• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paid for a book on CLink Exchange, we never get the book - shows up for sale on the Boards
10 10

164 posts in this topic

@Dr. Balls Something I may have missed.  What happened to your money?  My understanding is that CL holds your funds in escrow essentially.  They hold the cash, they notify the seller they have it to send them the book, once they have it, they send you the book and the owner the money.  So... did CL release your funds without getting the book?

CLink did not release the money (that I know of). They have not waivered on bit in letting us know we will get our money back, so I am not worried about CLink not coming through - I believe they will, and we'll be reimbursed by the end of the week I am told.

I finally sussed out the name of the buyer in all this. Again, I would like to say that Omaha CGC Comics and Slugshots Comics are not culpable here. I finally communicated with the original owner Hank through his Instagram page at art_of_collecting who admitted to backing out of the deal, etc: Screencap07.thumb.PNG.52f91a14f47c2847b7281f5b4b4de0d1.PNGScreencap06.thumb.PNG.ea888c0419a338ffadd7e572796b93fe.PNG

I sent the information to CLink to let them do whatever they want to do and now I figure the matter is closed. I signed off telling him what I thought of him wasting my time, going back on a deal and threw in a few choice names. How this book went from my wife and I buying it, to it being traded to a seller, who then asked another seller to sell it - all in the span of 11 days - I'll have no idea. But, that's the way she goes.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:04 PM, shadroch said:

The OP sent CL a check. CL either has the check or the cash. The OP has neither. This seems like a CL problem, and one they could easily fix. They never forwarded the money to the original owner, so they should refund the OP.

If the original seller never got the money and isnt harboring anything that should be clearly stated in all this. I find it hard to believe the seller thinks there is no culpability for them, unless they never cashed said check AND somehow comiclink had it fall through cracks.

Seller acts like even if they forgot to tell comic link, they're not in possession of the money, should be clearly stated.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:09 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If the original seller never got the money and isnt harboring anything that should be clearly stated in all this. I find it hard to believe the seller thinks there is no culpability for them, unless they never cashed said check AND somehow comiclink had it fall through cracks.

Seller acts like even if they forgot to tell comic link, they're not in possession of the money, should be clearly stated.

The book is in the hands of a board member. There is no reason to think CL sent the money to the original owner, they had no reason to. It sounds like they could have refunded the money earlier.  Why are they holding funds for a book the OP no longer has. They know it isn't being shipped to them so why don't they refund the money?

Edited by shadroch
clarification

On 7/6/2022 at 4:13 PM, shadroch said:

The book is in the hands of a board member. There is no reason to think CL sent the money to the OP, they had no reason to. It sounds like they could have refunded the money earlier.  Why are they holding funds for a book the OP no longer has. They know it isn't being shipped to them so why don't they refund the money?

The OP is this thread who needs a refund?  In bold, I think were saying the same thing, the seller decided not to sell through comic link, and I was pointing out needs to be cleared that THEY DIDNT GET PAID FROM COMICLINK EITHER.

As that isnt clearly stated, it looks as though seller got paid then offered elsewhere for more? If comiclink had the money this whole time and could be an easy refund? Then why do we know all this about the seller, they shouldn't even be involved now? As they didnt go through with the transaction? If they didnt end the transaction first or succinctly that's one thing, but I want it clearly clarified if they made off with the book for trade and the $8,000.

OP means original poster of this thread, and it is him so far out the book and refund, you have me confused. Hope I clarified 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Well, I'm done with art_of_collecting.  What the heck kind of "personal problem" causes you to renege on a deal, and then trade the same book a day or two later is well beyond the capacity of my tiny mind.

It happens.   Happened to me just last week. A book I'd had on MCS for months hadn't sold. Didn't get a nibble though I'd lowered it from $5500 to 4800.  I wanted to raise some cash and offered it to them as a direct sale. It is a rare book that doesn't sell much, and this one was restored to boot. Steve offered me a bit less than I wanted and as I was explaining why I thought his price was low, I got an email with a $4100 offer. Obviously I stopped negotiating and sold it.  Months without a nibble but it sold while we were on the phone.

Edited by shadroch

On 7/6/2022 at 3:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The OP is this thread who needs a refund?  In bold, I think were saying the same thing, the seller decided not to sell through comic link, and I was pointing out needs to be cleared that THEY DIDNT GET PAID FROM COMICLINK EITHER.

As that isnt clearly stated, it looks as though seller got paid then offered elsewhere for more? If comiclink had the money this whole time and could be an easy refund? Then why do we know all this about the seller, they shouldn't even be involved now? As they didnt go through with the transaction? If they didnt end the transaction first or succinctly that's one thing, but I want it clearly clarified if they made off with the book for trade and the $8,000.

OP means original poster of this thread, and it is him so far out the book and refund, you have me confused. Hope I clarified 

I think this thread can get confusing because there is me (the buyer), two different sellers selling/promoting the book and the original owner.

I have not said either way whether the original owner was paid - that information is not known to me. I highly doubt CLink would release the funds on a book they don't hold in their hands, and I didn't get that impression from the original owner, but the original owner has been caught making conflicting statements, so I don't know what the deal is between him and CLink - and it's not really my business to know that either.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, shadroch said:

It happens.   Happened to me just last week. A book I'd had on MCS for months hadn't sold. Didn't get a nibble though I'd lowered it from $5500 to 4800.  I wanted to raise some cash and offered it to them as a direct sale. It is a rare book that doesn't sell much, and this one was restored to boot. Steve offered me a bit less than I wanted and as I was explaining why I thiought his price was low, I got an email with a $4100 offer. Obviously I stopped negotiating and sold it. 

Ok - so the loaded question is: what would you have done had you accepted Steve's offer and then got an email for a higher dollar amount? Would you have kept the deal you made, or backed out for a higher return?

On 7/6/2022 at 2:33 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Ok - so the loaded question is: what would you have done had you accepted Steve's offer and then got an email for a higher dollar amount? Would you have kept the deal you made, or backed out for a higher return?

That is a good question. I'm not sure, is the best answer I can give.  What we did on a few other books was I told him I was going to lower my ask and whatever didn't sell over the weekend I'd accept his offer for. It worked well for me and they got the commission on anything sold so  it worked for them,as well.

My rule of thumb is a handshake or a verbal agreement is binding, unless both parties agree to change it.  If I'd agreed to the deal and ten seconds later the offer came in, would Steve, Buddy or Conan  have held me to it? 

In regard to this situation, you did nothing wrong and comiclink should have already refunded your money.  As soon as they were aware the book they took money for was being sold elsewhere by someone else,  either your check  should have been returned or refunded.  I think CL is more to blame than the seller. I don't understand selling stuff you don't have in hand.  Too many things can go wrong, and this is a perfect example.

On 7/6/2022 at 3:54 PM, shadroch said:

I don't understand selling stuff you don't have in hand.  Too many things can go wrong, and this is a perfect example.

I agree. Man, I have learned in life that there are way too many variables floating around out there waiting to bang up against your deal - I don't like to offer something I am not physically holding.

When it comes to giving my word. I stick to it. I may have not always been that way, but at some point in my early 20s, I figured out that your word is your word and you stick to it.

And by no means am I saying that's always worked out. I have oftentimes screwed myself over by giving my word because I gave it without knowing the whole situation. But I stuck with it regardless. That's just my thing, and sometimes it's hard to swallow when you come across someone and it's not their "thing". You just move on, and that's where I'm at with this post. I'm not angry about missing out on the book, I'd say I'm mostly angry at wasting a bunch of time over it. And the anger level is pretty low.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/6/2022 at 4:31 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think this thread can get confusing because there is me (the buyer), two different sellers selling/promoting the book and the original owner.

I have not said either way whether the original owner was paid - that information is not known to me. I highly doubt CLink would release the funds on a book they don't hold in their hands, and I didn't get that impression from the original owner, but the original owner has been caught making conflicting statements, so I don't know what the deal is between him and CLink - and it's not really my business to know that either.

That sounds fair and perfectly reasonable. No worries