• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, Beige said:

Why would anyone even buy this krap?

No idea.   It's not for me. 

But then people could ask the same of some stuff I buy. 

In this case though, I don't think people knew what this was when they saw it and waited in line.  I'm sure many would have decided not to. 

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/7/2022 at 9:07 PM, Sigur Ros said:

No idea.   It's not for me. 

But then people could ask the same of some stuff I buy. 

In this case though, I don't think people knew what this was when they saw it and waited in line.  I'm sure many would have decided not to. 

I think you hit the nail on the head right here. When I was in line, I had no clue WTF this book was supposed to be. I was just trying to get that ASM #1 exclusive.

I was more excited to get the Predator #1 Rahzzah variant then a UF4 facsimile/reprint that just looks bad.

On 8/7/2022 at 7:57 PM, Raze said:

So did this person get a copy of the book? Because I just watched a video of a guy in that line and he was 40th in line and he got 3 (2 raw and a CGC 9.8). 

He said everything that the OP posted so the story sounds right. What I can’t find out is did the original person still get a copy it?sounds like they should have been able to if they were 15th in line.

I wanted to go to C2E2 but didn’t want to drive 5 hours from St Louis. It really sounds like the show had problems and that sucks, because I love going.

From the original post it sounded like they did not.

On 8/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, Cman429 said:

I feel like people are directing ire at the wrong people. It’s easy to say “one person one copy” but it’s very expensive to make your own variant. I know two comic shops who did them and one barely broke even the other lost money despite charging $50 a copy. If these guys laid out $50k+ for these I totally understand being nervous and not wanting to turn down guaranteed money from someone buying 100+ copies.

The villain here are the flippers. Don’t reward them. There’s a lot of variant covers I’d love but I won’t pay 200% markup to these guys. Just like in the 90s when people hoarded #1s or whatever, let them choke on their own inventory until the bubble bursts, 

Disagree. When you advertise that it is available at your booth. Then you cart off however many comics in front of people who will not get
a copy thats poor management among other things. 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:28 PM, captainzombie said:

This is wild, so did all these YouTubers end up getting the copies of the books?

• Thirsty_For_Attention_Girl_Comics = nerdy girl comics
  • ConManThomas = comicTom
  • Scuttling_Creeps_Comics = Skeleton Key Comics
  • Golden_Girls_Guru = the dude that is on with Comic Tom from time to time.

I wonder who the rest of the people are that they are referencing?

Apparently quite a few.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:26 PM, fastballspecial said:

Disagree. When you advertise that it is available at your booth. Then you cart off however many comics in front of people who will not get
a copy thats poor management among other things. 

On 8/7/2022 at 9:28 PM, fastballspecial said:

Apparently quite a few.

Hopefully moving forward many of these companies only allow 4-5 copies per person and that is the cap. They should not allow people to run off with carts full of books.

Per the video: line jumping, no buying limits until they were “sold out” the first time, then found more and increased the price, then insane amounts for graded copies with a pricing issue. 

These are definitely big problems but so are people still buying after all of the above.