• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 7:41 PM, Callaway29 said:

CGC creates 9.7’s, 9.5’s, 9.3’s, & 9.1’s…in our best interests of course.

I’m waiting on the introduction of the 9.85 grade

It will be implemented to bridge the gap between common 9.8s & the ever elusive unicorn 9.9s

CGC gotta find a way to get customers to resub those 9.8s :flipbait:

• Administrator
On 5/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, Buzzetta said:

I look forward to eventually submitting an under copy of one of the books from my vast ASM collection. 

All I will say is that It is one of the first five issues.

It is currently raw as it is missing a coupon but I estimate that even with that missing coupon that it should grade about a 4.0-5.0 which means it will command four figures.  

By them not denoting that on the label I will easily be able to slip that into the next Comiclink or Heritage auction for someone to bid that puppy up to max value in a way that I could never do before.

We are still identifying all missing parts from the interior like we have before.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:25 PM, JC25427N said:
On 5/26/2022 at 8:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

On the label or in the notes?

Well, the announcement itself says 
"CGC will continue to identify on the label any significant missing pieces, pages, wraps or inserts from the interior of a comic"

I think the issue is what will they consider "significant"

On 5/26/2022 at 8:34 PM, wombat said:

I think the issue is what will they consider "significant"

Fair, but I think you might be reading too much into it. I think they just threw the word significant in there. From the list of defects they listed won't be on the label anymore, it sounds like the only interior one would be filled out coupons and puzzles (edit: and siamese pages) . And Mike replied above that "all missing parts from the interior" would still be listed on the label. Although to be fair, that might be me reading too much into Mike's post, but I think its less of a stretch.

While the announcement itself is still bad, I don't think we should be making it worse in our heads. 

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/26/2022 at 8:39 PM, JC25427N said:

Fair, but I think you might be reading too much into it. I think they just threw the word significant in there. From the list of defects they listed won't be on the label anymore, it sounds like the only interior one would be filled out coupons and puzzles (edit: and siamese pages) . And Mike replied above that "all missing parts from the interior" would still be listed on the label. Although to be fair, that might be me reading too much into Mike's post, but I think its less of a stretch.

While the announcement itself is still bad, I don't think we should be making it worse in our heads. 

Honestly I think a lot of thought went into adding that word in there. 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:49 PM, wombat said:

Plus in order to see graders notes you have to buy a membership.And will you trust the seller if he post the notes?

On 5/26/2022 at 8:49 PM, wombat said:

Maybe. Personally when I read the announcement, I took the 'will no longer be on label' defects listed in the announcement to be a complete list, and the rest of the announcement to basically say "All the other defects not on this list will still be treated the same way as they are today" and they just wrote that in some way which sounded professional without putting extra meaning behind the words they chose. 

But we'll see how it goes when they start putting this announcement into practice, I hope I'm right. 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:03 PM, KCOComics said:

Detached covers, split covers and detached centerfolds are what I worry about.  They will be the most deceptive.  The books will present great for the grade and the defects won't be at all obvious.... 

That’s kinda how I like my defects....hm