• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 1:17 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Nah, CGC has basically gave them the green light now.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are out there popping bottles of champagne as they shake hands with the influencers.  

This is the likely scenario. All the discussion gave influencers a talking point.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, Axelrod said:

It's like they were almost acknowledging that they possibly might have made a poor decision with the whole "For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade," thing, but then they just doubled down on the dumb.

I think they are silently hoping that their ambiguous criteria of only "established" artists working on their "own" original covers and only if they are submitted to CGC for "inspection" ahead of time, will mean that there won't be a lot of these types of submissions in the future.  

Luck with that.  

Actually, I wonder about the whole "must be submitted for inspection prior to any grading" thing.  Isn't that, like, every book?  Aren't they all submitted for inspection prior to grading?  Is this their way of indirectly addressing the abnormally high grades?  Well, see, we "inspected" these books ahead of time, and then, see, we told Black Flag what the grades would be if they went ahead and wanted to officially submit the books.  And then, Black Flag told us they just wanted all the real high grade ones to be graded....

I think we all know the answer to this.

I can't believe they'd need much discussion other than Black Flag saying "we want 1 10.0, 3 9.9's and 6 9.8's for each title" and CGC saying "ok".

It's crazy CGC would go through all this for what 20 or 30 total slabbed copies?

-bc

On 8/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Regardless, I naively believed that CGC still saw themselves as a neutral, third-party certification and grading service and bought into the hype that they are the best in the business.

It wasn’t naïveté- that’s how they branded themselves. And they built that brand for 20 years. Inexplicably, the powers-that-be don’t have the brainpower to comprehend the concept and foresight of managing their brand. Pooing yourself in front of customers - literally or figuratively - is never a good thing.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:29 PM, bc said:

I think we all know the answer to this.

I can't believe they'd need much discussion other than Black Flag saying "we want 1 10.0, 3 9.9's and 6 9.8's for each title" and CGC saying "ok".

It's crazy CGC would go through all this for what 20 or 30 total slabbed copies?

-bc

Well they will possibly get alot of the other copies from people chasing the 10 grade. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:36 PM, Chasing_keys said:

Well they will possibly get alot of the other copies from people chasing the 10 grade. 

Can you press an acetate cover? Asking for a friend....

-bc

On 8/12/2022 at 3:25 PM, jhenry30 said:

I like how the completely ignored the question as to how all 3 covers received the same ration of the grades.

They must've missed that one.......

or they'll respond with an answer to that in another 40-50 pages, need some time to think up some more crap.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, Prince Namor said:

Don't you know? Those who grew up their whole lives with the internet, have streamed their fair share of Law and Order episodes, they KNOW how the law works!

Don't forget the Judge Judy watchers. 

On 8/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, A. Schaeffer said:

I'm actually interested to see if they step it up and put a character they own on the overlay of a marvel book. Maybe they also talked to Disney ahead of time?

I don't know why I'm getting shades of a decade of looney tunes characters dressed as Kriss Kross on airbrushed t shirts. 

The name of the acetate edition that Black Flag indicated for the Ghost Rider book suggests they might be doing exactly that.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:11 AM, Phill the Governor said:

At a previous job I had in the industry (for one of the auction houses/online retailers mind you) etc I saw with my own eyes high-end walkthrough books with post it notes included on the submission form stating things like "book is a 8.0, give me a call if there are any issues". Funny enough, the books always came back with the "requested" grade. This has been going on for a long time.

I mean... Holy hell. That's the whole damn ballgame, isn't it.

Also, someone needs to get their hands on one of these 10.0s or 9.9s, crack it, resubmit it, and watch it get a 9.6.