• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2022 at 7:49 AM, Galen130 said:

Someone clued me in to this thread yesterday, so I thought I’d sit down with my coffee and read through the entire thing.  I only read the first page yesterday and figured I’d catch up today.

Then I realized that I don’t care enough about these shenanigans anyway to waste valuable time I could use for something productive.  It all proves what I’ve been saying for awhile…the comic industry has turned into another money grab, like Disney and the MCU.  I’m of the mindset….what goes around, comes around.

Okay, I’ve got nothing better to do today, so I better get started.  I don’t know where I’m going, but I can’t wait to get there. (thumbsu

Here endeth my opinion.  :shy:

On 8/11/2022 at 8:52 AM, Axelrod said:

And any store can get their own "exclusive" variants as long as they are ordering at least 3000 copies?  Or is it maybe just certain stores/businesses that have a relationship with Marvel?

So, they had their own exclusive variant already, but, they didn't sell out of the original 3000 they ordered.  And so, someone had the idea to juice up the remaining stock (or at least 750 copies of it) with this acetone cover and make an "even-more-exclusive" exclusive out of it?  

And people went nuts over this?  

7 minute short version of Black Flag UF 4 acetate C2E2 con 'exclusive variant' commentary from another USA RETAILER instead of the 2 hour long YouTube collector drama over 4 staple Cgc 9.8 and up acetates slabbed a full week BEFORE C2E2 started:

On 8/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, A. Schaeffer said:

I gotta wonder if anyone is now going to try having an artist make something on a clear overlay, staple that to a book and send it in as a custom variant now that CGC has weighed in saying that as long as the artist designed it it's "manufactured"
That can't be a fun pandora's box to open 

I am pretty sure there is no way anyone is going to get away with doing that. 

That this was a one-time deal between CGC and Black Flag. Arranged to get the outcome they got, for cash.  Like they did with Bad Idea. 

That it has no effect on their procedures or standards. 

That they're just sitting silently waiting for it to blow over...because they know it will. 

Then, they'll make another deal sometime next year and we'll all talk about the new one. 

Repeat. 

On 8/11/2022 at 11:28 AM, FFB said:

I'll definitely give you credit for a clever and creative argument that the acetate cover is just packaging, but it's pretty clearly not "just packaging," and I would expect that argument to be disposed of in a paragraph or two if Black Flag actually raised it in court.

The foam covers included in the regular stapling of Blank Sketch covers, for protecting the actual cover, is packaging. This acetate cover is definitely not packaging.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

s-l400-1.jpg.27dbc8c8f871e749d89cdfa21097a03d.jpg

Crashing through a cage and a back full of thumbtacks?

On 8/11/2022 at 10:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This acetate cover is definitely not packaging.

If it were, CGC would have removed it, like the outer cover of Spider-Man 1 or Superman 75.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:49 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I am pretty sure there is no way anyone is going to get away with doing that. 

That this was a one-time deal between CGC and Black Flag. Arranged to get the outcome they got, for cash.  Like they did with Bad Idea. 

That it has no effect on their procedures or standards. 

That they're just sitting silently waiting for it to blow over...because they know it will. 

Then, they'll make another deal sometime next year and we'll all talk about the new one. 

Repeat. 

I would argue this is a unique situation compared to something like the Bad Idea cover only book. Here you have what is legit a bootleg by the very definition skirting the rules of anything else classified as bootleg, without publisher (marvel/disney) consent. Other people pointed out a line of variants called "museum editions" that are the same thing but those are rejected from grading. 
There could be no consequence to this like you said, but if you're an impartial third party grading service credibility would be a major asset worth protecting..I would think...
But I'm just one customer sending books seeing this unfold with a raised eyebrow., not some mass dealer or anything. 

On 8/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, aardvark88 said:

7 minute short version of Black Flag UF 4 acetate C2E2 con 'exclusive variant' commentary from another USA RETAILER instead of the 2 hour long YouTube collector drama over 4 staple Cgc 9.8 and up acetates slabbed a full week BEFORE C2E2 started:

I did not expect that voice to come out of that man. 

So a book that has another cover stapled over the original cover after manufacturing gets a 10.0 and 3 9.9s

Screenshot_20220811-095536.thumb.png.5c85f6a0bda53c7765d08af9ee8c65ea.png

CGC has only one course of action.

Recall the slab books and put them in blue labels with a 7.0 grade.

Or put them in green labels with their original accurate 'cough cough' grade!

Or the next time I think about sending books to be graded by a IMPARTIAL third party grading company... Well...

Screenshot_20220811-095551.thumb.png.0080257f707aec4634a52d0213aa20be.png

On 8/11/2022 at 10:16 AM, Mike's Rack said:
On 8/11/2022 at 10:12 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I think you can renege on Ebay auctions several times before you are penalized. As a seller, I can specify that people who have 3 unpaid strikes in a month can't bid - but for a buyer to get that mark on their account you actually have to file an unpaid bidder report - which is a drawn out process compared to just cancelling your auction and starting it over again. Ebay is like 20% deadbeats, so their enforcement is on par with getting your car broken into in San Francisco: no one on their end cares.

“Leads?  Yeah, sure.  I’ll check with the boys downtown at the crime lab, they’ve got four more detectives working the case.  They got us working in shifts!

Leads!…”

71583807.thumb.jpg.5271372305cfefcecec5d2b325f8e7ec.jpg.4cc2c5ba430fc921b96e2a50b14184a6.jpg

On 8/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, Steven Z said:

I have never ever posted here before. I am only here to express my disappointment in your service for this behavior. This is worse than the invisible CGC slabs. 

I would only say that it's worse because of their response. In the case of Bad Idea, CGC said, "we're wrong". In this case, they have so far doubled-down on an inherently stupid decision.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, A. Schaeffer said:

I would argue this is a unique situation compared to something like the Bad Idea cover only book.

Is this that idiotic invisible comic book thing?

On 8/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, CJ Design said:

I'm still pissed and annoyed of the disrespect of the folded Flag...NO Red or White should be showing. RIP Dad.

Precisely why Marvel would not approve this defacement as a "variant". Regardless of how long ago your father passed, my condolences.

I don't really even understand the comparison to "Bad Idea" in that, my understanding is that was clearly a joke product.  

I get people were concerned by the fact that Bad Idea got to dictate what grades went on the "joke" invisible books, but, really, it's not at all comparable I don't think.