• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paid for a book on CLink Exchange, we never get the book - shows up for sale on the Boards
10 10

164 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2022 at 1:37 AM, Lpgk said:

Not to say all IG and FB sellers are bad, but when you deal with the wild west with no accountability, you're going to get burned once in awhile. I don't any of those IG or FB sellers. 

True. I understand the nature of FB and IG sellers being on there to get around huge selling fees, but man - it’s sketchy most of the time. And not just comics, the record scene also has more than their fair share of shady IG and FB sellers. 

The unfortunate issue is that one of those shady IG sellers made their way into ComicLink and brought their craptastic sense of ethics behavior with them and smeared it all over CLink and two other sellers. I’m sure CLink isn’t happy that there is a thread with 2K views reading about how their deal went bad because this numbnut flaked out of a sale and left us hanging for over a month. 

One can only hope CLink ban this guy from buying/selling and starts sending a message that if you go back on a legally binding agreement there will be a price to pay for it.

This post is in a single aspect of the situation; CLINK refund.

If Comiclink is not happy about a thread like this and the number of views then they could have and still can rule the sale void and refund the money. Instead they are using the money as a floating loan and  impact to their reputation be damned..  Delaying seller payments and buyer refunds is a long time pattern of behavior with CLINK.. I'm not questioning  the legality, but I find it to be despicable moral behavior. Who do they think they are a Fortune 1000 company?

Edited by MAR1979

There is no reason that the money hasn't been refunded, beyond the fact that CL does this so often, they've gotten their clients used to it. What should be a thread about their ridiculous policies instead is about someone not sending a book to a company he didn't want to deal with. 

On 7/7/2022 at 11:51 AM, shadroch said:

There is no reason that the money hasn't been refunded, beyond the fact that CL does this so often, they've gotten their clients used to it. What should be a thread about their ridiculous policies instead is about someone not sending a book to a company he didn't want to deal with

Boldface added by me.

CL should have refunded days ago, agreed.  However, the original seller DID apparently want to deal with CL, as he volunteered his book for the Exchange and even actively accepted an offer on it days before simply trading the book to someone else.  One of these is an unpleasant business practice, one of these is an explicit violation of a contract. 

If this had happened on eBay, and a seller accepted a best offer and then said "nuts to you" but Paypal had to wait for official resolution to reverse the charges, that seller would be facing probation or a HoS nomination and Paypal would get an eyeroll at worst.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:52 AM, wardevil0 said:

Boldface added by me.

CL should have refunded days ago, agreed.  However, the original seller DID apparently want to deal with CL, as he volunteered his book for the Exchange and even actively accepted an offer on it days before simply trading the book to someone else.  One of these is an unpleasant business practice, one of these is an explicit violation of a contract. 

If this had happened on eBay, and a seller accepted a best offer and then said "nuts to you" but Paypal had to wait for official resolution to reverse the charges, that seller would be facing probation or a HoS nomination and Paypal would get an eyeroll at worst.

Did the seller accept a best offer?  At this point, all we have is CL saying he did, but they are also saying he said the book was lost.  Listing a book on comic link does not obligate you to sell the book on that site.

I think this thread has been sidetracked with all the talk about CL.
-there was a listing of a book
-seller accepted the offer
-then decided to sell it somewhere else for more money (personal reasons probably were seller hates not getting the max dollars for his books)
-then CL buyer got a message from CL that they did not have the book etc.

The seller probably was used to Ebay's cancel sold listing culture where you say some BS reason for cancel and then sell it again. Now the platform was different and that caused this mess.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, godzilla43 said:

I think this thread has been sidetracked with all the talk about CL.
-there was a listing of a book
-seller accepted the offer
-then decided to sell it somewhere else for more money (personal reasons probably were seller hates not getting the max dollars for his books)
-then CL buyer got a message from CL that they did not have the book etc.

The seller probably was used to Ebay's cancel sold listing culture where you say some BS reason for cancel and then sell it again. Now the platform was different and that caused this mess.

Yeah, why talk about CL holding a members $8,000 for a transaction they know isn't happening.  Thats not the elephant in the room.  It's not as if this is a one time thing.  You could choke a herd of cows with the money they continue to float.  But keep your priorities straight. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:05 PM, shadroch said:

Did the seller accept a best offer?  At this point, all we have is CL saying he did, but they are also saying he said the book was lost.  Listing a book on comic link does not obligate you to sell the book on that site.

again, boldface by me...

The seller must have, because Dr. Balls was able to check out and pay for the book at an offer price.  It wasn't until his other purchases arrived that he realized there was a problem.  I'm not sure how long CL would wait before they initiated a claim.  Presumably they assumed the book in question was en route.

You're right that CL should have refunded by now.  It's a ridiculous system we tolerate, but see it all the time.  A few months ago my hotel was supposed to be paid by for by my employer, but it wasn't.  I paid myself, knowing I could get reimbursed.  My employer sorted things out, and paid for the hotel room themselves after the fact.  The hotel told me they would reverse the charges in 5-7 days.  My card was charged in 5-7 MINUTES, my reverse is in 5-7 DAYS. (shrug) I still got mad at my employer's travel coordinator instead.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:50 AM, Beastfeast said:

I'm sure there are as long as it's not happening to them.  "It's just business, bro."

On 7/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, joeypost said:
On 7/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, seanfingh said:

Is there a group of people who finds this acceptable? 

As has been said in the past “cool books”.

I know at least two people I will no longer deal with. 

For the record, I'm NOT OK WITH IT, any of it, but I was curious how the check was not refunded straight away, it went from only the seller to only comiclink.

In reality we've talked about both, I don't see why one should have focus over the other lol  

Wasn't my intention

On 7/7/2022 at 2:39 PM, Lpgk said:

this type of lack of accountability and shady practices are why comics/ sportscards/ collectibles will never be more than a cottage industry. it's rife with huckstars and ripoff artists and until buyers can feel completely comfortable with their purchases, it'll never progress past that. 

Huge shout out to the CGC boards here. It's very well policed and monitored. Knock of wood, I've never had a bad deal yet. Most people here exhibit integrity and honesty, and if they don't, they get weeded out pretty quick. 

I'm positive there are honest Comic Book/Comic Art/Trading Card Dealers and Auction Houses out there even if in my 40 years (counting childhood) I've never encountered a single one.  Perhaps now society on the whole mirrors them??? :(

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, MAR1979 said:

I'm postive there are honest Comic Book/Comic Art/Trading Card dealers and Auction Houses out there even if in my 40 years (counting childhood) I've never encountered a single one.

You've never met an honest comic dealer in 40 years? 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, Beastfeast said:

You've never met an honest comic dealer in 40 years? 

Not even a good buddy of mine who had a shop for 27 years although he was not as bad as most of their ilk.  "G" if your reading this we both know it's true!
BTW: We actually talked about it after seeing Dr Strange in May.

Still I persist knowing there must be some out there. Its a Coelacanth rather than a Unicorn situation

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/7/2022 at 11:35 AM, shadroch said:

Yeah, why talk about CL holding a members $8,000 for a transaction they know isn't happening.  Thats not the elephant in the room.  It's not as if this is a one time thing.  You could choke a herd of cows with the money they continue to float.  But keep your priorities straight. 

With all documentation, CL was shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that yesterday was the day the deal was declared deader than Elvis. No matter what justification CL might have made to thinking that the funds should be held just a little longer in case the seller changes his mind :wishluck: lol  -  it doesn't matter now. It's done and provable. They have told me a check goes out by Friday and it takes 3 days to receive it. Aside from my personal feelings about the whole ordeal, I have chose to be diplomatic about it in the interest of getting our money back. If we are still waiting for a check by next Friday, we'll go from there.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, Dr. Balls said:

With all documentation, CL was shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that yesterday was the day the deal was declared deader than Elvis. No matter what justification CL might have made to thinking that the funds should be held just a little longer in case the seller changes his mind :wishluck: lol  -  it doesn't matter now. It's done and provable. They have told me a check goes out by Friday and it takes 3 days to receive it. Aside from my personal feelings about the whole ordeal, I have chose to be diplomatic about it in the interest of getting our money back. If we are still waiting for a check by next Friday, we'll go from there.

amen lol

You paid by check, therefore the refund is usually in the form of the initial payment so refund by check.

I knew it was going to take a while on that end, I was just making sure the consignor wasn't more unscrupulous and somehow had part of the $8,000 as well :cry:

I'm sure he'll be banned by comiclink, and or others, hope it was worth it, but idk, it's all a bit :sorry: Glad you're content at the moment ^^