• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Gordon - Savior of the Universe
5 5

433 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, Yorick said:

Do you have any of the Garzon interior issues?  I saw a foreign #1 that began with one of those Whitman/Western issues using incredible Carlos Garzon art in black and white.  I was stunned that I had overlooked these for so long.  The art was beautiful.  I've been looking at low grade whitman lots on feebay to read (I'm trying to pay $2 or less per issue).

I'm counting on your review, because I just grabbed the 19-30 run off MCS (well, 19 I had to go to the Bay, but the others were MCS.)

On 12/8/2023 at 2:13 PM, OtherEric said:

Found at a local store today:

Flash Gordon 09.jpg

My reply comment was just "poofed".  I'll try again...

Is that a redrawn Raymond cover?  The line seems a little too thick, but could just be a reprint of a reprint of a reprint and then enlarged to reprint.  B|

My UK Price Variant has finally returned from CGC (I had to send it back for the proper "UKPV" status label), and I am so happy that they now take photos of the books in the slabs.

CGC4334852-003_OBV2.thumb.jpg.feba3da80c5d89817457291f6caae06b.jpg

I'm pretty sure @Get Marwood & I or @Kevin.J has a better copy.  :baiting:

On 12/9/2023 at 11:22 AM, Yorick said:

Is that a redrawn Raymond cover?  The line seems a little too thick, but could just be a reprint of a reprint of a reprint and then enlarged to reprint.  B|

My UK Price Variant has finally returned from CGC (I had to send it back for the proper "UKPV" status label), and I am so happy that they now take photos of the books in the slabs.

The GCD says Raymond with a ?.  Let's go with touched up reprint of a reprint and call it, if not good, the best we're ever likely to get at this point.

On 12/9/2023 at 7:22 PM, Yorick said:

That's nice. I always thought this an odd cover myself. Anyway, it's the most common of the four Flash UKPVs, in my experience, but really high grade copies rarely appear so you’ve done well Lord Vader :) 

This is what my photos look like:

IMG_20231206_235735395.thumb.jpg.4ff22a7e31ae3031a62ad7c4c308118b.jpg

I need to set-up a photobooth to try and reduce all that reflectivity on the cases.

I'm still the only collector that created a registry set for the "Flash Gordon All Variants"?  Come join my exclusive club!!

FORGET IT.  UKPV's are not acceptable in the registry set.  :cry:

Edited by Yorick
New Registry Guidelines

On 12/9/2023 at 11:25 AM, OtherEric said:

The GCD says Raymond with a ?.  Let's go with touched up reprint of a reprint and call it, if not good, the best we're ever likely to get at this point.

IMG_20231209_115905154.jpg

On 12/9/2023 at 11:18 AM, OtherEric said:

I just grabbed the 19-30 run off MCS

Since CGC has labeled the UK Price Variants now...  I'm curious which issues in the 19-37 run should be considered the "variant".  If there are Whitman labels on all of them, but Gold Key only on some, wouldn't that mean the Gold Key copies are the variant?

In today.  This gives me the entire Gold Key/ Whitman run, other than the stray #1 from the 60's.  I do have the King #1 from the 60's, though.  And the Pacific Comics Club #1 from the early 80's.  And the Marvel #1 from the 90's.  And I think I've got the DC #1 from the late 80's in a box somewhere. And at this point I'm certain I've gone off on a tangent from the point of posting this cover...

Flash Gordon 19.jpg

On 12/16/2023 at 5:30 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  This gives me the entire Gold Key/ Whitman run, other than the stray #1 from the 60's.  I do have the King #1 from the 60's, though.  And the Pacific Comics Club #1 from the early 80's.  And the Marvel #1 from the 90's.  And I think I've got the DC #1 from the late 80's in a box somewhere. And at this point I'm certain I've gone off on a tangent from the point of posting this cover...

Flash Gordon 19.jpg

= A LOT OF BOOKS

Doesn't necessarily = :flipbait:

But TO ALL COLLECTORS =  :whatthe:

On 12/17/2023 at 12:41 AM, ThothAmon said:

I think I took a wrong turn somewhere. 

IMG_3889.jpeg

Well Buck Rogers was the inspiration for Flash Gordon, so is perfectly at home here and something new and related to keep this great thread going :)

Edited by Kevin.J

On 12/16/2023 at 3:30 PM, OtherEric said:

the entire Gold Key/ Whitman run

There was a feebay seller who had some cheap copies (Gold Key variants), so I went ahead and ordered.  I'm really looking forward to digging into 19 and 20...