• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL: To decide if we should add a rule to the Forum Marketplace
3 3

Poll to see if a new rule needs to be added to the Forum Marketplace  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule listed below be added to the Marketplace area of the forum or is no new rule needed?

• Add a new rule that states all books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.
    • No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession. 

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/24/2022 at 02:00 PM

190 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2022 at 8:25 AM, Bird said:

I do understand. I could easily have replied "I dare you to..." at any time. ("I dare you to make the choices 100% of possible options" etc) I am trying to share my knowledge of test construction in the chance you are interested in improving the polls you obviously enjoy making. I have written multiple choice tests and undergone item analysis, not in many moons but I have done so. You seem to enjoy making them and isn't feedback critical to the process? I was just replying this morning to your own post about being overly snarky. It is a shaping process. Less is more in my opinion. Less words to be interpreted means more valid results. Satisfy the scientific process, not the people taking the poll.

We!!!!lll......I'm going to try to say this without being overly snarky.  But before I do.....let me just say that I do recognize you're actually just trying to help and appreciate the thought.

I understand some of you have done this type of stuff in your academic and/or professional lives.  But no....I'm not really interested in doing a full month long analysis and exploring every possible alternative in order to go through a comprehensive elimination process.  Its a poll to possibly add a selling rule to a comic book message board.  Its not my job.  Its certainly not fun for me, and I don't enjoy it. 

I'm simply trying to help out where, based on the voting patterns so far, there is obviously a need.  I would MUCH prefer that someone else would volunteer to step up for these things and take time out of their days for a week(s) at a time to see them through.  i would wait for that to happen, but sadly, I seem to be one of only a few that's actually stupid enough to do it.  I'm sure all of this makes me come off as some huge jerk.....and that's ok.....just trying to be truthful about it.  

I knew that was going to come off snarky.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:25 AM, Bird said:
On 7/19/2022 at 10:21 PM, Readcomix said:

Asking out of ignorance — what makes legitimate pre-orders such as SS books a foolproof exception? Similar things that we are trying to address here really can’t go comparably wrong in those instances? (Not being a snark; I’m truly clueless as to what makes a safe exception)

Expand  

I don't do SS so this seems off to me as well. Aren't those books coming back from cgc just like non-SS books? Or more clearly, there is no legit reason to not have books in hand if you are selling so why exempt the SS?

On 7/20/2022 at 6:31 AM, Bird said:

this is why I questioned it's inclusion in the poll, the ambiguity here hurts the poll validity and reliability.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:57 AM, CGC Mike said:

It's my understanding, that the signature series forum is exempt from the marketplace rules.  In over 10 years of moderating here, I have not had to go there once for any selling.  I am a little torn as to which way to go for allowing pre sales in the selling forums.  It's my feeling that they should not be exempt from the rule.  This is something we will have to work out after this poll is finished.  

On 7/20/2022 at 7:06 AM, Bird said:

so if the rules do not apply to SS, why not leave the ambiguity about ss books out of the final rule? Then the rule would read much more simply and SS can ignore it as they do without issue. (I am talking about the "final" rule if there is one, not the poll Q.)

On 7/20/2022 at 7:19 AM, CGC Mike said:

Sometimes, SS presale does spill over into the forum only selling sections.  Ideally, a 3rd choice in this poll would have been best but, I don't think not having it will skew the results.  I think this is something we should address after this poll is finished.  If it is decided in another poll that people don't want presales to be exempt, I would just edit the new rule from this poll, provided the majority vote for option #1.

There is one here I know that could better explain all of this and it applies to him.

@Rich_Henn

On 7/20/2022 at 8:25 AM, Bird said:

So for example, I may have done 1st poll "a proposed rule for consignment books, pre-orders, books not back from cgc and other situations where books are not in possession of the person listing them for sale"

a) hardfast rule, you must be in possession of all books listed for sale

b) exceptions should be made, a softer rule should be formed that allows for exceptions.

c) no rule is needed

Then if b gets votes, a poll for exceptions to the rule blah blah blah

a) only books at cgc - any label

b) only SS books

Not being a spoon, just wanted to give an example

Just saw this added edit to your last post.

If you do a poll like that in here, I've got 20 bucks that says 99 percent of the forum members will take one look at it...close their browser...and reach for their bong.

Yes, I'm being snarky.

And yes, I'm joking...sort of.

And yes, I absolutely think you need to be the Official Forum Poll Maker after this one is done.  Because I'm going to see if Mike can permanently ban me from being able to make polls in the future.

Edited by Domo Arigato

OK I’ll lay off I thought you were interested in doing it so you would be interested in doing it better and that’s very snarky but the truth. I am interested in the process of test construction I’m not interested in that application to the board as much

Edited by Bird
Who cares about generating meaningful data or scientific rigor let’s just get those clicks likes and hearts

On 7/18/2022 at 2:14 PM, wombat said:

I would have voted for a rule stating the seller had to state if the books were in hand or not. We are all adults. If someone wants to buy a book not in hand I don't see why anyone else would care. 

Me too.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:56 AM, Bird said:

OK I’ll lay off I thought you were interested in doing it so you would be interested in doing it better and that’s very snarky but the truth.

Therein lies the two problems.

1. Nobody....that I've seen.....wants to do this as a second job.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If I am.....I would like to invite any forum member that wants to do this for the next forum issue to please quote this post and volunteer your future services for it.  I will happily pass the reigns, and will be your fake forum friend (FFF) for one full month (similar to Dylan's system, this service is easily worth close to $1,000 for a month).
  2. In the context of a chat forum (not a policy and procedure manual for a corporation), many in here have their own idea of what "better" is....their ideas on how to do it better are all different...and they all think they're right.  

I raise snarks on a farm....plus I buy snark sauce in 55 gallon drums. :baiting:

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/20/2022 at 8:12 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I don't do signature series......but when I think of something like a pre-sale, I think of a scenario like the following:

Hey everyone.....artist X is selljng his exclusive convention cover of Billy Badass #1, and they're only available at my local con.  They're $20 each, or $30 each signed.  Let me know how many you'd like of each one and send me payment and I'll pick them up for you.

A rule with no exception would not allow this.

@CGC Mike

Just as an observation......I didn't seen anyone comment on the quote above.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Therein lies the two problems.

1. Nobody....that I've seen.....wants to do this as a second job.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If I am.....I would like to invite any forum member that wants to do this for the next forum issue to please quote this post and volunteer your future services for it.  I will happily pass the reigns, and will be your fake forum friend (FFF) for one full month (similar to Dylan's system, this service is easily worth close to $1,000 for a month).
  2. In the context of a chat forum (not a policy and procedure manual for a corporation), many in here have their own idea of what "better" is....their ideas on how to do it better are all different...and they all think they're right.  

I raise snarks on a farm....plus I buy snark sauce in 55 gallon drums. :baiting:

despite your denials, there is hope yet! You have learned since if you have a 1) you should have a 2)! This is growth here! the fruit of herculean labors!

1. Should the rule listed below be added to the Marketplace area of the forum or is no new rule needed?

Edited by Bird
snark farms? dem baby snark

I don't usually do tat for tat anymore, but this was fun and I started by trying to help for the forum's sake. I thought that was the goal. We can snark all day (how is it tasting @The Meta?) but I will stop now. I will accept parting shots out of fairness but will (hopefully) refrain from commenting anymore on this particular poll.

I know I’m chiming in front the sidelines, but I figured that a simple statement of having books in-hand or not might have just been the best way to explain it.

if you don’t care if books are consigned or not in-hand, at CGC or whatever, you are free to do business with that seller. Personally, I’m lost to how the rule got so muddied up with the SS or sketch covers and all the other variables that are common here. Can’t a new rule just state whether books are in-hand or not? 

The learning curve will be getting sellers to remember to state that in their threads - but after 6 months, I can’t imagine it would be hard to police and it would offer another level of community enforcement should a buyer get in a bind.

:deadhorse:

On 7/20/2022 at 5:27 PM, Bird said:

despite your denials, there is hope yet! You have learned since if you have a 1) you should have a 2)! This is growth here! the fruit of herculean labors!

1. Should the rule listed below be added to the Marketplace area of the forum or is no new rule needed?

Sure.....but I didn't learn that here. 

And I'm still waiting for some of that hope.....so I'll quote the post again and bat my eyes in your general direction.

Do you not fully realize the value of a month long fake friendship from me.......it's huge.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

On 7/20/2022 at 5:41 PM, Bird said:

I don't usually do tat for tat anymore, but this was fun and I started by trying to help for the forum's sake. I thought that was the goal. We can snark all day (how is it tasting @The Meta?) but I will stop now. I will accept parting shots out of fairness but will (hopefully) refrain from commenting anymore on this particular poll.

Obviously I think we're both only being a little serious with a lot of joking mixed in.  Snarky but not genuinely upset.

It at least keeps the poll towards the top of Comics General so more people will see it and can vote.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:49 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I know I’m chiming in front the sidelines, but I figured that a simple statement of having books in-hand or not might have just been the best way to explain it.

Personally, I would have been ok with that.....because it wouldn't have affected me in the slightest.  The thought was that it might affect some legitimate sellers who offer books that might only be available in a pre-sale.  

See the somewhat generic example I quoted about six posts above.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:49 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Personally, I’m lost to how the rule got so muddied up with the SS or sketch covers and all the other variables that are common here. Can’t a new rule just state whether books are in-hand or not? 

You'll have to go back and read both of these poll threads in detail.  It will start to become painfully obvious.

Edited by Domo Arigato

What's a legitimate pre-sale for SS?  How does that differ from someone like @VintageComics who will list the scans and the CGC grades when they are shipping back to him?  Where instead an SS opportunity can go WAY more haywire than a return ship from CGC (Bad signature placement, grade isn't a 9.8, timeline of signing gets pushed)

I'm glad we are adding more rules as even the most basic ones can't be followed right now :ohnoez: 

On 7/20/2022 at 6:16 PM, Iceman399 said:

What's a legitimate pre-sale for SS?  How does that differ from someone like @VintageComics who will list the scans and the CGC grades when they are shipping back to him?  Where instead an SS opportunity can go WAY more haywire than a return ship from CGC (Bad signature placement, grade isn't a 9.8, timeline of signing gets pushed)

I'm glad we are adding more rules as even the most basic ones can't be followed right now :ohnoez: 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:07 PM, Domo Arigato said:

That's a fair question, and it will be up to Mike to decide. 

I don't deal with them, but my understanding is that sometimes, the best or even only way to get a particular book and/or signature might be through a pre-order.....so I wanted to leave an "out" for that possibility.  I'm really not trying to interfere with someone's legitimate business in here.

If the new rule passes........Mike can either decide to fine tune the rule to state what type of pre-orders he will allow........or he can simply leave it up to his later judgement.  In that case, if a sales thread seems to be pushing the boundaries for an actual pre-order, then a member can report the thread and leave the final decision up to Mike.

What is clear, is that two scenarios will no longer be allowed if this rule is implemented. 

The first scenario is when books are supposedly being sold on "consignment", but the seller doesn't actually have them in their possession.  If you are selling a book(s) for someone else, you are going to be required to have them in hand prior to listing them for sale on the forum. 

The second scenario is books being listed for sale that are still at CGC, or are on their way back from CGC, and aren't actually in the sellers possession.  Those people are going to need to wait until they actually get their books back in their hands before selling them in the forum.  

Under this rule, neither of those two scenarios will be allowed.    

On 7/20/2022 at 7:16 PM, Iceman399 said:

Roy can wait until he has the books in hand, and the SS stuff can stay in the signature room.

Easy Peasy