• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC ruined my book during private signing
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I submitted a brand new Silver Surfer Rebirth #1 to CGC for the Mico Suayan private signing and remarking, paying $150 for the service. I received the book from BigTimeCollectibles, and it was in excellent condition. I took a picture of it and checked it over to make sure it was a 9.8, and it was, so I send it off. I don’t send ANY modern books in unless they are at least a 9.8/9.6. I receive the book back, and it’s graded at 9.2 (Grader’s Notes: light staining on the cover). I know, for a fact, there was not a stain on the cover! There doesn’t even appear to be a stain in encapsulation. I have emailed and called CGC to try to figure out what went wrong and how to get this rectified, but have not received a satisfactory answer yet. I got in touch with one agent who said someone’s book had recently been ruined when a handler/artist spilled hand sanitizer on it! What the hell?? I know you sign a waiver, but, to me, that means minor dings, not someone STAINING YOUR BOOK! This is absolutely careless and ridiculous on the part of CGC. I’ve also included pictures of multiple stress marks that were not there and the comparison image I took before sending it off. I don’t send books to you to destroy, CGC! At least have the decency to refund the signing/remarking. I didn’t pay $150 to have my book “stained.” Someone needs to answer my inquiry, and you need to correct this, CGC!

4A6FF183-2DE3-4AB6-9891-2AA3B591EBE7.png

28ADA40F-3659-48EA-89BD-41F75B92150A.jpeg

D8A66409-E3AC-4CDC-88CC-B04D061C94CF.jpeg

408BD3C8-EA9C-42A8-87E0-1CBE5286D0EF.png

3BB27885-C11D-447E-B80B-258E80900EF8.jpeg

71649BB6-FE00-4F6A-9786-866DCADFA0BE.png

E2BB455C-9B30-497E-810A-E40C069E2D59.jpeg

I sent in a CGC GRADED 9.2 to the McFarlane signing a couple years back. It came back to me a 7.5. Did they crack it with a chainsaw? Did Todd use it as a coaster during coffee break? Who knows what they do with your books but I’m pretty sure they accept no liability. Good luck to you.

Excellent job in taking Before pics, it's pretty rare to see that when someone has a complaint!

This is a really disappointing situation, but I don't know if you have any recourse. What is your desired outcome and what have you been requesting?

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/21/2022 at 11:59 AM, Patrick Jones said:

I’ve been requesting a refund for the private signing/remarking fee. Like I said, I didn’t pay $150 to have my book screwed up or to have some apparent “stain” be on my book.

You might check with The Signature Room forum here and see if they have any advice.

@Patrick Jones - it sucks to hear when anyone goes through an experience like this with CGC, and sadly it seems to be getting more and more common.  Unfortunately, based on what I'm hearing from a few friends who do a lot of business with CGC, the response you're most likely to get is something like "Hey, chit happens."  

CGC is starting to believe that it is too big to fail.

Sucks but that's the way the cookie crumbles.  At least its not that valuable of a book.  FYI, CGC literally puts that first thing when you submit:  

SUBMITTING FOR A SIGNING EVENT?

• THERE IS AN INHERENT RISK WHEN A COLLECTIBLE IS SUBJECTED TO ADDITIONAL HANDLING FROM A SIGNING EVENT, WHICH MIGHT RESULT IN A LOWER GRADE THAN BEFORE.
  • I accept the above-described risks associated with my submission and agree to release, waive, and discharge Certified Guaranty Company, LLC (“CGC”) and its employees, agents, and representatives from all liability for associated damage, whether caused by negligence or not.
Edited by Bluemedgroup

On 7/22/2022 at 8:30 AM, djzombi said:

That's really, really shady that they tell you to waive all liability from CGC even if they are negligent.  No real incentive to treat stuff well if every single member has agreed to this.  

Is that not the case everywhere? 

Go to a go-kart track, they make you sign a liability waiver 

Go to a trampoline park, they make you sign a liability waiver 

Go to a haunted house, they make you sign a liability waiver 

They all make you sign waivers, yet they are all packed with customers day in day out.  Same with CGC, tens of thousands of books waiting to be graded.  People ain't gonna stop using CGC as generally they get a good product back.  If 1 person stops using CGC because they messed up their book, they won't even notice.  

The CGC event waiver doesn't appear to exclude claims, including claims of negligence, against the actual signing artists, who are not "employees, agents, [or] representatives" of CGC. But you'd have to be both really litigious and really dumb to press such a claim outside of truly exceptional circumstances. It would also be a good way to ensure that you'd never get to do business with CGC, that artist, or ... anyone in this hobby, really, ever again.

Edited by Qalyar

On 7/21/2022 at 5:19 PM, rexinnih said:

I cross my fingers everytime I send in for Sig Series. All good so far but more are in the pipeline. Sorry to hear about this. 

These days, I cross my fingers everytime I send in anything.  I guess fortunately for me I haven't submitted much of late, but I will have a book there soon and how it returns to me will definitely be on my mind.