• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My adventure with 8000+ comic books begins
4 4

217 posts in this topic

Thanks @BlowUpTheMoon, maybe next year - don't think I'll have a handle on things in 2 weeks.  Maybe by then I'll be tired of staring at comic books and take everything I marked 2/3/4 there and try at $1.  Or maybe anything currently marked 1/2/3 at 50 cents and 4/5 at $1 but who knows.  Once I figure out what I have - thinking on trying some themed bundles of the low stuff like 20 hulk for $25 or 16 superman for $20.  Even those I'll likely have to sell to parents or kids vs true comic collectors.

If anyone has a chance, was kind of curious on one item I listed in last night's list

War Machine Ashcan Edition (Small thing, anyone explain these to me, prices are all over the place - graded is insane, raw $3-20)

@StrikeOutXXXI'm getting caught up here, a couple of days behind. If no one else has mentioned it, that Spoof Comics Spider-Femme has an Adam Hughes cover, can be a $10-$20 book depending on condition. Other Spoof comics with Hughes covers include X-Babes vs Justice Broads, BatBabe, Daredame, Justice Broads, and amazing heroes swimsuit special. All worth pulling aside. 

From what the OP has posted thus far, it appears he was lied to.  You seem to have gotten the drek of the drek. Did you really pay thirty three cents each for these books?

On 5/4/2022 at 12:07 PM, shadroch said:

From what the OP has posted thus far, it appears he was lied to.  You seem to have gotten the drek of the drek. Did you really pay thirty three cents each for these books?

Guilty as charged.

It certainly appears the lot wasn't as sweet, and he closed the store a little later than he originally said, and he may or may not have had someone come pick through it based on some observations from you pro's.

But... not even 1/2 though the pile, I've still priced over 1000 books at $8 + with about 500 of them at $20+ and a few over $100 (Granted much of that is in the Adult section).  I don't hold much promise in the things I priced 1/2/3 or even a lot of the 4/5 dollar things.  But I now give kids free coins out of the discount bin when they visit my table, I anticipate giving away some comics too - and you know what... I'd say 50% of the time, their parent thanks me profusely and buys something they may not have without the smile on their kids face.

Which brings me to the next question if you comic folks want to give insight.

At comic conventions or even bigger stores, NM copies of 80's/early 90's stuff that price guides have $1-$5 - are these typically in boxes for 10 cents, 50 cents, 3/$1 etc.  At least 90% of this stuff is in excellent condition, so that's something I suppose.

Next question - blind bulk buys for you pro's do you really buy in quantity like this at 10-15 cents a book?  Then what do YOU do with the cruddy stuff - just sell them off at 10/25/50 cents each type of thing?

I've done similar purchases in the coin world - 10,000 full date Buffalo Nickels, or G-VG Indian Head cents at 3/$1, where I end up with maybe 1000 that get put in 2x2s with prices anywhere from $1-$10 as well as usually a handful that are varieties or maybe a nicer date here and there priced higher, and those pay for the lot.  The other 9000 get put in my 50 cent bin, bulk bags, or sell them by the roll, but still more than I paid for them, even if only slightly, but certainly not losing money.  I'm not unaccustomed to similar deals, only difference is these take more room, and well.... I didn't know hardly anything up front about them.

So I probably didn't have the skills to evaluate the lot ahead of time - but my helper did stumble on that Aquaman during the inspection (He forgot to tell me until I e-mailed him the picture when I did find it) that so far is the best of the bunch, and given how his own comic sales in the Antique Booth goes he also saw no way to lose money, just will take time.

So... given YEARS to sell these one way or another, am I going to make 20k - heck no.  But even my limited knowledge I've only acquired in about 1.5 weeks - am I going to lose money - heck no.  But as I've said many times, It wasn't all about the money, I'm paying for a crash-course in comic education as we go... so a year from now the next time someone asks me if I want to buy their collection, I can better evaluate and make smarter decisions (I won't ever be a pro - I don't want to diminish what years and for some of you a lifetime of commitment gained you) .

So yea... guilty as charged.  I bought them, but you know what... so far at least, I probably wouldn't have changed the fact. It's an adventure for sure for me.

Not sure I would shut the door on the "double your money right now" offer.  I know it's like a treasure hunt right now, but there will likely be a time where after months        (years ?) of looking at them taking up space, your time, and your mental energy, that you may say to yourself "why the hell did I take this on...??

Hopefully not, but the luster does often suddenly wear off regarding a project like this...

Edited by hippiecop
punctuation correction

To sell your drek at shows, I'd do the following:

Anything that lists at $2-$5, just sell put them in a $2 box, cut that to $1 each on the last day of the show (or last half day).

Anything that lists at less than $2, put them in a 2 for $1 box which becomes a $3 for $1 box on the last day of the show (or last half day).  

And if they buy at least 50 books total of this drek, knock another 10% off the total.  These are not books you want to be lugging back and forth.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

Guilty as charged.

It certainly appears the lot wasn't as sweet, and he closed the store a little later than he originally said, and he may or may not have had someone come pick through it based on some observations from you pro's.

But... not even 1/2 though the pile, I've still priced over 1000 books at $8 + with about 500 of them at $20+ and a few over $100 (Granted much of that is in the Adult section).  I don't hold much promise in the things I priced 1/2/3 or even a lot of the 4/5 dollar things.  But I now give kids free coins out of the discount bin when they visit my table, I anticipate giving away some comics too - and you know what... I'd say 50% of the time, their parent thanks me profusely and buys something they may not have without the smile on their kids face.

Which brings me to the next question if you comic folks want to give insight.

At comic conventions or even bigger stores, NM copies of 80's/early 90's stuff that price guides have $1-$5 - are these typically in boxes for 10 cents, 50 cents, 3/$1 etc.  At least 90% of this stuff is in excellent condition, so that's something I suppose.

Next question - blind bulk buys for you pro's do you really buy in quantity like this at 10-15 cents a book?  Then what do YOU do with the cruddy stuff - just sell them off at 10/25/50 cents each type of thing?

I've done similar purchases in the coin world - 10,000 full date Buffalo Nickels, or G-VG Indian Head cents at 3/$1, where I end up with maybe 1000 that get put in 2x2s with prices anywhere from $1-$10 as well as usually a handful that are varieties or maybe a nicer date here and there priced higher, and those pay for the lot.  The other 9000 get put in my 50 cent bin, bulk bags, or sell them by the roll, but still more than I paid for them, even if only slightly, but certainly not losing money.  I'm not unaccustomed to similar deals, only difference is these take more room, and well.... I didn't know hardly anything up front about them.

So I probably didn't have the skills to evaluate the lot ahead of time - but my helper did stumble on that Aquaman during the inspection (He forgot to tell me until I e-mailed him the picture when I did find it) that so far is the best of the bunch, and given how his own comic sales in the Antique Booth goes he also saw no way to lose money, just will take time.

So... given YEARS to sell these one way or another, am I going to make 20k - heck no.  But even my limited knowledge I've only acquired in about 1.5 weeks - am I going to lose money - heck no.  But as I've said many times, It wasn't all about the money, I'm paying for a crash-course in comic education as we go... so a year from now the next time someone asks me if I want to buy their collection, I can better evaluate and make smarter decisions (I won't ever be a pro - I don't want to diminish what years and for some of you a lifetime of commitment gained you) .

So yea... guilty as charged.  I bought them, but you know what... so far at least, I probably wouldn't have changed the fact. It's an adventure for sure for me.

Everyone is different but most larger larger dealers I know would not make an offer on a collection filled with the books you are describing. Most would want to regroup their investment in the key books and then the drek is bulked out in $20 a long box deals to people who specialize in massive sales or god know where the $20 boxes end up.  Shad was being a bit harsh but it appears to me the seller knew what he was doing and took advantage of you being a coin guy.  You will make back your money but there is a ton of books in those boxes that will basically have to be given away at Halloween or sold in bulk for 3x$1 which would be a loss for you since you have time invested.  Are they bagged and boarded?

Edited by 1Cool

On 5/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, 1Cool said:

Everyone is different but most larger larger dealers I know would not make an offer on a collection filled with the books you are describing. Most would want to regroup their investment in the key books and then the drek is bulked out in $20 a long box deals to people who specialize in massive sales or god know where the $20 boxes end up.  Shad was being a bit harsh but it appears to me the seller knew what he was doing and took advantage of you being a coin guy.  You will make back your money but there is a ton of books in those boxes that will basically have to be given away at Halloween or sold in bulk for 3x$1 which would be a loss for you since you have time invested.  Are they bagged and boarded?

I believe one of the selling points that convinced the OP to buy was the fact that they are bagged and boarded, thankfully.

On 5/4/2022 at 2:59 PM, revat said:

I believe one of the selling points that convinced the OP to buy was the fact that they are bagged and boarded, thankfully.

The bags and boards are worth what - $0.25 a piece so there is gold in there boxes!

May as well start working through the DC minus the few boxes I did earlier in the project.  Made 2 priced boxes from a mis-match of large/small/vertigo boxes some later from his friend's shop I think.

Action Comics - Started at #626 - 711
- Only things higher than $5 were: 642 and 689 (x3)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Adventure of the Outsiders
The Adventures of Superman - Started at #445 & Annuals
- #465, 466, 496, 497, 7x #505 Holo Foil, Superman Wedding Album Silver Letter
(I did an Al-Ba box last week left off with Batman variants)
All Star Squadron
Batman - Startd with #505
- #507 DC Logo, 512
Batman Legends of the Dark Knight
Batman Punisher: Lake of Fire
Ugh a bunch of Batman stuff I had no clue what series the went to, so just put them in the box in any order: BM Annuals, BM 80 Page Giants, BM Bullock's Law, BM Book of the Dead, BM Gallery, BM Batgirl, BM Mr. Freeze, BM Poison Ivy, BM Scarecrow 3-D, BM & Superman World's Finest (learned a new word - oneshot)

Then came DC/Vertigo (Some just say Veritgo) - wasn't sure if most folks file these in with DC stuff or Indie, but since they came in the DC box, staying in the DC box

The Books of Faerie
The Books of Magic (Comics)
The Books of Magic (Trade Books)
Catwoman
Challengers of the Unknown
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Dial H for Hero
The Dreaming
Doomsday Annual
Ghosts
Green Arrow

Will pick up with Green Lantern tomorrow.

-----

@revat Thanks for the pricing tips, will probably go that route a small box at a time

@1Cool YES YES YES - I never even thought of Halloween - that would save me $100 right there in candy, although knowing kids today, they get a comic book instead of a peanut butter bar, they'll likely egg my house.  and yes, they are bagged and boarded.

Still wondering what an ashcan edition is - those little tiny thin booklets.  In one of the boxes he has had little advertisement sheets of various comics or publishers, I thought I saw some mini comics in there similar to that ashcan I found yesterday, just can't remember what box they were in.

Enough comic adventuring for one day - I'm way behind on my Commonwealth Picker, Froggy Flips, Hairy Tornado, Cincinnati Picker, Mountain Man Treasure, Trash to Cash Podcast, and The Past is Alive youtube videos 8-)

the ashcan is not a big deal . they are small promo comics basically. many of this era were giveaways with wizard magazine and such

I am not sure of the truthfulness of story you were told about where these books came from. It may be a story to help him sell them.

On 5/4/2022 at 6:05 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

All Star Squadron

I believe there are a few in this title that are getting hot.  #25 has some first appearances and #47 is a Todd McFarlane cover.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:56 PM, Yorick said:

I believe there are a few in this title that are getting hot.  #25 has some first appearances and #47 is a Todd McFarlane cover.

No such luck - I only had one of those, it's #23 Newsstand

image.png.76aee95c63433d4f59ea62cc1e9ea422.png

@Bird I figured they were something special - there are over 50 sold over $200 with the highest $899.  Granted some are signed, and they are graded.  A 9.8 War Machine like I have went for $150.  I started wondering if that stack in one of the boxes were ashcans and good ones in good shape, I may have try that grading thing 8-)

EDIT:  Speaking of grading - I've tried giving myself a crash course.  I found 2 webpages that kind of spelled it out the way my brain works.

A) https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/grading

B) https://www.milehighcomics.com/information/grade.html

I think I've read about 8 pages in the grading sub-forum and let's say 9 of 10 I can get to the "Worded" grade just fine - ie, if I think it's Very Good, usually when they post the grade, it's somewhere between 3.5 and 5.0.  I know that's a big range, but I'm getting there.  Still not that great with the 9.0-9.8 spectrum, I tend to cop out and just tell myself it's NM. 

Are there any other good resources I that are worth reading online?

Edited by StrikeOutXXX
Add grading question

I was talking specifically about the war machine ashcan pictured below. it is drek

now a maxx ashcan is different. not a wizard maxx one, that is $5 last I recall, but bold single color ashcans yellow red or blue

I would NOT try the grading thing on something like the war machine ashcan. You are chasing 9.8s only on most of those and anything less is a wash.9.8s are very tough all in all.

638749.jpg

@StrikeOutXXX The Adventures of Superman  #465, 466 - 1st app Hank Henshaw - becomes Cyborg Superman.

$125 + $200 graded 9.8 according to GPA - should be $50+ raw for the pair, easily.

The Books of Faerie
The Books of Magic (Comics)
The Books of Magic (Trade Books)

All easy sellers in complete sets.

There are still some nuggets to be found  in your boxes.

the reason you see such attractive prices on ashcans and other drek for 9.8s is precisely because of the rarity and difficulty of getting them. You may have a few but the chances that you can identify them from the 9.6s and lower are slim (even most of us cannot do that, perhaps all of us cannot do that). The differences between 9.6 and 9.8 are very subtle generally.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:07 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

You will find that these guidelines are stricter on books with an entire leading edge missing off of the front cover than CGC standards would be (as long as it's a Marvel comic, so they can call it "Marvel chipping").

There are a lot of books that aren't worth much normally but have a huge value bump for 9.8 slabbed books, just because the overwhelming majority of even "pretty much perfect looking" books don't make 9.8. It's like sending random coins to PCGS and hoping for MS-68s.

As for that War Machine ashcan, it was basically shipped as a promotional preview shortly before the release of the normal book. It's not very rare, but extremely high grade copies are elusive because of shipping stress, tiny books being generally tougher to get in grade, and the black cover showing defects more easily.