• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 11:16 PM, Buzzetta said:

This is still the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a good long time.   The amount he charges for different color signatures is the biggest <spoon>bag thing I have seen in a good long time.   Murder Infinity Remark Signature on a graded books for $175... 

Laughable.

I don't know who are the biggest fools.  The guy charging this rate for this signature or the buffoons that actually wait in line and pay for this nonsense. 

Am I the only one who never heard of this guy until this thread?

On 8/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, Buzzetta said:

Back around 2012 I bought a stack of Ultimate Fallout 4's in the polybags for $1 each.

I still have 12 of them. 

I regret to inform you that your books have retroactively become cover less acetate versions since you are missing the amazing new acetate. However, you can now make a lot of money selling your cover less version of the week’s hottest variant!!!

On 8/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, Red84 said:

I regret to inform you that your books have retroactively become cover less acetate versions since you are missing the amazing new acetate. However, you can now make a lot of money selling your cover less version of the week’s hottest variant!!!

hah.. can you imagine.

from now on UF4 gets 'missing cover' and green label  :)

On 8/13/2022 at 9:07 PM, ScarletSpider94 said:

I’m pretty sure these have increased though.

ABF7BFCC-9B3E-4DC5-AF5E-06963AB4D14C.jpeg

Prices HAVE increased.
From the most recent CGC private signing in May.
https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/487345-cgcinhousesignng-a-lot-in-house-signings-pg-numbers-of-signers-and-deadlines-in-1st-post/?do=findComment&comment=12202538

Clayton Crain Classic Signature is $85 per item 
Clayton Crain Infinity Signature is $115 per item
Clayton Crain Infinity Murder Signature is $255 per item

On 8/14/2022 at 3:49 AM, Cman429 said:

Crain did a comic shop tour last year. He came to my LCS and the line for him stretched outside the store, down the corridor almost to the entrance of the mall. This store has had signings by Shooter, Golden, Land, etc and I’ve never seen 1/3 of that for any creator. On Black Friday they’re lucky if there’s 20 people in the store at a time, 

He’s been at Megacon every year the past several years. He’s so in demand that you have to give Flag your # and they put you in a ‘virtual queue.” The queue is usually full by around noon.

I’ve met him several times. The first time 4-5 years ago I got a sketch. I put the sketch on comicartfans just to show it off but every 6 months or so I get a message asking if I’d be willing to sell it. Turned down several decent offers. At the LCS signing I mentioned the owner set up a VIP line for us longtime pull box customers. I had grown men offering me $100+ to pretend they were with me so they could jump the line to meet this guy. 

It’s fine if you never heard of him. It’s fine if you hate his art or think he’s a talentless hack as I’ve seen others allude to. The fact is he’s an absolute rock star among modern comic collectors. His popularity is on par with what I saw with the OG Image founders back in the 90s. Except having done 1/10 of the work.  

As a comic collector who is still stuck in the bronze age I appreciate a modern comic fan's perspective. I remember there were mixed feelings about Frank Miller's art when he set the comic world on fire in 1980. I imagine it's the same with Crain based on your post. Just have to see if he and Black Flag can survive the cancel culture that has them in their crosshairs.

On 8/13/2022 at 11:16 PM, Buzzetta said:

This is still the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a good long time.   The amount he charges for different color signatures is the biggest <spoon>bag thing I have seen in a good long time.   Murder Infinity Remark Signature on a graded books for $175... 

Laughable.

I don't know who are the biggest fools.  The guy charging this rate for this signature or the buffoons that actually wait in line and pay for this nonsense. 

If people are willing to pay for it, I don't understand the issue with him charging for it.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 8/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, Red84 said:

Am I the only one who never heard of this guy until this thread?

His break was doing Marvel's X-Force relaunch with Yost and Kyle. He designed their grey and black costumes, which are still used to this day at times. They're certainly popular costumes. After that he had a Carnage project, and his style had a natural affinitity for the symbiotes, and iirc he stuck with that area for a few years. He's very popular now. 

On 8/14/2022 at 7:40 AM, Ryan. said:

I don't think cancel culture means what you think it means...

They aren't being ostracized by the comic collecting and online community because of C2E2? I thought that was the definition of cancel culture.