• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Destroyed books?!?!? CGC-exclusive Death of Superman 30th Anniversary Gold Foil Variant
4 4

113 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, Crops068 said:

The big difference here is that BTC has stated that video evidence of the destruction will be provided by CGC.  Personally, I have not seen any pulping proof provided when there is a "strict limitation" on any variant in this fashion.

Sure the exclusive provider can state they are going to do such but without evidence we have to rely solely on their word that is is done as such.

There will also have to be exactly 300 9.8s, no 9.9s or 10s in the mix.  Otherwise the stated only 9.8 copies sold and the other 700 destroyed will be a farce, creating the DeathOfSupermanGate. lol

Reveal hidden contents

Just my opinions, nothing more, nothing less. :)

You're right it is rarely displayed and mostly only talked about.  But most retailers don't have YouTube channels, or some place to post a video.

Plus, why would they care.  People are going to buy up exclusives regardless.

People just take them at their word.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, shadroch said:

Do you prefer the pink kool-aid or the blue kool-aid?

Directed at my post? If so, odd. I called this stuff junk. I never touch this garbage or any of the modern variant nonsense. Just pointing out the red herring re: grades being divvied out. That isn’t the “problem” here. Neither is any conflict of interest.

The “problem” is people buy this spoon.

If not directed at my post, carry on.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, BraveDave said:

The “problem” is people buy this spoon.

"As long as people accept cr@p, it will be financially profitable to dispense it." D|ck Cavett

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 9/1/2022 at 4:49 AM, Sigur Ros said:

This is normal for all limited variants.  They print more than they want so only the best condition books are sold. The rest get destroyed.  This isn't just a CGC thing.  It's about creating a collectible, not sharing a story.  

But...this is the Death of Superman from 30 yrs ago.  Why would anyone care if some, or all of them get destroyed?

Here, I'll save you some money... (he doesn't really die).

You're welcome.

So they went from "third-party grader" to "third-party destroyer of a submitter's excess inventory to help increase the value of the submitter's best stock". 

I see.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, jcjames said:

So they went from "third-party grader" to "third-party destroyer of a submitter's excess inventory to help increase the value of the submitter's best stock". 

I see.

Well, yeah.  But remember, along with BTC they are also the submitter.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, ak47po said:

explanation starts at 3 minutes with owner of BTC talking about the process with CGC.

I hope people will boycott this but probably won’t happen destroying comics just sounds wrong for any true collector who appreciates comics in all their forms.. I’m not a modern guy I do the buy the occasion books or runs here and there but something in my heart just says NOPE. Shouldn’t do this but not going to change the community over night but maybe this will make some people think twice about buying these destroyed book variants. 

buy the regular cover or silver only!!!! Boycott the gold!!! 

At least I tried to bring awareness to this as this was the first time I heard about this kinda business practice…could u imagine if they did this in the golden age or silver age all the kids that missed out on reading good stories and building relationships with books and characters, etc…would never of had the opportunity to enjoy those books….

:(:sorry:

On 9/1/2022 at 5:09 PM, WhatNow? said:

I told you, the New Zealand Mint!

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6726/

detective-comics-27-foil_lg.jpg

Not the same thing. These have raw releases as well and some come as 10 gems 9.9 and 9.8s they also are not destroying books it’s just a limited release.. the problem I have is destroying books that fans might want just for clout from YouTube and exclusives… 

like how would you feel if something you worked on was just ripped or destroyed in-front of you just for clout… wouldn’t you be upset 

I know if a copy of my drawing was ripped up, even if it was just a copy it would make me feel sad. Means they didn’t care about the work you did or the time you took to create that… 

I have no problem with limited runs but destroying artwork/books just for likes and exclusivity …. Just seems wrong 

Edited by Krismusic

On 9/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, WhatNow? said:

Are you aware that returnable comics have been destroyed for decades? When I worked at B&N I personally ripped hundreds of covers off their comics 

Please explain

On 9/1/2022 at 9:20 PM, Buzzetta said:

1 - I feel old.  Some of the earliest comics I sold were to my teachers in HS who wanted this.  I had access and made some easy money on the side. 

2 - I am beginning to sour on this hobby when I read things like this.  Makes me feel like I should start silently unloading more things. 

Yes, 100% yes!  The greed has gotten so blatant I suspect it will lead to an implosion, at least among the modern market.  It's just a matter of time now. 

On 9/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, Krismusic said:

Please explain

In the old days comics were returnable to marvel/dc. Then they decided they didn’t want the books back so they said “ok just rip off the part of the cover and send it to us as proof you destroyed the book and we’ll reimburse you for it”. Then marvel and dc didn’t even want that and just sent an affidavit that you promised that you destroyed the book. That was the story behind the mile high two find. A giant warehouse in ny filled with remaindered books (books that were supposed to be destroyed but weren’t). These remaindered books would then be sold off. I have a remaindered AF15 (they cut off the top third of the cover and returned it to marvel for the money back, but still sold the copy to someone.)

How exciting!  A new limited edition fleecing to celebrate the 30th anniversary celebration of the original fleecing of the sheep!  Where do I sign up?

Definition of fleece (Entry 1 of 2) 1a : the coat of wool covering a wool-bearing animal (such as a sheep) b : the wool obtained from a sheep at one shearing. 2a : any of various soft or woolly coverings. b : a soft bulky deep-piled knitted or woven fabric used chiefly for clothing. 

verb
gerund or present participle: fleecing
  1. 1.
    INFORMAL
    obtain a great deal of money from (someone), typically by overcharging or swindling them.
    "money that authorities say he fleeced from well-to-do acquaintances"