shadows Fall, DC Silver Age Classics: Showcase, New Talent Showcase, Showcase '93, Skin Graft, Wrath of Spectre, The Spectre, Spelljammer

Like @littledoom just said probably not worth looking them up, made it through 93 tonight with just about everything priced around $3.

There were 3 from the 60's

1962 Showcase #40 - Metal Men - a higher dollar comic, but... this one is POOR.  Split Spine, Puncture, 1/4 of a page corner ripped off but present, 1/4 of a page ripped and missing, ripped cover, it's a train wreck.

1969 Showcase #85 - Firehair - maybe Fine condition, so not worth a ton

1969 Spectre #9 - about a fine, highest value of the group, but still nothing to write home about.

Many of you messaged me not to expect much out most, especially the DC ones, so about what I expected.

The 2nd half of this box doesn't look that much more promising with a big chunk of Star Trek, then Steel, and Suicide Squad, but at least there are 20 or so 1970's in there with Star Hunters and Superboy in the mix, but those are for tomorrow.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:19 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

Well, I got through about 1/2 of the top box I picked.  Looks like it was DC starting with "S".  Mostly 80's/90's.  Stuff like: Secret Origins, The Shadow, The Shadow Strikes, Shadow Cabinet, Shadows Fall, DC Silver Age Classics: Showcase, New Talent Showcase, Showcase '93, Skin Graft, Wrath of Spectre, The Spectre, Spelljammer

Like @littledoom just said probably not worth looking them up, made it through 93 tonight with just about everything priced around $3.

1962 Showcase #40 - Metal Men - a higher dollar comic, but... this one is POOR.  Split Spine, Puncture, 1/4 of a page corner ripped off but present, 1/4 of a page ripped and missing, ripped cover, it's a train wreck.

1969 Spectre #9 - about a fine, highest value of the group, but still nothing to write home about.

Many of you messaged me not to expect much out most, especially the DC ones, so about what I expected.

The 2nd half of this box doesn't look that much more promising with a big chunk of Star Trek, then Steel, and Suicide Squad, but at least there are 20 or so 1970's in there with Star Hunters and Superboy in the mix, but those are for tomorrow.

Some of the 90's DC had DC Universe Logos (found in place of Direct art or UPC)

.20220424_232552.jpg.3368831d0c9be53f53b6eea1413a0bc7.jpg

Which was in a bunch of titles. Several of them can sell for good money. (Even in rough shape.)

Another factor to be aware of with most of the later books (especially keys or post 2000) Newsstands. Here is a quick guide to distinguish the difference. 

ns_v_de_right.png.769c6de48da584b7bc004480c672f1e9.pngns_v_de-1.png.511dbc204d6ba0b9af564104cca7bac7.png

On 4/24/2022 at 8:19 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

A lot of titles might only have 1-2 keys in the entire series run of possibly 100+ issues in it. Unless it’s Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, Detective Comics or X-Men which have many good ones spread throughout the decades 

Edited by littledoom

On 4/24/2022 at 8:14 PM, JJ-4 said:

New Mutants (75-159)

New Mutants 1-100 is the entire series. Unless you’re referring to current Legacy numbering which is unlikely that he has them. 

Edited by littledoom

On 4/24/2022 at 9:58 PM, littledoom said:

New Mutants 1-100 is the entire series. Unless you’re referring to current Legacy numbering which is unlikely that’s he has them. 

You caught me just making up numbers and $ H I T.

Edited by JJ-4

I may be interested in some of the TMNT stuff (should that exist), if there is what I'm after, the prices are right, and you ship to the sunken mythical continent of Australia. 

Edited by Cat

Thanks for the visual @onlyweaknesskryptonite None had the special logo (Yet.... I hope) 

Found a few Whitman versions, but just like with Newsstand & Direct - I've yet to see any price difference between the different listings.

--------------------

Streamlined my process a bit - enter info in browser tabs, while loading, quick wipe-down remove dust, I gave up trying to remove old tags unless they come off easy, so putting them over old, and pre-made a ton of 1/2/3/4/5 dollar stickers since most will be those.

Got through the rest of the 1st DC-S box.

Star Hunters, Starman, Star Trek, Star Trek the Next Generation, Steel, Suicide Squad, Superboy, Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes.  Most were $2-4, with a few $5 mostly with the Superboy's.  No real individual highlights.

Got the 1st Marvel box I could find was "X's" with only X-Force & X-Men

X-Force was mostly $2-$4 ones, a few were foil stamped upping it a buck, some with cards were neat, but the best were X-Force #4 (Spiderman Crossover) and #19 (1st appearance of Copycat) $7-10

X-Men section had Uncanny X-Men (Most $4-$6 in the 80's, $2-$3 in the 90's), X-Men Classic (Mostly $2-$3), Classic X-Men (Mostly $3), X-Men (1991+ mostly $2-4), X-Men The Early Years & X-Men 2099 mostly $2, X-Men Adventures 1992 ($3) X-Men Adventures II ($2) then some random vs Avengers, Alpha Flight things but not mint ones.

Only real highlights for X-Men were:
The Uncanny X-Men #194 ($12), #198 ($9), #200 ($12), #251 ($20)

Think I'll try to find an indie box next.

On 4/25/2022 at 6:50 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

Found a few Whitman versions, but just like with Newsstand & Direct - I've yet to see any price difference between the different listings.

There are a few sought after Whitmans. Some that just never come up and may or may not have accurate sales comps. I know one I was after for a long time that this year I finally managed to acquire from another board member here.

20220314_164336.thumb.jpg.2dff712a5e02da968b8949c90a97645a.jpg

he also added this one that is very seldom seen.

20220314_164355.thumb.jpg.a1d00f3c3e251e72e8c14bfa76a2a293.jpg

:cloud9:

There is a great thread here specifically discussing Whitmans.

Really there are threads here discussing almost all of the hidden gems. Pence, Foreign, Whitmans, Newsstand, Mark Jeweler's Inserts, Toy Reprints, Later Printings, etc. 

On 4/25/2022 at 11:58 AM, littledoom said:

There’s going to be comics in those boxes that aren’t worth your time looking up. Those are dollar comics. The job right now is to pull out all the keys and noteworthy comics of value. The difficult part is that if you aren’t knowledgeable w years of experience in comics you won’t know. You should hire someone in your area who is comic savvy to assist. Go to the next comic show in your area and whoever’s there digging through boxes before the show starts are the guys you’re going to want to talk to. They know what’s good.

I know where you are going - but if the OP wants to get as much out of this as possible - then knowledge is just as important as $$$

Learning to spot a key in a pile of drek is essential if you want to do well 'in the wild'.

I'd certainly use a 'comics guy' to suggest ways to maximise ease of sorting / selling but the OP should really do the research himself.

If not, he may as well offer the lot up for 4 times his cost and be done with them in bulk.

I guarantee (as would you) that there will be no shortage of takers!

@Beige Kind of my thoughts.  I've had offers for someone to come pick out the good ones so I don't have to waste my time doing what I am doing, but.... I'm sure they could, and it would allow me to get the higher dollar ones up for sale quicker, but I still have to do the rest.  It's not like I'm just selling the good things then donating the rest to goodwill.  I really am learning a ton doing every one, reading the comments in this post, and learning.  I could have done the 4x thing already - wasn't the goal.  Talk to me in a few months when I've dug through all boxes, my eyes and back may have different thoughts then, but not now.

Anyhow, the evening box is done, I typed as I went, so.....

Indie Box - Kind of mixed, was once marked Indie A-D.  Some strange stuff. Indie lookups is much tougher, some are more books than comics, but some interesting things for sure.  After my OCD of rearranging 1/3 of the box alphabetically by title because they were all over the place, I realized this box was at one time his box of publishers A-D (Alpha, Comax, Caliber, Comico, Dark Horse, etc) - oops.  I gave up alphabatizing it and will just write "Indies" on it.  Few of these the online guides didn't have so went with eBay sold or some times a % of asking if no sold.  These are really tough to look up.

Chaos City Aids Awareness ($12)
Amazons (#1 signed)
Americas Printmakers: Currier & Ives
Caliber Presents (Mature)
Cave Girl
Classics Illustrated ('92-'94) 26 of the 27
The Comic Reader #165 1979 - Superman on cover ($10)
D-Day #2 (1964), but only in Good
Deadbeats
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Disasters of War
Elementals ('84-'88)
Elementals ('89-'93)
Elementals Sex Special
Erotic Orbits (#1 Signed)
Fathom
(Gave up alphabatizing here)
Magic Johnson - The unauthorized biography
Nightmark
The Zero Patrol
Torture by Cat Wild
Q-L.O.C. Literary Optical Chronicle
Shuriken The Graphic Novel #1 (Blackthorne, Book 1987 - shows $30+)
Soulsearchers and Company #3 ($10)
Phantom of Fear City
Sirens of the Lost World (#1 Signed)
The Scarlet Zombie (#1 Signed)
Jonny Quest
Justice Machine
Strike Force America
Monolith
Oblivion
Vortex
CultTV & 1 with trading card - Zone Productions
Freaks of Nature - Comic Zone (No idea, not listed)
Killer Cults
Legends and folklore (#1 signed cover Limited Edition 951/1000)
Roadways #1 - Signed & Limited edition
The JFK Assassination Frame 313 - Zone Productions (No clue, eBay)
Malcolm X an Unauthorized Biography - eBay 10-12
Psycho Killers
Armor
Screen Monsters - Unauthorized Clive Barker Special - Zone Productions (no clue)
Drifters
Shi (Crusade) - eBay
Raggedyman
WIIndows
Aliens (Dark Horse)
Aliens Colonial Marines
Alien 3
Aliens Genocide
Aliens Sacrifice
Aliens Salvation
Aliens Stronghold (My lord does Dark Horse love aliens!)
Badger Shattered Mirror
Basil Wolvertons Planet of Terror
Basil Wolvertons Gateway to Horror
Boris the Bear
Catalyst: Agents of Change
Cheval Noir
Colors in Black
Columbus
Dark Horse Classics
Dark Horse Comics
Black Cross Commem Edition/Reprint
Dark Horse Presents

Many of these were $2-5 but I would say the average price was probably more than the 1st DC box - there were a lot of $5-10 in there too.

So I have 3 questions now all pertaining to signatures

1) How would you value a signed comic where they just sign inside the book, usually on top of the 1st page on the right it seemed.  He had them marked $x "Signed"

2) How would you value this one (I didn't crack the label to see where they signed it).

image.png.1f4dd7d784026e84293ae068b2bc9f5d.png

3) How would you value a little bit more elaborate of a signing/special edition?  He had the basic comic which is $3, but the limited edition has many signatures, a "951/1000" on it, etc.  I mean it's a $3 book, what, if anything would it add - mark it $5?

image.thumb.png.dff19fc75918e2b4382a8b2d1cccaa21.png

Enough for today - 3 down, 41 1/2 to go lol.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:28 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

@Beige Kind of my thoughts.  I've had offers for someone to come pick out the good ones so I don't have to waste my time doing what I am doing, but.... I'm sure they could, and it would allow me to get the higher dollar ones up for sale quicker, but I still have to do the rest.  It's not like I'm just selling the good things then donating the rest to goodwill.  I really am learning a ton doing every one, reading the comments in this post, and learning.  I could have done the 4x thing already - wasn't the goal.  Talk to me in a few months when I've dug through all boxes, my eyes and back may have different thoughts then, but not now.

Anyhow, the evening box is done, I typed as I went, so.....

Indie Box - Kind of mixed, was once marked Indie A-D.  Some strange stuff. Indie lookups is much tougher, some are more books than comics, but some interesting things for sure.  After my OCD of rearranging 1/3 of the box alphabetically by title because they were all over the place, I realized this box was at one time his box of publishers A-D (Alpha, Comax, Caliber, Comico, Dark Horse, etc) - oops.  I gave up alphabatizing it and will just write "Indies" on it.  Few of these the online guides didn't have so went with eBay sold or some times a % of asking if no sold.  These are really tough to look up.

Chaos City Aids Awareness ($12)
Amazons (#1 signed)
Americas Printmakers: Currier & Ives
Caliber Presents (Mature)
Cave Girl
Classics Illustrated ('92-'94) 26 of the 27
The Comic Reader #165 1979 - Superman on cover ($10)
D-Day #2 (1964), but only in Good
Deadbeats
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Disasters of War
Elementals ('84-'88)
Elementals ('89-'93)
Elementals Sex Special
Erotic Orbits (#1 Signed)
Fathom
(Gave up alphabatizing here)
Magic Johnson - The unauthorized biography
Nightmark
The Zero Patrol
Torture by Cat Wild
Q-L.O.C. Literary Optical Chronicle
Shuriken The Graphic Novel #1 (Blackthorne, Book 1987 - shows $30+)
Soulsearchers and Company #3 ($10)
Phantom of Fear City
Jonny Quest
Justice Machine
Strike Force America
Monolith
Oblivion
Vortex
CultTV & 1 with trading card - Zone Productions
Freaks of Nature - Comic Zone (No idea, not listed)
Killer Cults
Legends and folklore (#1 signed cover Limited Edition 951/1000)
Roadways #1 - Signed & Limited edition
The JFK Assassination Frame 313 - Zone Productions (No clue, eBay)
Malcolm X an Unauthorized Biography - eBay 10-12
Psycho Killers
Armor
Screen Monsters - Unauthorized Clive Barker Special - Zone Productions (no clue)
Drifters
Shi (Crusade) - eBay
Raggedyman
WIIndows
Aliens (Dark Horse)
Aliens Colonial Marines
Alien 3
Aliens Genocide
Aliens Sacrifice
Aliens Salvation
Aliens Stronghold (My lord does Dark Horse love aliens!)

Badger Shattered Mirror
Basil Wolvertons Planet of Terror
Basil Wolvertons Gateway to Horror
Boris the Bear
Catalyst: Agents of Change
Cheval Noir
Colors in Black
Columbus
Dark Horse Classics
Dark Horse Comics
Black Cross Commem Edition/Reprint
Dark Horse Presents

Many of these were $2-5 but I would say the average price was probably more than the 1st DC box - there were a lot of $5-10 in there too.

So I have 3 questions now all pertaining to signatures

1) How would you value a signed comic where they just sign inside the book, usually on top of the 1st page on the right it seemed.  He had them marked $x "Signed"

2) How would you value this one (I didn't crack the label to see where they signed it).

image.png.1f4dd7d784026e84293ae068b2bc9f5d.png

3) How would you value a little bit more elaborate of a signing/special edition?  He had the basic comic which is $3, but the limited edition has many signatures, a "951/1000" on it, etc.  I mean it's a $3 book, what, if anything would it add - mark it $5?

image.thumb.png.dff19fc75918e2b4382a8b2d1cccaa21.png

Enough for today - 3 down, 41 1/2 to go lol.

I know other may chime in with more but the above bolded books I would look more at ebay recent sale and also check which prints ( multiple prints / reprints ) of some of the Aliens books. Those and the Elementals Sex special. ( that has the woman and the dolphin) you can get more for them. Especially if the Aliens are first prints. 

With the signed books it is more finding out who signed them and seeing their body of work. A lot of times you can just sell signed books (even cheap ones) at $20+ more if they are signed by someone significant. A lot of times just a $20 impulse purchase of a signed item can be quick sales. Biggest detractors is if they are personalized.  

Congratulations on working through them and Thank you for sharing!

On 4/26/2022 at 1:55 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I know other may chime in with more but the above bolded books I would look more at ebay recent sale and also check which prints ( multiple prints / reprints ) of some of the Aliens books. Those and the Elementals Sex special. ( that has the woman and the dolphin) you can get more for them. Especially if the Aliens are first prints. 

With the signed books it is more finding out who signed them and seeing their body of work. A lot of times you can just sell signed books (even cheap ones) at $20+ more if they are signed by someone significant. A lot of times just a $20 impulse purchase of a signed item can be quick sales. Biggest detractors is if they are personalized.  

Congratulations on working through them and Thank you for sharing!

Nail on head.

Those stood out straight away - great minds and all that lol  @onlyweaknesskryptonite

Dark Horse Presents (check issue number)

These above should be worth listing - easy $20+ books to the right buyer.

Congrats, you are absolutely doing this the right way, if you intend to make a go of it. You found them, you bought them - why let others take your profit? 

Honestly mate - 3 hours of looking up books is awful - until the next one is a $300 one, then it all seems a whole lot better.

The only thing I would add - don't pull out anymore books until you have scanned, listed and put these away - use a code on your listing so you know which box you put it in!

Then off you go again!

Hopefully you find some gems and do well. From what I have seen you mention so far though, I worry you might have bought a lot of stuff that is hard to move. Am I right in saying most of it is 80s-90s stuff?

It all boils down to what you paid and the time you put in. It could work out nicely, it could be a big headache. Either way, will be a learning experience with comics which, from where I sit, is always a fun experience. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:28 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Hopefully you find some gems and do well. From what I have seen you mention so far though, I worry you might have bought a lot of stuff that is hard to move. Am I right in saying most of it is 80s-90s stuff?

It all boils down to what you paid and the time you put in. It could work out nicely, it could be a big headache. Either way, will be a learning experience with comics which, from where I sit, is always a fun experience. 

Only been through 3 boxes so far, but I am noticing a bit of a difference than his original suggestions of dates.  From my small sampling, it's looking like it will break down more like:

Few 60's, small chunk of 70's, vast majority of 80s, small chunk of 90's.

He originally told me he closed the shop in the 80's but so far the things from the 90's stop 93/94 so I'm guessing it's closer to that.  He did say he added some stuff from another friend who closed his shop later, and books he bought/read himself after the shop closed, but I doubt he would have filed them in the boxes, I figured they would be in their own boxes.

He also told me he had big sales when he closed his shop and said he doubted there was any high-dollar things in there (from I guess a 93/94 perspective) so yea, if he couldn't sell this stuff in a clearance/fire-sale, they probably weren't very popular 30 years ago to begin with.

Even the books I mark $2 on I can have an 80% off sale and still make money on it, it isn't all about the money - honestly of course I don't want to lose money, and I'd like to make what I can off these, but there were other considerations in play here.  I'm sure if I factor time into the end result it will be a disaster. but

* My friends who run the coin/card/antique/etc shop where the bulk of these are going to go as I get them ready are quite excited.  They have a handful of comics in there, but with these, they are going to put a sign in the window, maybe update their add to include comics in it.  They are hoping to develop some new customers, drive traffic, etc. They get a small % of sales, I get a place to put them not in my living room, all good.

* I don't do much on eBay (Most of my coin business sales online I send through Great Collections) but if there is something really out of the ordinary that makes sense to eBay, they can list them.

* My coin table helper is going to cycle some through his antique booths, and we have a good arrangement for both to be happy, and try to churn some of it

* I already have a lot of want lists even from the other coin dealers - some nice/easy for me like (I'll take all Ghost Riders, or most things horror, or really want a lot of those Adult ones, or please show me any western/war ones, etc) and a lot of PMs from this post, but those are more specific - like I want XYZ #123 - I doubt I'll have things you pro collectors are looking for.

* And lastly - whether I lose 1k, make 20k, break even and donate half a vanload to Goodwill, when this starts winding down, I am going to be a heck of a lot smarter with Comic Books, and instead of just passing over them when I see them, I might know just enough to not make myself look like a buffoon.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the tips/posts/PMs, etc - I see how some of the pro coin folks treat coin newbies and I almost didn't start this thread figuring I'd get roasted more than helped, but am glad at least you've enjoyed my adventure and mostly saved the "This guy is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person" thoughts for you own thought bubble 8-)

On 4/25/2022 at 6:03 PM, Beige said:

Learning to spot a key in a pile of drek is essential if you want to do well 'in the wild'.

I'd certainly use a 'comics guy' to suggest ways to maximise ease of sorting / selling but the OP should really do the research himself.

If not, he may as well offer the lot up for 4 times his cost and be done with them in bulk.

This. 

An up to date comics guy could look through all those books very quickly and pick out important books.  It's like a spider sense.  

On 4/26/2022 at 8:02 AM, Senormac said:

This. 

An up to date comics guy could look through all those books very quickly and pick out important books.  It's like a spider sense.  

This, 100%!

On 4/26/2022 at 9:49 AM, EastEnd1 said:

If this is mostly 1980s books, condition is everything.  They'll need to be in nice shape to score (and warrant the work).

Agree, and if they were at one shop, then pawed thru at another, then cherry picked  . . . 

I hope it isn't that a seasoned collector/LCS owner just unloaded low quality fill books on a newbie.  Buyer beware.