• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Gordon - Savior of the Universe
5 5

433 posts in this topic

I was reading CFA-APA #47 recently and there is an article by Ray Cuthbert about the art for Al Williamson's Flash Gordon #1.

CFAAPA47cover.png.d546688bc1d8705b0ce5c04e835f1668.png

CFAAPA47flash.png.edee78ecb5a94d01b646c3e4d51347ff.png

He has the art on his Comic Art Fans page.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1395

Including the cover. :x

FlashGordon1cover.jpg.47249330d23909a80365d7947aed9db8.jpg

On 10/6/2023 at 5:25 PM, Norrin_Radd said:

CFA-APA #47

NICE!  And a beautiful Fine cover.  I want to read the rest.  I guess I'll have to track down a copy...  I suppose that was all the stolen art that Club Anni was selling.

Glad you asked!  What I mean is, they've restarted the comic strip with new creators, it's been in repeats for the last 20 years or so. 

https://comicskingdom.com/flash-gordon

The first new strip is Sunday, October 22nd.

Thanks to Mark Evanier for the heads up

https://www.newsfromme.com/2023/10/22/news-flashes-2/

On 10/22/2023 at 9:00 PM, OtherEric said:

The first new strip is Sunday, October 22nd.

Oh that's cool!  I dig where they are beginning this!  Too bad I don't subscribe to a newspaper that would see this in print....

On 10/25/2023 at 7:17 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

SpaceAce10(1961)Atlas.thumb.jpg.5c4f5d6d4be18b9df54c78f0e31ae663.jpg FlashGordonSpaceAgeComic1(1959)CopyA.thumb.jpg.8350664d0ddd0f88ee89729703d53992.jpg

No offense to the Flash cover artist, but I think Jose McBean has a nicer line!  SWEET!

On 10/25/2023 at 5:08 PM, Yorick said:

No offense to the Flash cover artist, but I think Jose McBean has a nicer line!  SWEET!

Indeed. Jose McBean vs Mr Bean! :bigsmile:

You'll like Flash the four-footed deputy though, Yoz. He's expertly rendered, inside.

Not.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:14 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You'll like Flash the four-footed deputy though, Yoz. He's expertly rendered, inside.

Not.

Careful....  Horse Doctor might be galloping back for more.

Funnily enough, the nicer line (1961) came after the more basic rendering (1959)

Capture.thumb.PNG.610a1bd58a4920ab98ae5e68c89865a5.PNG

Unless they were both copied from....

With regards to Flash Gordon, all I can say is that they definitely require you to dig much deeper into your pocket if you want to acquire one:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miscellaneous/four-color-190-flash-gordon-dell-1948-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122343-17081.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, Four Color #190 Flash Gordon (Dell, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Have always love this cover and this copy here sold for $3K or about $1K more than what the CGC 9.2 Promise cpy had sold for last year.  :applause:

Just as surprising, if not more, is this copy of Flash Gordon 2 that sold this past Sunday for $1,680 or some 11.5X condition guide value:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Flash Gordon #2 File Copy (Dell, 1953) CGC VF/NM 9.0 White pages....

If anything, these strong prices for Flash Gordon comics seems to reinforce the surprisingly strong prices that CC got a couple of years ago when they had a number of Flash Gordon's in one of their Event Auctions and they also all sold aggressively in the $2K to $3K price range.  (thumbsu

If anyone here "competes" in the CGC Registry Sets, J created a new set for me with all the Flash Gordon variants (USA books beginning with the 1965 #1).  MAKE A FLASH GORDON SET!!  I'll probably send some more census no-show books for grading.  I am waiting impatiently for my pence King issues to return to me.

I wonder if those Dell issues above should be added to the Flash Gordon Complete set?  hm

Edited by Yorick
ADD

On 12/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, OtherEric said:

Ran across these in a box and thought the thread could use a bump

Do you have any of the Garzon interior issues?  I saw a foreign #1 that began with one of those Whitman/Western issues using incredible Carlos Garzon art in black and white.  I was stunned that I had overlooked these for so long.  The art was beautiful.  I've been looking at low grade whitman lots on feebay to read (I'm trying to pay $2 or less per issue).

On 12/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Yorick said:

Do you have any of the Garzon interior issues?  I saw a foreign #1 that began with one of those Whitman/Western issues using incredible Carlos Garzon art in black and white.  I was stunned that I had overlooked these for so long.  The art was beautiful.  I've been looking at low grade whitman lots on feebay to read (I'm trying to pay $2 or less per issue).

I don't, but I just found out about them and am keeping my eyes open.  Garzon tends to be ignored when he's not working with Williamson and that's really not fair.

On 12/2/2023 at 11:11 AM, OtherEric said:

I don't, but I just found out about them and am keeping my eyes open.  Garzon tends to be ignored when he's not working with Williamson and that's really not fair.

I think his collaborations with Williamson really influenced his style and honed his ability.  Here's some blasphemy: I think I like Garzon's ladies more than Williamson's.  :eek: