• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Motorcity convention reports?

19 posts in this topic

I completely spaced it - I thought it was this coming weekend. I checked Monday to verify before submitting for a vacation day on Friday, and found I had missed it. I've done pretty well at Motor City over the years and I enjoy going regardless of what I find, but I need to get out of my area to a bigger con.

Also @1Cool had some pics up in the linked thread below.  Attendance was lighter than usual on Friday, but stronger than in years past on Saturday and Sunday.  A lot of dealers reported much better sales Sunday than Saturday on comics.

I figured attendance would be lighter this year, likewise fewer key dealers in attendance for various reasons.  The guest list was absolutely horrible and all of this is incredibly disappointing.

I used to attend this show almost every year since 2000, and Goldman and co and had great dealers and an incredible guest list to entice the masses.  In fact, this show once boasted the third highest attendance for comic shows and it’s just a shame to see it fall by the wayside.

I hope they are able to recover and put on a better show next year!

On 5/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I figured attendance would be lighter this year, likewise fewer key dealers in attendance for various reasons.  The guest list was absolutely horrible and all of this is incredibly disappointing.

I used to attend this show almost every year since 2000, and Goldman and co and had great dealers and an incredible guest list to entice the masses.  In fact, this show once boasted the third highest attendance for comic shows and it’s just a shame to see it fall by the wayside.

October*

On 5/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It was due to getting convinced to go to this show in 1994 that I got back into collecting comics after a 10 year hiatus. I thought I also remembered this being a big show back in the day. Maybe a 2nd tier? Used to be much larger relating to comics. But it also used to be much smaller for guests and other products. So maybe a sign of the changing times? 

For me there's still a thrill of the hunt and perusing through long boxes for the deal or the small book that completes a run. Add in immediate gratification. Don't get that from online as easy. That said, if I know people like Bob Storms or Dale Roberts are coming, I check out their websites and ask if they can bring some books. Combo meal I guess. lol 

I'm sure I'll go again in October...

On 5/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I heard they raised booth prices a lot.

I think the big Pop Culture “comic cons” are taking a big hit. A lot of bigger Nationwide dealers just aren’t traveling the country much anymore. Smaller, local comic centric shows are making a big comeback.

I went to WonderCon Anahiem a couple months ago. Severely lacking in dealers. Mostly locals. Used to be packed with them. You could even walk up and buy a ticket at the door.

Edited by Robot Man

On 5/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, Robot Man said:

I heard they raised booth prices a lot.

I think the big Pop Culture “comic cons” are taking a bit hit. A lot of bigger Nationwide dealers just aren’t traveling the country much anymore. Smaller, local comic centric shows are making a big comeback.

I went to WonderCon Anahiem a couple months ago. Severely lacking in dealers. Mostly locals. Used to be packed with them. You could even walk up and buy a ticket at the door.

Yep! times be a changin' and not necessarily for the better. Last big one i was at MegaCon pre covid and it was a anime dookie fest. Won't go back

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 5/23/2022 at 8:28 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Here's a video that has a good amount of footage from the show:

https://youtu.be/QG0jrsvNAfs

Not bad, with Reece's set up and all the hulk 181's, and a few other vendors with slabs and raws.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:59 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not bad, with Reece's set up and all the hulk 181's, and a few other vendors with slabs and raws.

Reece's booth was phenomenal! Harley's was also really impressive, as usual. After that, there were a handful of smaller vendors, but that's it.....at least for comics. Was still a fun experience, but somewhat underwhelming.