• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 11:05 PM, TTony said:

And Whatnot can boot you from the platform if you question the legitimacy.  

I got kicked off whatnot for asking why my request to buy was not replied to. I was not impolite at all. This was months ago, not C2E2 related

On 8/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, Bird said:

I got kicked off whatnot for asking why my request to buy was not replied to. I was not impolite at all. This was months ago, not C2E2 related

You didn’t give them enough time to get around to it and stuff, bro. Relax, fam.  

On 8/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Guys in the collecting community talking about showing up for a fight... gosh, there's nothing sadder. That's something that happens on a disturbingly routine basis in the Martial Arts community- those guys never show up either- but, if two guys were that serious about having a scrap, I think they should do it in an organized fashion: do it in a place where other comic fans can watch, having it regulated in the sense of someone being a referee and give it three two minute rounds or something similar. Then, collect money for this spectacle and donate it to the HERO Initiative. 

But they're never gonna show up to fight so this is all irrelevant.

My best friend owns a boxing gym and is a trainer/coach.  This is always his response when someone challenges him to a fight (sign a waiver, come on down to the club, put on some gloves and let's go a few rounds).  Nobody ever shows up.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:48 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I remember it like it was yesterday...

Same, but that's just because that was the first time I've seen this thread. And so many of my friends participated in it, and not a one sent me a link. 

Thanks, ya wankers! :acclaim:

On 8/17/2022 at 9:42 AM, LudaToke said:

My best friend owns a boxing gym and is a trainer/coach.  This is always his response when someone challenges him to a fight (sign a waiver, come on down to the club, put on some gloves and let's go a few rounds).  Nobody ever shows up.

I've got to say that his being a coach of a boxing gym probably helps deter these people as well. Why the f**k would someone challenge someone IN THE SPORT OF BOXING. It's ridiculous, it's Ashida Kim s**t. I bet your friend is NOT ever making these challenges. 

I recall a story that made the rounds in the late 1980s about Marvels new owners discovering the Editor in Chief of the company they just spent a good bit to buy was a high school dropout with zero business education or experiance.  Changes followed. 

Black Rock just dropped much more money on this company. I wonder how they feel about the current management team. Unforced errors don't inspire much confidence.

not to defend any of the people involved but the way they speak etc is how the youth speaks

they do an incredible job of relating to this market

so we can mock them as much as we want but they are making money

no cap

fr fr

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 8/17/2022 at 11:34 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So with CGC'S new policy on acetate, how long until we see this behind some sweet sweet acetate in a Universal CGC 10.0 ?

20220224_163410.thumb.jpg.bd15b707a99066f58930115ff6c90457.jpg

You'd have to get the original artist for the cover of Action 1 to make the acetate 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:10 AM, jsilverjanet said:

not to defend anyone of the people involved but the way they speak etc is how the youth speaks

no cap

fr fr

I would agree with you but sounding like a prepubescent child to sell comic books to "youths" doesn't make any sense since the ones buying the books are mostly over the age of 30.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:10 AM, jsilverjanet said:

not to defend any of the people involved but the way they speak etc is how the youth speaks

no cap

fr fr

Just because they are making “fat stacks of skrilla” (do the kids still say that?) doesn’t mean that I have to respect them.  I reserve the right to be an old .  When I was young, old bastards ridiculed me relentlessly, now it’s my turn :preach:

On 8/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, Mike's Rack said:

“fat stacks of skrilla”

I am going to work that phrase into conversation today amongst my 20–30 year old employees.

On 8/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, billsid said:

I would agree with you but sounding like a prepubescent child to sell comic books to "youths" doesn't make any sense since the ones buying the books are mostly over the age of 30.

not all of them, and many people under 40 are in this mindset also (youth)

On 8/17/2022 at 11:01 AM, Mike's Rack said:

Just because they are making “fat stacks of skrilla” (do the kids still say that?) doesn’t mean that I have to respect them.  I reserve the right to be an old .  When I was young, old bastards ridiculed me relentlessly, now it’s my turn :preach:

that's good just stating why they are doing it, not that I agree to it and probably a reason why I haven't started doing it myself (though I have considered hiring someone)

On 8/17/2022 at 11:18 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Coming up with ideas to grift or mislead people and make money is easy. if this guy had half a brain for scamming people, he’d have figured out how to launch his company as a non-profit. He’s just a huckster, with many more ahead of him holding the next thing people want to buy.

I think building a business based on a quality product, ethical practices and consistent service towards the customer base is the hard part. Sounds cliche, but Black Flag doesn’t seem to be into this for the long game.

I was referring more to the "influencers" and not this guy specifically

On 8/16/2022 at 9:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

Around a year ago Adam Lui joined the boards.  (I was mistaken it was not Liu, it was Lui.)  It was the age old story of noob joining, gets into arguments with everyone... and I mean everyone.  Then he threatened to fight everyone and for them to come to Merced, California to do so. 

He was eventually given his release from the CGC Boards. 

So he goes across the street as it were and starts complaining about here to there.  That's when he let his bright and sunshiny personality out over there as well and they instabanned him from across the street as well.  He wanted to fight people there too.  

He's a fighter that Adam Lui... 

I can give you some links if you want as a few were REALLY fun reads.  Most of what he did here was scrubbed but not over there.   

Good riddance 

As the board member that researched each label ID to provide the grades 'issued' aka 'given' to Black Flag it disturbs me that CGC has retroactively changed the verbiage on those books.
Especially as the initial 30 books (10 / 10 / 10) were no longer in their possession.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/511154-c2e2-variant-drama/?do=findComment&comment=12458838

On 8/17/2022 at 1:48 PM, Troy Division said:

As the board member that researched each label ID to provide the grades 'issued' aka 'given' to Black Flag it disturbs me that CGC has retroactively changed the verbiage on those books.
Especially as the initial 30 books (10 / 10 / 10) were no longer in their possession.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/511154-c2e2-variant-drama/?do=findComment&comment=12458838

It's actually pretty common for CGC to charge the label verbiage, as seen recently with the change in policy for foreign editions.  Most of my non-US editions now reflect different titles and even publishers than what are actually present on the comics themselves.  

I agree that it's disturbing, because the slabs exist in this quasi-state.  Today I have Die Spinne 15 from Williams Verlag, but if I sent it in for a reholder I would get back Amazing Spider-Man 13 by Williams Verlag, from 1974, with a notation of 1st appearance of Mysterio. :facepalm:  It used to be a niche issue, but it seems like they just do it whenever.