• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Gordon - Savior of the Universe
5 5

433 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 2:05 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Is it a coincidence that every film we've ever loved, and every TV show we remember fondly, had fabulous music? I think not...

Music sticks in the memory like nothing else, that's for sure.  At the risk of mentioning the competitor in this thread...

I saw the Buck Rogers movie in the theater on original release when I was 7 or 8, then loved the TV show when it aired.  I quickly forgot the opening credits were different in the theatrical version.  But for some reason I remembered some of the lyrics to the theme song every time I saw the credits, even though the TV version didn't use them.  It was something of a revelation when I saw the theatrical credits again decades later and went "oh, that's where that came from."  Although I had reversed the line to "Who am I, What am I" in my head and to this day the actual version sounds odd to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINijYepahA

Youtube won't let the video embed... if you've never seen it it's one of the most late 70's things ever.

On 12/3/2022 at 5:56 PM, OtherEric said:

Music sticks in the memory like nothing else, that's for sure.  At the risk of mentioning the competitor in this thread...

I saw the Buck Rogers movie in the theater on original release when I was 7 or 8, then loved the TV show when it aired.  I quickly forgot the opening credits were different in the theatrical version.  But for some reason I remembered some of the lyrics to the theme song every time I saw the credits, even though the TV version didn't use them.  It was something of a revelation when I saw the theatrical credits again decades later and went "oh, that's where that came from."  Although I had reversed the line to "Who am I, What am I" in my head and to this day the actual version sounds odd to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINijYepahA

Youtube won't let the video embed... if you've never seen it it's one of the most late 70's things ever.

Biddi-biddi-biddi!

It's funny when you get something wrong as a kid isn't it, and then discover it later in life. There are so many songs I will always sing wrong, whether I know it or not. 

On 12/3/2022 at 4:48 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Bigfoot & Wildboy

When you see the two standing next to each other at the end of the theme song, they're the same height!  xD  BIGfoot my Arse.

On 12/3/2022 at 6:33 PM, Yorick said:

When you see the two standing next to each other at the end of the theme song, they're the same height!  xD  BIGfoot my Arse.

Hasn't he just got big feet? I mean look at Frodo. 

On 12/3/2022 at 10:45 AM, Yorick said:

Hang on hang on....

1015404205_BuckRogersThemeSong.thumb.jpg.21dc73cb063f9eaea6f4092ee85683c0.jpg

I'm at 1:30 and the Buck Rogers theme is now getting good!!

I'll be back in five....

:whistle:

I think it’s safe to say there are nuances to the theatrical credits I didn’t pick up on at age 7, for all that the lyrics made an impact for some reason.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:03 AM, OtherEric said:

I think it’s safe to say there are nuances to the theatrical credits I didn’t pick up on at age 7, for all that the lyrics made an impact for some reason.

That was the movie soundtrack, right?   I have the laserdisc, but haven't watched it in ages.

The 70's styles really shine through.  Big glasses, soft focus, dreamy...

When I think of movie soundtracks, I also gravitate towards Toto's work on Dune.  If they had been able to figure out a different way to deal with the voice-over internalized thoughts of the main character, it might have been a better film.  But Queen really does make great soundtracks.  Highlanders "Who Wants to Live Forever" makes me feel....   something.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, Yorick said:

That was the movie soundtrack, right?   I have the laserdisc, but haven't watched it in ages.

The 70's styles really shine through.  Big glasses, soft focus, dreamy...

When I think of movie soundtracks, I also gravitate towards Toto's work on Dune.  If they had been able to figure out a different way to deal with the voice-over internalized thoughts of the main character, it might have been a better film.  But Queen really does make great soundtracks.  Highlanders "Who Wants to Live Forever" makes me feel....   something.

Highlander was a great movie with great music. It really surprises me that it was just one movie and nobody has ever tried to make a follow up.

LA LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!!!

On 12/3/2022 at 11:39 AM, OtherEric said:

Highlander was a great movie with great music. It really surprises me that it was just one movie and nobody has ever tried to make a follow up.

LA LA LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU!!!!!

There were a few movies and a TV Show.  :gossip:   I have an idea for the next Highlander, but they'd need to make it before Lambert leaves this dimension.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, Yorick said:

There were a few movies and a TV Show.  :gossip:   I have an idea for the next Highlander, but they'd need to make it before Lambert leaves this dimension.

SORRY, STILL CAN’T HEAR YOU!  There was only one Highlander movie.  Period.  End of story.  Anyone who claims otherwise is misremembering.

(It’s not impossible I feel far more strongly about the subject than I really should.)

Pat Boyette did a lot of art & covers for Charlton and I never particularly liked his art.But later in my life I find covers like this he did that he knocked right out of the park,I simply love this FG cover & this is my first copy of it I have had.I'll upgrade if I come across one.He also did a nice cover for #13.

100_2557.JPG

On 12/18/2022 at 12:19 PM, Toz said:

Pat Boyette did a lot of art & covers for Charlton and I never particularly liked his art.But later in my life I find covers like this he did that he knocked right out of the park

I'm right there with you.  I think I've loved Williamson's FG so much that I dismissed all of the other fantastic artists who have contributed to the world of Flash Gordon.  I do have a Boyette issue (or two) stashed away somewhere, and I find myself enjoying what I see of his more and more.  He seems to use a heavier line (probably inking with pens) and executes with confidence.  Reminiscent of Toth, Colletta or Thorne.