• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open discussion off the c2e2 drama. Are influencers destroying the hobby?
3 3

151 posts in this topic

I didn't even realize 'influencers' were a part of the comics industry until now. My LCS does quite well selling back issues (his business is 99 % back issues) and he stays off social media. I myself sell on MCS and do quite well, I also buy from various sources and have a nice collection..there is no obvious influencer influence in my process. I would garner that 99% of collectors (I am only throwing out a number but I imagine it's very large) don't even care about influencers..they collect what they want to collect because of a deeper interest. It's a fairly large number of people who collect comics...the hobby has survived a lot , it will survive 'influencers'

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, Ed Hanes said:

I didn't even realize 'influencers' were a part of the comics industry until now. My LCS does quite well selling back issues (his business is 99 % back issues) and he stays off social media. I myself sell on MCS and do quite well, I also buy from various sources and have a nice collection..there is no obvious influencer influence in my process. I would garner that 99% of collectors (I am only throwing out a number but I imagine it's very large) don't even care about influencers..they collect what they want to collect because of a deeper interest. It's a fairly large number of people who collect comics...the hobby has survived a lot , it will survive 'influencers'

It's always been there like others have said.  Just with a click of a button now instead of a monthly $4.99 magazine. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:40 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

It's always been there like others have said.  Just with a click of a button now instead of a monthly $4.99 magazine. 

true, I have just never been one to succumb to the hype..so i never really noticed

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 8/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, Beastfeast said:

It was only a matter of time before they came into the hobby.  If you've been around for video game streamers, box crackers, professional product reviewers, etc., you knew the absurd and performative "hype" that goes along with them.  The reason comic influencers are using it is because it works.  

Look at the thumbnails used for the most popular YouTube videos - It's all dumb surprise face and terrible layout.  That's what the kids are clicking on, though.  

It's not destroying anything except gullible peoples' wallets, right now.  However, when new collectors get a sour taste and feel cheated, they don't tend to stick around.  

Yes. The hobby of collecting comics is secondary to promoting themselves. I'm personally amazed at how many views they get- these "Speculation Bros"- it's always guys with prominent statues and CGC books behind them and them talking about grails and investments and blah blah blah... there's some sort of backwards elitism with these guys but that's my personal thing. People are watching this content and enjoying it, so who am I to say anything.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:02 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

. People are watching this content and enjoying it, so who am I to say anything.

Low print run, ASM related, (acetate) variant cover, raw copy may garner CGC blue 9.8+, (C2E2) con 'exclusive,' hyped online by 'influencers,' sold out at con for raw copy at $100 yet UF #4 4 staple variant may crash:

On 8/10/2022 at 9:21 PM, Artboy99 said:

the Boston fan expo decision to sell 10 copies to influencers and 1 copy to collectors is just more problems. How do they prove I am not an influencer and sell me only 1 copy? 

Secret handshake 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47akv8iey9fcf9k7h70t

On 8/10/2022 at 8:38 PM, Ed Hanes said:

There's a huge benefit to posting video content in that you don't have to move any product, you just have to generate views. The viewers are kids, and the content exploits that, all the way down to the kindergarten-style video thumbnails featuring overdramatic emotion and shiny text.

Because kids are the target, your average boomer collector isn't going to be hearing about it, similar to how the name Cocomelon won't affect them unless their family has pre-schoolers.