• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paid for a book on CLink Exchange, we never get the book - shows up for sale on the Boards
10 10

164 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2022 at 5:28 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why was the cheque cashed at all?

Colour me dense.....but I don’t understand.???

On 7/6/2022 at 5:33 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is what I struggled with, apparently or maybe clink had to get their commission, but I never got a definite conclusion to my question about it.

Other than it wasn't the seller of the slab, so perhaps comiclink is what's left

Yes, the check was cashed by CLInk on/about June 10th.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Yes, the check was cashed by CLInk on/about June 10th.

Ah clarity, thanks!

I'm not a auction kind of guy, or I havent yet tried the big auction houses.. so I'm learning, its appreciated

On 7/6/2022 at 4:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wouldn’t :baiting:

I dont have time for postrophes!  plus I am adverse to 'em cause they are abused so often.
"Look at these book's"
"Those car's are fast!"
etc

On 7/6/2022 at 5:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah clarity, thanks!

I'm not a auction kind of guy, or I havent yet tried the big auction houses.. so I'm learning, its appreciated

I hadn't bid on an CLink auction before (I bid on a CC auction like 10 years ago). That all went smooth and pretty straight forward. We paid by check, they logged in the payment when it arrived and we were notified when our books shipped - very seamless. That's why we were wondering what was going on with the Exchange purchase, it was not as transparent.

Doing the auction house stuff is actually fun if you are right there at your computer. The auction ended on a day that my wife and I were both at home so we got to participate. I did the live auction stuff at HA last week and man, that was cool and interesting. I missed out on one thing I wanted because I was just getting used to the interface, but I did manage to snag two pieces of art later on in the auction. That was actually fun to listen to in the background, you'll have to check out the live auction next time.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I hadn't bid on an CLink auction before (I bid on a CC auction like 10 years ago). That all went smooth and pretty straight forward. We paid by check, they logged in the payment when it arrived and we were notified when our books shipped - very seamless. That's why we were wondering what was going on with the Exchange purchase, it was not as transparent.

Doing the auction house stuff is actually fun if you are right there at your computer. The auction ended on a day that my wife and I were both at home so we got to participate. I did the live auction stuff at HA last week and man, that was cool and interesting. I missed out on one thing I wanted because I was just getting used to the interface, but I did manage to snag two pieces of art later on in the auction. That was actually fun to listen to in the background, you'll have to check out the live auction next time.

Well I AM glad that your getting the well rounded experience, shame there was a hiccup and good that it didnt detour you I guess.

Still idk if comic link will go into too much if an explanation,  or at least one you'll feel like sharing.

I AM glad they didnt somehow forward the "check" to the consignor but instead handled it internally, which means the consignors didnt run off with it. That is the only reason I could see to why it was cashed, to prove the check was good so the consignor would then send the book, to be paid.

Idk, I guess that may be obvious for some, but when your new, your new! Lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/6/2022 at 5:52 PM, wombat said:

I do not understand why Clink didn't give you back your money IMMEDIATELY. I don't care how nice they are on the phone. They are holding your money. That is some major league BS. 

I’m not altogether sure what the reasoning is. It’s probably cogs in the machine and all that. I have learned that it is way easier to pay the money than get it back. I had to accept that or have a brain aneurysm trying to get people to refund my money as timely as I had paid it.

This is nothing new in the course of our own business, as similar scenarios happen to us once every few months where we have to fight to get money back - it's just the way the world works now. Doesn’t make it right, but dealing with it so many times in the past 7 years has tempered my temper and I try to go with the flow knowing it usually works out. 

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/6/2022 at 4:52 PM, wombat said:

I do not understand why Clink didn't give you back your money IMMEDIATELY. I don't care how nice they are on the phone. They are holding your money. That is some major league BS. 

You are in the wrong thread. This is the bash the guy who didn't send the book thread, not the why the hell does comiclink have $8,000 of Dr. Balls money thread. He is okay with them.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:38 PM, Gaard said:

integrity of the reneger

You have to be careful who you call a "reneger" these days.  I was overheard using the word at work once, and was reported to the boss for being a racist.

We had a chuckle over vocabularies.

I sell in C-Link auctions and sometimes on the exchange.  The auction is easy, you send them your books they take nice photos and write a nice little blurb about the book.  It sells, sometimes high, sometimes way lower then you would like.  In the end it is usually a wash.  Some high, some low, but overall what you expected for the batch.  The down side is how slow they are at sending you payment.

The Exchange, I put up the book, it sells (sometimes) and then they wait for the book to come from you and they wait for the payment to come from the buyer.  What does happen at times is I will put up a book and there are no nibbles on it.  I sometimes forget that it is listed and someone buys it a year and a half later.  Since my collection is all over the place I have to hunt down my own book and get it to them ASAP and then wait for a while to get paid. 

I think they need to go to the MCS model of having the book in hand or at least if the book is more than $2000 they must have it hand and you can still approve offers, but this way "personal reasons" don't get in the way. 

Really, I won’t see Comiclink as doing anything wrong so far.  It’s been only a few weeks, and to them the deal is in trouble but not dead.  Of course now that this is public and they’ve heard from both sides, they should and probably will very soon.take their chips and go home and mail the 8K back.  It’s a big enough ship that it takes time to turn around…

On 7/6/2022 at 4:08 PM, shadroch said:

I have never sold a book on CLs exchange but as I understand it,  you send them some pictures, list a price and tell them the minimum you will take.  The owner is allowed to list the book elsewhere and sell it off CL.

Is it possible the owner listed the books months ago, listed the minimum he'd accept and then moved on to other things.  CL gets an offer for more than the sellers minimum and accepts it.  They notify the owner who is mad at CL and he doesn't send the book.  Is he reneging on the deal? 

To me ,the real issue is Comic Link not returning the check, or why they cashed it in the first place.

Part of the problem is Comic Link selling books that they don't have in their possession.  If someone decides not to sell it for their listed price or forgets to notify Comic Link that it's no longer for sale there's a problem.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:21 PM, jsilverjanet said:

it is my experience that the standard we have here (on the boards) for deals (fulfilling them etc) is at a higher standard than everywhere else. In todays market (new group of buyers/sellers), there is very little of people keeping their word.

Amen to that.  We've seen some of those guys come here to sell books and it can get ugly.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:13 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Well, I'm done with art_of_collecting.  What the heck kind of "personal problem" causes you to renege on a deal, and then trade the same book a day or two later is well beyond the capacity of my tiny mind.

Not to say all IG and FB sellers are bad, but when you deal with the wild west with no accountability, you're going to get burned once in awhile. I don't any of those IG or FB sellers. 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, toro said:

I sell in C-Link auctions and sometimes on the exchange.  The auction is easy, you send them your books they take nice photos and write a nice little blurb about the book.  It sells, sometimes high, sometimes way lower then you would like.  In the end it is usually a wash.  Some high, some low, but overall what you expected for the batch.  The down side is how slow they are at sending you payment.

The Exchange, I put up the book, it sells (sometimes) and then they wait for the book to come from you and they wait for the payment to come from the buyer.  What does happen at times is I will put up a book and there are no nibbles on it.  I sometimes forget that it is listed and someone buys it a year and a half later.  Since my collection is all over the place I have to hunt down my own book and get it to them ASAP and then wait for a while to get paid. 

I think they need to go to the MCS model of having the book in hand or at least if the book is more than $2000 they must have it hand and you can still approve offers, but this way "personal reasons" don't get in the way. 

i've never dealt with CLink, but given all these problems, why wouldn't you just use Ebay? at most you get the funds, 3 business days after it clears, regardless of if you even sent the product out. End of story.