• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

593 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2022 at 11:54 AM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

No they won't, at least not during an ensuing crisis such as that. Which is where many would most want to, need to, cash out. OA will not escape the general economic conditions in such a scenario. Certain commodities may weather that storm, but quite a few won't. 

Race, is that you?

I know the collector that put this one up. I was surprised to see it but it's impressive. Whatever you like this auction has something for you.

75A3C3C3-2E91-4B4E-84AF-15055F1725B6.thumb.jpeg.290ba4b8c0c21c4222b0942d7d9ff5fb.jpeg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/erik-larsen-and-joe-rosas-the-amazing-spider-man-332-story-page-19-venom-original-art-marvel-/p/7279-259001.s

Edited by grapeape

A collector from across the pond named Graham contacted us for advice about his collection. Looks like he decided to give HA a try. I remember he also has a beautiful Ditko Creeper page in this auction but I really fancy this Darwyn Cooke Spirit piece of noir art. Like I said something for everyone.

Original Comic Art:Covers, Darwyn Cooke The Spirit #...

Darwyn Cooke The Spirit #2 Cover Original Art (DC, 2009). The Spirit seems to invoke and embody a classic noir mood in this poignant cover! Illustration was used for Volume 2 of the trade that collected issues from the acclaimed series The Spirit by Darwyn Cooke. Cover was created in ink over graphite and blue pencil on Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15.25". Slight toning. In Excellent condition.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:26 AM, grapeape said:

Jon J. Muth Moonshadow #1 Cover Painting Original Art (DC/Vertigo, 1994). 

Created in mixed media on Bristol board, and signed in the 7" x 10.5 image area.

Matted to 10" x 13.5". In Excellent condition.

Jon J. Muth Moonshadow #1 Cover Painting Original Art (DC/Vertigo, 1994)

I really like Muth's art but I could not make it through this series. Does that make me a bad person? Perhaps I should try again. 

On 8/5/2022 at 11:53 AM, cstojano said:

I really like Muth's art but I could not make it through this series. Does that make me a bad person? Perhaps I should try again. 

I read the original 12 issues in the eighties and loved them art and story. I just liked the art on the 94 cover. Of course it doesn't make you a bad person if you didn't like it9_9

On 8/5/2022 at 9:49 AM, Xatari said:

OA has global demand so no matter which economies/currencies are doing well, there is some insulation. The event you’re describing is global catastrophe. The world is too connected. I don’t expect doom and gloom. 

If there's a global catastrophe big enough to make all collectibles worthless, the devaluation of your collectibles should be among the last things on your mind.  All sorts of investments and hard property will also be worthless, except for greenhouses, atmospheric water generators, fortified bunkers and crossbows.    

On 8/5/2022 at 9:49 AM, Xatari said:

OA has global demand so no matter which economies/currencies are doing well, there is some insulation. The event you’re describing is global catastrophe. The world is too connected. I don’t expect doom and gloom. 

Time will tell.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

If there's a global catastrophe big enough to make all collectibles worthless, the devaluation of your collectibles should be among the last things on your mind.  All sorts of investments and hard property will also be worthless, except for greenhouses, atmospheric water generators, fortified bunkers and crossbows.    

Yup 100%. If @Humpty-Dumpty thinks the world is collapsing the last place you should be posting and worrying about is the original comic art market on these boards.
You might as well start stock piling food and water and sell all your assets of any kind and any value.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:01 PM, Xatari said:

Couldn’t agree more with @grapeape I moved my chips “all in” on OA. I work in the financial industry and art is the asset class that continues to be at the forefront of conversations about where to place equity right now. Traditionally the conversation has been grounded in classic art, but over the past few years, original comic art has been regularly discussed. Comics are the bleeding edge of pop culture and have continued to lead our entertainment spending when extrapolated into film and media. Original comic art is the highest collectible class in this genre. 

Now speaking as a straight fanboy, what other hobby has this much connection between the creator and end user? I love interacting with artists along my collecting journey. When I was engaged with comics, the artists felt so distant and elevated, but now I am daily messaging artists about their work, several of who have become friends. Best. Hobby. Ever. 

Interesting comments.....I'm reminded of Mr Glass in the movie unbreakable educating the father looking to buy a birthday present for his son in Mr glass' OA gallery that comic OA  is not a child's toy but a serious important art form😃

On 8/8/2022 at 1:01 AM, Xatari said:

Couldn’t agree more with @grapeape I moved my chips “all in” on OA. I work in the financial industry and art is the asset class that continues to be at the forefront of conversations about where to place equity right now. Traditionally the conversation has been grounded in classic art, but over the past few years, original comic art has been regularly discussed. Comics are the bleeding edge of pop culture and have continued to lead our entertainment spending when extrapolated into film and media. Original comic art is the highest collectible class in this genre. 

Now speaking as a straight fanboy, what other hobby has this much connection between the creator and end user? I love interacting with artists along my collecting journey. When I was engaged with comics, the artists felt so distant and elevated, but now I am daily messaging artists about their work, several of who have become friends. Best. Hobby. Ever. 

I think you ought to be a bit more temperate about this stuff. First, OA is not a unified market: it does not all go up, at least not by leaps and bounds. There are lots of pieces the market has deem “eh”, and they just sit around forever, unsold. The “classic” art market also has its duds, and some of that stuff actually does go down. Second, this is a hobby that is a lot of fun when you know the difference between major pieces, and artists, or the other things which makes it fun, but most people don’t and really don’t see much physical difference. That automatically means “limited buyers’ market”, which effectively caps price growth. Do people all know the difference between a good and bad Picasso? No, but there are enough people who do that they will generally be priced accordingly. And let’s not forget the “hot” artists in all areas of art, who burn as bright as a Banksy, but then flame out. As much as I hate to disappoint you, I guarantee that you (or I) are going to miss a lot of swings. Finally, we also have the aging factor: high prices based on nostalgia more than quality. Bottom line: I wouldn’t be all in on this stuff, but treat it as a highly speculative investment when you get into the nitty-gritty. 

You are not disappointing me in any way. I have a solid track record of calculated risk. My background in finance so I constantly analyze trend analysis, risk mitigation, and opportunity cost. 

People say “buy what you love”. This is true if you are content with no exit strategy. For those who want to both love what they have and have a viable exit strategy if needed, this is not the best advice. These need not be mutually exclusive. If you want to be able to get out in an emergency, buy what you and others widely love or will love later on.

I have seen people talk about their selling their collection down the road with the current collector market in mind. If you think you are selling in 20 years to this collector group, you may want to rethink your strategy. A wise collector considers who is buying in their sales timeframe. If one thinks they may exit in 20 years, they should think through the pieces and characters who are relevant to that generational collecting group. 

This is where a collector like Thom Fish was WAY ahead of the curve in his early buying. 

Again, I love the art I own and have personal attachment, but I can acknowledge there may be a day when other priorities in life may constitute a need or desire to sell pieces from my collection. That’s just reality for most of us. 

Edited by Xatari

On 8/8/2022 at 9:20 AM, Xatari said:

You are not disappointing me in any way. I have a solid track track record calculated risk. My background in finance so I constantly analyze trend analysis, risk mitigation, and opportunity cost. 

People say “buy what you love”. This is true if you are content with no exit strategy. For those who want to both love what they have and have a viable exit strategy if needed, this is not the best advice. These need not be mutually exclusive. If you want to be able to get out in an emergency, buy what you and others widely love or will love later on.

I have seen people talk about their selling their collection down the road with the current collector market in mind. If you think you are selling in 20 years to this collector group, you may want to rethink your strategy. A wise collector considers who is buying in their sales timeframe. If one thinks they may exit in 20 years, they should think through the pieces and characters who are relevant to that generational collecting group. 

This is where a collector like Thom Fish was WAY ahead of the curve in his early buying. 

Again, I love the art I own and have personal attachment, but I can acknowledge there may be a day when other priorities in life may constitute a need or desire to sell pieces from my collection. That’s just reality for most of us. 

Thank god I have heavily invested in Sal Buscema.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:49 AM, batman_fan said:

Thank god I have heavily invested in Sal Buscema.

20g have been removed from your chocolate ration. We must never speak positively of “the average”, even in jest. Please be more mindful of your words, citizen. Let’s all do our part…FEADC8BC-6DFF-4176-AFEB-EFC7312D25FE.thumb.jpeg.dcb2a3f7c798cbb90f9717cecf0eb189.jpeg

Edited by zhamlau

On 8/7/2022 at 9:41 PM, grapeape said:

Assuming you feel huge losses are coming. Are you selling off your art to avoid huge equity shedding? I’m just curious how you’re handling your collection. I’ve taken note of your concerns but how are you taking action if any? Or are you going to hold on and  wait out the potential coming storm?

For me I’m comfortable with what I’ve invested financially in the OA. If we see collectible stressors collapse the market value I will be fine. I plan on going about my life, playing with my granddaughter and niece, and looking forward to the sun rise and sun set.

I plan on waiting out any “collapse.” I love all the art I have and at the end of the day the 💰 value associated always came secondary to me. I’m not naive it would sting to lose 💰 value just like it does when you watch your 401k take a nasty dive. I simply don’t plan to panic or cause panic. 

I believe the crazy prices we saw the last two years..... 🥁..... are nothing compared to what’s coming. Like Vodou says why liquidate the highest quality items now? Sellers are taking “big” profit but in the future I feel many will regret some of the pieces they let go. It just might be today’s “big” profits were merely a fraction of what they'll hammer for ten years from now.

You would think I’m a dealer with what I’m about to say but I’m not. I think you should buy buy buy. But auctions bring about crazy bullseyes on the prizes you want. The way to “win” now is to make private deals and work your butt off to find material away from the spotlight. Buy and stash. Buy and hold. Stop flipping and hold. I see big 💰 in the coming years. Not that I care. I look to buy away from HA so I can have a chance to make deals and find pages I want without competition. If when I’m done with this “thing of ours” and walk away,  I can cash a check for my family, well all right all right all right.

However you all approach OA in these coming years just use common sense. I wish you all the best.

🍇 🦍 

I sold 95% of my collection in the precious years. The chances of me purchasing something in the next 6 months or so are nil due to the current prices. I can afford it, I just don't see the value at these numbers. I think only the best of the best will remain close to this market, however even those will be affected quite a bit. About ninety-eight percent of everything else is going to see drastic price declines. imo. I do agree that eventually prices will rise past even these levels again. That may take a while though. I think even when the market does rebound, for a time collectors are going to be way more cautious. Of course, people having short memories, that will eventually fade.

I do agree, the true historic pieces are going nowhere but up in the long term. Just we went to high to fast. And I know I am being redundant, but way, way too much common "junk" increased too high in price. I just don't see where the value in, to just pick any example, there are thousands, even tens of thousands, I do not see where a Defenders #52 cover is valued at 20k. Now don't nit pick me and say you know someone who sold a similar item for 12k, I am just making a general example. 

Yep, same to you. If your content with your collection emotionally and finically then that is a good place to be. I hope most collectors are.