• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C**S ... is it true?
6 6

126 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, shadroch said:

CGC operated a pressing service for select customers and it was only by accident that it became widely known.  One company got caught sending books off-premises during covid.  Is it possible they were the only one doing so?  How were the missing books being transported?  I've been dubious about CGCs storage capability for a long time. I doubt they anticipated having to hold a years worth of submissions when they designed it.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are storing boxes off premises.  Given a choice of moving them off campus or not accepting new submissions, what would you do?

If I promised that received books were being held in a secure facility, and then realized I was about to hit capacity on that facility, I would either: 1) stop accepting new submissions, or 2) disclose what my mitigation procedure was going to be. Honestly, if that happened, the right solution would probably be to acquire some comparably secure, nearby warehousing solution to use as a holding area. That's ... not great, but it would probably be at least kinda-sorta tolerable if done with appropriate disclosure. Sure, some people would halt submissions until you sunsetted the overflow storage, but, hey, if you're operating above processing capacity, that's not the end of the world either.

What I would not do is covertly mail received books to Randy in Boise while allow everyone to believe that I was still holding them in my existing facility.

no matter what one thought of said company, the losing of CGC's only semi-serious competition can only mean worse customer service for those of us that still submit books to CGC. and worse quality control as well, since there is now no other grading option out there. 

On 8/29/2022 at 5:05 PM, alexgross.com said:

no matter what one thought of said company, the losing of CGC's only semi-serious competition can only mean worse customer service for those of us that still submit books to CGC. and worse quality control as well, since there is now no other grading option out there. 

Well, that's dramatic.

On 8/29/2022 at 4:05 PM, alexgross.com said:

What about EGS? They finally have a slab that's not sealed with a stcker. :roflmao:

On 8/29/2022 at 8:58 AM, Sigur Ros said:

50c.jpg

But yea, Mike is pretty patient and good about allowing people to vent their issues.

CGC knows if we can't do it here, we'll do it elsewhere.  They don't want that.

Can anyone look at the screen grab of the thread and really say Mike isn't patient?

On 8/29/2022 at 1:53 PM, Sigur Ros said:

So you believe CGC.  The guys who claimed "we know what we graded and stand behind it",  which turned out to be a lie. 

You don't know what they're doing.

Then why did you care enough to create an account over there and try to stir things up?   You never would have used them anyway.

Just curious, do you use CGC? If not, would you ever consider using them?

It's like we are trapped in a bed-crapping contest between the two legitimate grading companies in the industry.  It's frustrating, but it also underscores just how much monetary value their existence adds to our hobby.  And how critical their reputations are to creating and maintaining that value.    

On 8/29/2022 at 11:58 PM, JC25427N said:

Just curious, do you use CGC? If not, would you ever consider using them?

Of course I have.  I went to CBCS due to all the QC problems and inconsistent grading here at CG*.  Plus their cases are much better.  Got fed up with CBCS' lack of customer service and price increase and took C*C up on that $99 membership offer.  So I will use *GC for at least the $149 credit I now have.  And will hope for the best on the end product.  If all goes well, will see what happens next.

Not the answer you were hoping for, eh?

Mods:  Sorry if I got my asterisks in the wrong places.  My * key is finicky.  Feel free to fix them, or ban me, whichever.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 8/29/2022 at 12:24 PM, Qalyar said:

If the communication on the lost books over at the other guys' operation is to be believed at face value, they had set up a system during COVID where (apparently unopened) shipments in the receiving backlog were being sent to employees' homes for them to do the inbounding process, and then re-ship the indexed books back to the company operation for grading.

If that's accurate, holy :censored:. Transportation is the riskiest activity for books in the entire grading and encapsulation process. Lost books entirely aside, the idea that received books would be shipped to a residence, handled by an individual outside of the controls of the corporate environment, and then shipped back -- regardless of what method of "shipping" was employes, is horrifying. CGC has certainly had some problems, and I've been as happy to call them out as the next guy, but CGC has always made it clear that books received in the CGC facility are secured in that facility until they go back out the door on their way to their owner. Hell, not even the other other guys -- which we all universally make fun of as a slapdash operation with dubious-at-best standards -- has ever (as far as we know, I guess...) allowed books to leave their facility and return in the middle of the grading process stream.

I already considered CGC, problems or no, to be the best choice in the industry, but this is a hell of a coffin nail. The other guys might as well try to change their name and reboot their processes at this point.

If, as you write, what was said is true, I prefer to continue burying my comic books in my yard. :whatthe:

On 8/29/2022 at 3:30 PM, shadroch said:

CGC operated a pressing service for select customers and it was only by accident that it became widely known.  One company got caught sending books off-premises during covid.  Is it possible they were the only one doing so?  How were the missing books being transported?  I've been dubious about CGCs storage capability for a long time. I doubt they anticipated having to hold a years worth of submissions when they designed it.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are storing boxes off premises.  Given a choice of moving them off campus or not accepting new submissions, what would you do?

Bury them in my yard. :foryou:

On 8/30/2022 at 6:55 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Of course I have.  I went to CBCS due to all the QC problems and inconsistent grading here at CG*.  Plus their cases are much better.  Got fed up with CBCS' lack of customer service and price increase and took C*C up on that $99 membership offer.  So I will use *GC for at least the $149 credit I now have.  And will hope for the best on the end product.  If all goes well, will see what happens next.

Not the answer you were hoping for, eh?

Mods:  Sorry if I got my asterisks in the wrong places.  My * key is finicky.  Feel free to fix them, or ban me, whichever.

It was the answer I was hoping for, I like to believe people aren't hypocrites. 

On 8/28/2022 at 6:11 AM, CGC Mike said:

Under no circumstances are links to our competitors forum allowed to be posted here.  

I can't speak for legality nowadays, but years ago (like 20) there was legal ground to stand on with providing/posting links without permission. There was also an issue with posting links on parallel websites that actually helped the other party's search engine relevancy. Having this rule seems pretty ok.

Not to mention CGC may take the old Coke/Pepsi marketing strategy. Coke never acknowledges Pepsi, because they are number one. Pepsi acknowledges Coke because it lends legitimacy to their product, because they are number two. I also subscribe to that philosophy as well.

I don't know how that all shakes out, and I guess I probably don't care. It's their site, and if they don't want to acknowledge them - so be it. I don't use the other guys, and probably never will. I'm just here for interesting conversation.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:48 PM, Tnexus said:

I don't actually mind their cases, but CB*S's font and font size always bugged me. There's just too much dead space on their label and it looks weird.

The font size of their writer and artist notes and other issue information notes (e.g., "Classic cover", or first appearance information) is 8-point font, possibly smaller.  It is astonishing that this has never been enlarged.

Edited by zosocane

On 8/29/2022 at 3:42 PM, Qalyar said:

What I would not do is covertly mail received books to Randy in Boise while allow everyone to believe that I was still holding them in my existing facility.

I wonder if they charged clients  extra for the secure storage 

On 8/30/2022 at 12:17 AM, Nick Furious said:

It's like we are trapped in a bed-crapping contest between the two legitimate grading companies in the industry.

I’m curious as to what First Prize is in that sort of competition.