• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

If a seller on here was selling a raw book, gave it a grade of 4.0, and then had a small notation at the bottom of his listing saying "see my website for more info" where additional defects were listed, I would be nominating that seller for the HOS for intentionally failing to disclose information.

Here, CGC isn't even putting the small notation of "see CGC website for additional information" on the slab.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, Red84 said:

What CGC is doing by moving some of the notes from the label to the paid website is charging for its opinion twice: first CGC is charging the submitter for CGC's opinion, of which only part is public; second CGC is charging the potential buyer, who only has access to part of CGC's opinion on the label, in order to view the remainder of CGC's opinion behind the paywall.

The more you think about what CGC is doing the more despicable is becomes. 

That's an excellent point! 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, Red84 said:

If a seller on here was selling a raw book, gave it a grade of 4.0, and then had a small notation at the bottom of his listing saying "see my website for more info" where additional defects were listed, I would be nominating that seller for the HOS for intentionally failing to disclose information.

Here, CGC isn't even putting the small notation of "see CGC website for additional information" on the slab.

Exactly. Someone said that yesterday.  It should, at the very least, be noted on the label that grader's notes exist.... or don't. 

Imagine paying $25 to see the notes on a book you are interested in buying....only to find there are no notes. 

Or ffs, put a QR code on the back, like CBCS, and if they aren't willing to give notes for free still... the link should go to a page that says if notes exist... and if they do, where to enter your credit card info to see them. 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:36 PM, ramrodcar said:

We're at 24+ pages... WHO ARE THE PROMINENT MEMBERS and why have none of them come to Matt's defense of why this is a great idea?

Because the forums are too icky for the shareholders. 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:39 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Imagine paying $25 to see the notes on a book you are interested in buying....only to find there are no notes. 

you can check if grader notes exist by looking up the cert number first.

Not that it really helps much, just felt like pointing out

On 5/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, JC25427N said:

you can check if grader notes exist by looking up the cert number first.

Not that it really helps much, just felt like pointing out

Ok, thx.  I didn't realize that.  I've only looked them up as a member. 

someone told me a few years ago that the top 5% of submitters are responsible for 50% of the slabs. If that is true, they might not have had a choice.  Walmart tells a vendor to change it's labels, they don't ask. 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:57 PM, shadroch said:

someone told me a few years ago that the top 5% of submitters are responsible for 50% of the slabs. If that is true, they might not have had a choice.  Walmart tells a vendor to change it's labels, they don't ask. 

So who are the top 5%? 

HA, comiclink, ComicConnect... And Joey? 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:58 PM, The Meta said:

Who else is excited to lick the boots of our glorious corporate overlords?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that Blackstone had only been mentioned 3-4 times in this large thread. This decision was obviously handed down by them. No one who is actually on the hobby side of this would ever approve this decision.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:05 PM, Nic8612 said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that Blackstone had only been mentioned 3-4 times in this large thread. This decision was obviously handed down by them. No one who is actually on the hobby side of this would ever approve this decision.

Oh I dunno. In my tenure on this board alone, there are enough greedy collectors who wouldn't care

On 5/27/2022 at 1:05 PM, Nic8612 said:

Not even the Arseman?