• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2022 at 5:04 PM, Buzzetta said:

I still have a somewhat related question based on what is going on with the competition and a comics publisher. 

https://www.counterpointcomics.com/

I have seen clarification that Counterpoint comics is going to print off more copies of non-limited variants to accommodate the loss due to negligence of the competition in losing 300+ books.   Counterpoint comics is an indie publisher, but CGC has graded these books before.  Image attached to familiarize those who are unaware of what they do.

How would CGC treat the issue of Counterpoint rolling the presses months after an original printing run creating or continuing the print run of a comic book where the original printing is indistinguishable from subsequent printings? 

Because at that point you have a publisher monkeying around with print runs.

I really do not think anyone has ever seen anything like this before.  Any time there was a lengthy interruption between printings the published material carried some type of indication that it was not from the original print run. 

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

If Counterpoint does something that makes the replacement copies distinguishable, then they'd be considered 2nd printings. If not, no notation. This is actually the reality for some underground comix, where there are known to have been multiple printings, but no reliable way to distinguish them.

The situation is a little weirder here because Counterpoint numbers the copies of most of their books, so in principle, someone who has knowledge of the books in question would be able to identify the reprints by copy number, but I don't think that's enough of an issue to make them "2nd printing" for label purposes.

More than anything, this is a reminder not to trust advertised print runs!

It also indicates that Counterpoint is willing to behave more like a print on demand service than a normal comic publisher, but I can't quite muster the effort to be surprised by that, given what a joke Counterpoint is as a "comic publisher" to begin with. They're basically just a vast factory for an endless series of covers, wrapped around a tiny number of largely low-effort books to pretend they're still comics. I have never understood why they hold any demand at all.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:19 PM, thehumantorch said:

Yay, progress.  Now that Steven McDonald has made this public CB!S is paying attention and communicating with him.  

I admit I don't even know what this is about.

On 8/30/2022 at 8:47 AM, mattn792 said:

Frankly, I'd like to thank the other guys for losing 300+ copies of those worthless Pooh books.  Sad to see the publisher replacing them, the world doesn't need any more litter.

Isn't just those  guys losing books.

CGC are replacing a SA Batman key they lost.

Went into their facility - and just went *poof* - poor old Joey has been fighting for 18 months for them to admit they lost it,and then to get them to replace it.

So CGC are just as bad at losing stuff

Edited by Beige

On 8/29/2022 at 10:19 PM, Beige said:

Went into their facility - and just went *poof* - poor old Joey has been fighting for 18 months for them to admit they lost it,and then to get them to replace it.

I don't think any grading company has a 0% loss rate when it comes to books, so I wouldn't be so quick to compare the two events of one lost book and 300+ lost books that were sent out of company HQ to a residential home.

But to be fair, this is just whats public. Maybe there's a long history of CGC losing submissions that just haven't had such a public outcry. At the very least we can say CGC is not "publicly" as bad at losing stuff

Edited by JC25427N

On 8/29/2022 at 10:44 PM, JC25427N said:

I don't think any grading company has a 0% loss rate when it comes to books, so I wouldn't be so quick to compare the two events of one lost book and 300+ lost books that were sent out of company HQ to a residential home.

But to be fair, this is just whats public. Maybe there's a long history of CGC losing submissions that just haven't had such a public outcry. At the very least we can say CGC is not "publicly" as bad at losing stuff

Eh...

What we know:

CBCS lost a submitter's books.

CGC has lost submitters' books many times, according to the CGC forums alone.  Then add those discussed on YT, IG, other forums, etc, etc.

Obviously one has been around a lot longer, so they've had more opportunity to fail.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/29/2022 at 6:04 PM, Buzzetta said:

I still have a somewhat related question based on what is going on with the competition and a comics publisher. 

https://www.counterpointcomics.com/

I have seen clarification that Counterpoint comics is going to print off more copies of non-limited variants to accommodate the loss due to negligence of the competition in losing 300+ books.   Counterpoint comics is an indie publisher, but CGC has graded these books before.  Image attached to familiarize those who are unaware of what they do.

How would CGC treat the issue of Counterpoint rolling the presses months after an original printing run creating or continuing the print run of a comic book where the original printing is indistinguishable from subsequent printings? 

Because at that point you have a publisher monkeying around with print runs.

I really do not think anyone has ever seen anything like this before.  Any time there was a lengthy interruption between printings the published material carried some type of indication that it was not from the original print run. 

This is essentially what Bad Idea said they were going to do with any printings subsequent to the first printing. That is, the second print will be distinguishable from the first print, but the third, fourth, fifth, etc. will be the same as the 2nd. They're all "Not First Printings." But then, they made that known before they ever did the first reprint.

On 8/30/2022 at 8:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wouldn't put it that way. Books have always been occasionally 'lost' by CGC, CBCS, etc.

CBCS is in big trouble because they shipped a customer's orders to an employee's personal residence.

Why couldn't they have shipped books that are blue chips to my address.

Then I could say, when questioned 

Screenshot_20220830-140811.thumb.png.b84a226e8150021b3a1e95d16ad379f2.png

On 8/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, Beige said:

Losing over 300 books from 1 submitter over 7 different submission batches is a very different level of incompetence  than losing 1 book.  

Comic books are going to have to be printed with Mothers and Stampers like records in order to keep their printings straight.

The minute that press turns off and the last sheet of paper hits the stack, that’s the end of the first printing.