• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

I would be very careful making assumptions here, we don't know that Dylan had no hand in this

These changes happen not too much later after Dylan starts making his system publicly available?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I'm just putting two and two together here

:canofworms:

On 5/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, CJ Design said:

Just put it on the back...😱

Seriously...notes and designations on the rear of the label...should  also please both the Non-prominent group here & the aesthetic aspect of some other people's needs....maybe not the "Prominent Members" though.

This is the way…

On 5/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, Dormian said:

I am now expected to lookup each book to see what defects they may have

Before you even type in the first three numbers, here comes a flipper,  fist full of money with key collector pulled up on his phone, ready to buy the book out right. I cant imagine buying off a claim sell on IG anymore.

It's really quite simple in this old Dinosaur's little brain...to me the only reason CGC exists is to 1) Encase in plastic for protection and 2) assess to a consistent standard to create a baseline for vintage comics...then to share information why said assessment was derived. 

On 5/26/2022 at 3:05 PM, ExNihilo said:
On 5/26/2022 at 1:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

How About?? Putting the GRADERS NOTES ON THE LABEL? :idea:

:roflmao::insane: 

As others have said, there should just be a QR code that takes us to the graders notes for the book.  This should be a free database accessible to all, not locked behind some paywall.

however they do it (thumbsu

I was saying it should be done :) 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:55 PM, CGC Mike said:

We want to provide insight into our decision to remove certain defects from the label text. To begin with, there are over 100 different defects that can be present on a comic; most of them are not disclosed on the label, including many that are not visible on a comic through the holder. Removing certain defects from our label is not unprecedented. Over the years we have included (and eventually removed) the following defects on the label, many of which affect a comic’s interior and often impact grade:

Rusty staples

Interior tears

Stamp on cover

Writing on cover or interior

Manufactured with only one staple

Miscut

Centerfolds detached below 5.5

Marvel chipping

Heavy tanning interior cover

Partial staple detachments

Interior stains

Interior pieces missing that do not affect story/ad

Tape stains

Among the 12 additional defects we are removing, eight of them (and sometimes all but Siamese pages) are visible when viewing a comic book in the holder. Some rarely turn up, particularly Siamese pages, lamination and miscuts. The vast majority of books that exhibit these defects are Golden and Silver Age comics.  

Oftentimes, some of these defects are slightly less severe but do not go on the label. Such as a spine that is 98% split. If a spine was still attached in one area, no matter how small it was, we did not put it on the label. This is also true if a cover was detached from one staple and barely hanging on to the other staple; virtually detached, but not 100%. We only listed missing parts from a cover if it was one piece that constituted 1/3 or more of the cover; even if paper missing from several areas of the cover cumulatively totaled more than 1/3, that wouldn’t go on the label. If Siamese pages are torn apart, that is not mentioned on the label.

Some say they now have to check notes on every comic book before they buy. We recognize that many collectors hate certain defects. But those defects can vary from collector to collector, and many of those defects are among the 100 that weren’t listed on our label before this change. All defects, regardless of whether they are listed on our label or not, are factored into every grade. The defects that have been removed from the label will continue to be listed in the grader notes. If a book does not appear to match the grade it has been given, that would give reason to check the grader notes. We are working on implementing a QR code on the label to ease the process of note checking.

To be clear, no changes have been made to qualified, restored or conserved label text. That remains exactly the same, and we have no intention of changing that.

Matt Nelson

Please let Matt know the following:

I look forward to eventually submitting an under copy of one of the books from my vast ASM collection. 

All I will say is that It is one of the first five issues.

It is currently raw as it is missing a coupon but I estimate that even with that missing coupon that it should grade about a 4.0-5.0 which means it will command four figures.  

By them not denoting that on the label I will easily be able to slip that into the next Comiclink or Heritage auction for someone to bid that puppy up to max value in a way that I could never do before.

Game on.  Christmas comes early.  I appreciate the Christmas bonus and look forward to renewing my relationship with CGC.  The year+ turnaround times are no longer an issue now that I have been provided the blueprint to fleece an unaware public.

Regards - Buzzetta

PS I am glad that I have already assembled most everything I’d ever want for my personal collection.

PSS Are the Donnelly brothers now sitting on the CGC board of directors as this is a decision I expect from them?

On 5/26/2022 at 3:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

Lol, that's rich coming from the company who got rid of their red label and lumped it with their yellow label with the simple designation "Verified".  They did that to appeal to vain collectors who like the implications that come with a yellow label instead of having to look at a red or purple label like some ugly stepchild.

I will never ever get a verified signature under them while their existing format continues 

That is beyond shady

On 5/26/2022 at 6:19 PM, Buzzetta said:

Whoa... whoa... whoa... 

If you did not know, we are already watching the current Civil War in Canada unfold as told to us by someone in the moderation thread.  I don't know if we have time for another.

For the record I am on Team Greggy. 

6h9d7y.jpg

Where is this moderation thread you speak of?

What will happen to grading once all golden age,Silver and Bronze Age books that are worth slabbing run out then what?How will they make a profit on comics anymore?Plus I don’t see copper and modern age ever reaching those values!

Edited by Bo1983

On 5/26/2022 at 7:22 PM, Bo1983 said:

What will happen to grading once all golden age,Silver and Bronze Age books that are worth slabbing run out then what?How will they make a profit on comics anymore?Plus I don’t see copper and modern age ever reaching those values!

CGC creates 9.7’s, 9.5’s, 9.3’s, & 9.1’s…in our best interests of course.