• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone heard of https://super-collector.com/
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Learned about this site via eBay. The seller had an auction that was receiving bids, but had no feedback and the auction was ultimately closed prematurely. In the item description it had something along the lines of, “We can end this auction at any tine… You can buy this book at… to save on eBay fees, etc… We are a small group of… who are sick of the way eBay charges…

You go to the site and it:

1. uses Worthpoint photos
  2. uses Zombie Unicorn Comics’ “how we package up our comics” photos
  3. has typos 
  4. has no social presence
  5. has no contact info other than an email

In addition, no replies to eBay messages or emails sent from the site. eBay username was “davidmunro_4”

TOD 10 CBCS 9.8 for $1490.

Savage Tales 1 CGC 9.6 for $980.

WWBN 32 CGC 8.5 for $1490.

Their prices are insane meaning you gotta be crazy to buy it.

Ok...I couldn't resist and bought what would have been a great book at a great price. Figured there was a good chance it was BS, but you only live once right?

Anyway, I get a tracking number and think...OK, this might work out. A few days later, I get a text saying the box was outside...didn't hear a truck but look outside and guess what? no box...WTF? That night the same exact comic (CGC certified) shows back up on EBAY so I knew it was a scam and I started circling the wagons.

It turns out empty packages were sent to a recently deceased lady in my town via UPS and the USPS. So I'm basically the mark (self inflicted) of some complex, interstate shipping 3-card monty scam (I'm sure there is a more exciting name for it) which probably involves some kind of insurance fraud as well.

Anyway, I'm dealing with UPS, PAYPAL and my credit card company and I'm sure it will all get sorted out...I just can't wait to tell the wife that she married a genius.

Please note that I'm laughing at myself while I write this...don't try this at home.

Edited by Jcunha

They had a copy of Green Lantern #76 9.2 ow/w for $990 on their website.

I reached out and did not receive a response. The same copy is on its 3rd ebay auction and then the book disappears.

On ebay the seller named Gabor has 0 feedback and says he is shipping from Newmarket Ontario Canada. I live close by and emailed them and asked can I come by to see the book.

On the supercollector website the info says all books re shipped from the US.

This is 100 percent fraud.

Buyers beware. I would say it in Latin but I forgot how to say Caveat Emptor in Latin 🤣

On 6/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, cheta42 said:

They had a copy of Green Lantern #76 9.2 ow/w for $990 on their website.

I reached out and did not receive a response. The same copy is on its 3rd ebay auction and then the book disappears.

On ebay the seller named Gabor has 0 feedback and says he is shipping from Newmarket Ontario Canada. I live close by and emailed them and asked can I come by to see the book.

On the supercollector website the info says all books re shipped from the US.

This is 100 percent fraud.

Buyers beware. I would say it in Latin but I forgot how to say Caveat Emptor in Latin 🤣

Gabe???

There have been large numbers of these scam sites on eBay for well over a year. “Super Collector” is just the latest label, but there have been a number of similar listings under other names. I have always assumed that it is the same party behind these efforts, operating under a sequence of different usernames.

I see 10 or 15 of these a day on eBay, all dangling bargain prices on key issues, which means the actual number of these listings must be pretty substantial.

To me, it’s pretty transparent, and I’m surprised that anyone gets taken in. Having said that, the obvious nature of the scam makes me wonder why eBay can’t stop these listings more easily. For example, every listing has a subtitle driving viewers to an external URL. This is an obvious violation of eBay policy (which should be a red flag to any would be purchasers), but also makes it really easy to spot which listings are the scam ones for eBay.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:44 PM, Jcunha said:

Ok...I couldn't resist and bought what would have been a great book at a great price. Figured there was a good chance it was BS, but you only live once right?

Anyway, I get a tracking number and think...OK, this might work out. A few days later, I get a text saying the box was outside...didn't hear a truck but look outside and guess what? no box...WTF? That night the same exact comic (CGC certified) shows back up on EBAY so I knew it was a scam and I started circling the wagons.

It turns out empty packages were sent to a recently deceased lady in my town via UPS and the USPS. So I'm basically the mark (self inflicted) of some complex, interstate shipping 3-card monty scam (I'm sure there is a more exciting name for it) which probably involves some kind of insurance fraud as well.

Anyway, I'm dealing with UPS, PAYPAL and my credit card company and I'm sure it will all get sorted out...I just can't wait to tell the wife that she married a genius.

Please note that I'm laughing at myself while I write this...don't try this at home.

Case was closed and paypal returned all of the charges.

I still can't believe EBAY will still let these people advertise.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I googled these scam artists and found this thread. They’re still “hard at work” posting this junk. 
I almost bit tonight on a Dr. J rookie. The too good to be true price sent me searching to verify. Thankful I did. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:21 PM, Lvino said:

On 6/30/2022 at 11:24 PM, Lvino said:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I googled these scam artists and found this thread. They’re still “hard at work” posting this junk. 
I almost bit tonight on a Dr. J rookie. The too good to be true price sent me searching to verify. Thankful I did. 

Hopefully it works out for you too, and Welcome to the Boards :) 

On 6/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, Lvino said:

Sure, it felt like a public service. I hope others avoid these criminals as well. I can't believe EBAY doesn't do more.