• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

I have seen plenty of scammers list a book for sale and intentionally make the photo of the label blurry or too small to read so the buyer cannot see the notes. Now they won't have to do that at all! They can just show the label which will be missing relevant material information. (thumbsu

On 5/27/2022 at 10:57 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Yeah.. well most here if you hand them your beer not only will they drink it, but race you to do whatever you were going to do while someone held your beer. 

Not me

You can get hepatitis like that

On 5/27/2022 at 8:07 AM, KCOComics said:

By the way, has there ever been a topic where not a single board member has had a dissenting opinion?  It's interesting that no one (including CGC) has presented a reasonable argument to support this move.   Not even prominent members.

I think it's important to consider dissenting opinions, and I'm no stranger to standing alone on issues, so let me give it a shot.

This is clearly the first step toward improving the much-maligned Quality Control at CGC.  The fewer services they provide, the less opportunity for errors.

Rejoice!

On 5/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, Axe Elf said:

I think it's important to consider dissenting opinions, and I'm no stranger to standing alone on issues, so let me give it a shot.

This is clearly the first step toward improving the much-maligned Quality Control at CGC.  The fewer services they provide, the less opportunity for errors.

Rejoice!

I think it would improve perceived QC issues by hiding them. 

I have to agree with everything being said here. As much of a fan as I am of CGC graded books, this a terrible idea. CGC has created a unique market for themselves over the last 20 years and dominated in almost every way. To me removing defects from the label is nothing more than CGC saying their branding is the most important thing. Custom labels (add money), clean and press (add more money and time -plus is this ok just because CGC says so) and witnessed signatures (add a whole lot more Money). 

At one time I thought I would have most of my collection CGC graded. I am not so sure I want to add $30 a book to comics I paid $1 each for. I know how to grade (I was in the top 15 for the grading contest in Spring) but the whole idea of having a certification by a third party is still important. It would be great...

if CGC were to realize to a lot of people the most important thing is still the comic book itself. Just another guy with an opinion: my two cents

On 5/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, Red84 said:

How can you tell which books were graded before 2022?

I will not be buying any book graded in 2022 or the future since I don't want to be accused of selling a book that is failing to disclose significant defects.

You can see the graded date when you look up the cert number

On 5/27/2022 at 1:01 PM, The Meta said:
On 5/27/2022 at 12:57 PM, Red84 said:

How can you tell which books were graded before 2022?

I will not be buying any book graded in 2022 or the future since I don't want to be accused of selling a book that is failing to disclose significant defects.

You can see the graded date when you look up the cert number

Is that the only way?

So now you have to type in the cert number to even find out if the book has the new deceptive label or not.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, Red84 said:

Is that the only way?

So now you have to type in the cert number to even find out if the book has the new deceptive label or not.

You want the graded date on the label?

On 5/27/2022 at 12:08 PM, Red84 said:

That, or state "additional undisclosed defects"

I see what you're saying, however, if the grader notes are available, they wouldn't be undisclosed 

The problem I have, is that this appears a pretense for them to just do away with notes altogether 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, The Meta said:

I see what you're saying, however, if the grader notes are available, they wouldn't be undisclosed 

The problem I have, is that this appears a pretense for them to just do away with notes altogether 

I don't follow,

Moving some defects from the label to the grader notes exclusively is a pretense for doing away with the grader notes altogether? Or did you mean a pretense to do away with label notes?

One of the biggest grievances with this announcement is that it seems they're pushing grader notes hard so that people sign up for memberships to get them 

On 5/27/2022 at 1:10 PM, The Meta said:

The grader notes are not available unless you pay for a membership.

My biggest issue is the change in practice. The customer expects to see certain notations on a label after years of seeing those notations on the label. Removing those notations now creates confusion with the customer. They expect to see incomplete on the label; so if a book does not have incomplete on the label they expect, based on past practice, that the book is complete.

CGC is creating mass confusion and making it significantly easier for unscrupulous sellers to scam people.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:12 PM, JC25427N said:

Or did you mean a pretense to do away with label notes?

On 5/27/2022 at 12:12 PM, JC25427N said:

pushing grader notes hard so that people sign up for memberships to get them 

On 5/27/2022 at 12:18 PM, Red84 said:

What CGC is doing by moving some of the notes from the label to the paid website is charging for its opinion twice