• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 3:05 PM, Willbert said:

The Stray Dogs Acetate was manufactured by the publisher, Image, whereas the UF4 was altered by Black Flag. The Stray Dogs Acetate has a unique barcode and a $12.99 cover price versus the Stray Dogs cover A price of $3.99. The UF4 is an admitted recycled facsimile book from 2021. Outside of having 4 staples there is nothing, I repeat, nothing similar about the origins of these books.

But set all that aside, can someone explain to me how 274 copies of Stray Dogs Acetate can be on the census and there is not a single 10.0 or 9.9? But Black Flag can submit 30 books, known so far, and have 3x10.0s, 11x9.9s among the 3 titles? So 0 out of 274 for a legit published book to grade above 9.8 but 14 out of 30 for retailer altered books.

This is the smoking gun right here.......explanations are in order CGC.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

CGC graded these comics only because the acetate cover was created by the artist himself.

And now we see how it's possible for three 10's and thirty+ 9.9's (between 3 of these abominations). Clayton Crain submits the books and gets impossible grades. These books were already released in the past, handled then, then handled again to staple acetate covers onto said books, handled again to send to CGC and then multiple 10's and 9.9's as a result.

Clayton Crain must be a wizard.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:08 PM, filmboyuk said:

Is it possible for a retailer to pay CGC to send someone round to sift through all the copies and pick out those most likely to get 9.9 or above? Or to send them all in, and have them screened for 9.9 and above? 

No need for all that.

Pretty sure the invisible book fiasco proved specific grades can be requested and paid for. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:19 PM, mattn792 said:

And furthermore, who qualifies as an "artist"?  What's to say I ask my prettier half to draw up an add on cover for some '90s drek issue, and we staple up a 100 copies.  Do we get a blue label for our frankencrap? 

Or maybe Black Flag really did slide an unmarked envelope across the table...

The way mike stated it was that " The artist" meaning the original artist who did the underlying books original cover also did the acetate.  

So for example if I were to commission Dan Jurgens to do a Doomsday acetate overlay for the Superman #75 books I could then staple those over a bunch of those books and submit them to CGC for universal 10's , 9.9's , 9.8's. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:20 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 8/9/2022 at 2:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

CGC graded these comics only because the acetate cover was created by the artist himself.

If you confirmed that, then why don't these have a yellow label?

I mean that is what @onlyweaknesskryptonite pointed out and I agree with,

On 8/9/2022 at 2:19 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Can we reconsider a yellow label then? If it's the "artist?" Cause y'all have declined that before, and it would be ok to some to not ruin a book idk. I mean if it is a change, why can't I do this to coverless books of ng's? Is there a reasoning?

They do the same thing with "artists" that cut up a book to have the 1st page show through to "color the design of the 'cut" I forget what they called it, but there is a name for it.

How is this any different?

On 8/9/2022 at 2:20 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you confirmed that, then why don't these have a yellow label?

They were " produced " not individually hand painted/sketched.  Now had he actually hand made all of these , They probably would have done the Yellow label .

On 8/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I mean that is what @onlyweaknesskryptonite pointed out and I agree with,

They do the same thing with "artists" that cut up a book to have the 1st page show through to "color the design of the 'cut" I forget what they called it, but there is a name for it.

How is this any different?

I mean this still counts out "NG" no grade designation of classic books that are still pricey but are tempted to be thrown in the trash :( with no cover, no registry points.

Odd that the hill we're meeting on is for moderns when "classics" are being neglected. I mean, "has to be the 'artist?" not writer, or anyway to avoid a "NG?"

Use this to right something idk

On 8/9/2022 at 2:26 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They were " produced " not individually hand painted/sketched.  Now had he actually hand made all of these , They probably would have done the Yellow label .

There is always a catch :( 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The way mike stated it was that " The artist" meaning the original artist who did the underlying books original cover also did the acetate.  

So for example if I were to commission Dan Jurgens to do a Doomsday acetate overlay for the Superman #75 books I could then staple those over a bunch of those books and submit them to CGC for universal 10's , 9.9's , 9.8's. 

You ring up Jurgens, I'll pay half the freight, and we'll end up like...

Today's Breaking Bad Nerd-Out: Did Walter White Have Enough Money in Those  Barrels? | GQ

On 8/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Iceman399 said:

So when I create my own stick figure cover cgc will grade them? 

only if it is "produced" by modern machinery, evidently, if you come near that thing yourself then look out! lol