• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Destroyed books?!?!? CGC-exclusive Death of Superman 30th Anniversary Gold Foil Variant
4 4

113 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2022 at 3:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I’m not bothered with CGC’s involvement, it’s the appearance that they are not only ignorant of the waste, but they are so dumb that they flout it.

Waste is waste. I don’t necessarily believe retailers purposefully wasted those overruns in every variant scenario. I’d need more information before coming to that conclusion.

Typically the print run minimums are 1,000-ish. There are plenty of limited variants of 750, 500, 300, 100, etc, etc.

Some will rip covers and donate the remainder after finding the best copies (which is what happened to that coverless High Republic CGC graded at 9.8), but I think most just destroy them and recycle the paper.

I've just never seen outrage over this, until now.  Lol

On 9/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Typically the print run minimums are 1,000-ish. There are plenty of limited variants of 750, 500, 300, 100, etc, etc.

Some will rip covers and donate the remainder after finding the best copies (which is what happened to that coverless High Republic CGC graded at 9.8), but I think most just destroy them and recycle the paper.

The world changes. Blatantly wasting product and bragging about it in the face of inflation and the environment is idiotic. You can laugh all you want, but if CGC can’t read the room on the state of the world, they are going to get pushback.

Is it enough for them to care? Probably not - but they keep getting their hand caught in the cookie jar with bad idea after idea and it’s going to catch up with them - as it would for every other business making these kinds of flagrant errors.

I’m not a variant person, but I know a company doesn’t shrug their shoulders and throws away $500-$1000 worth of books they’ve paid for. That cost gets passed onto the customer in some fashion.

On 9/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Those that may be outraged, probably aren't aware it's been going on for over a decade, at least. I get it. We all are trying to go more green but unless you're driving an electric car, have a solar powered house and recycle everything you consume, you're just throwing stones in a glass house.

700 books aren't going to melt the remaining ice caps and how do we know they aren't recycling the destroyed copies somehow?

On 9/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, I like pie said:

Those that may be outraged, probably aren't aware it's been going on for over a decade, at least. I get it. We all are trying to go more green but unless you're driving an electric car, have a solar powered house and recycle everything you consume, you're just throwing stones in a glass house.

700 books aren't going to melt the remaining ice caps and how do we know they aren't recycling the destroyed copies somehow?

This has nothing to do with anything

The outrage lies in the fact there are less copies of a book than were once printed, what, 30 years ago

Its about scarcity, not the bloody environment 

The destruction or abandonment of comic books and other periodicals have long been speculated about, whether it is to increase circulation numbers in the case of periodicals, or in the case of limited edition variant comics, to meet the minimal quantity for the printer to roll the presses. 

On 9/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, The Meta said:

This has nothing to do with anything

The outrage lies in the fact there are less copies of a book than were once printed, what, 30 years ago

Its about scarcity, not the bloody environment 

He's just trying to state that it's been going on for 10 years or more. The outrage now are but faint embers, and if justified , past due. He's pointing out that this is being late to the party, and how is it cgc should take sole responsibility for a 10+ year business practice. That is cgc being late to the party as well, so they thought it over, this wasn't a whim. I wouldn't be surprised if done before is the person's post. :cheers:

That's not getting in a huff, it's relevant when no one seems to know about it, and they seem to be taking it as new information.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Didn't diamond do this for ages? How is this new news? I agree with a lot of it being underhanded, but this does seem old hat to the market.

On 9/2/2022 at 3:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

The destruction or abandonment of comic books and other periodicals have long been speculated about, whether it is to increase circulation numbers in the case of periodicals, or in the case of limited edition variant comics, to meet the minimal quantity for the printer to roll the presses. 

I really don't care to be "that guy" but it is Friday.

It sounds like moderns were neglected by the vast majority for too long and everything is correct. The stories didn't float the distribution, gimmicks were created. It was that way when I got here in 2016, I'm just as guilty for ignoring the hobby as anyone here, but this is like looking at the new as new when the new is old.  :cheers:

Anyway happy Friday 😜

On 9/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, I like pie said:

You people keep saying this, but give us an example where CGC destroyed books for a publisher? If it has, in fact, been going on for a decade it should be easy to provide examples. 

On 9/2/2022 at 2:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

The operative phrase being “speculated about”. It’s been going on for decades, but what makes this conversation different is that there is an open admission of destroying books by the retailer.

I’m not trying to dictate what CGC does - I don’t care about that, but if you openly admit to wasting product on purpose: you’re not using your head. If you think society is too dumb to realize that you pass that waste cost onto the customer: you’re not using your head. If you’re a customer and are completely content with paying for two copies of a book and only getting one - that is not my problem and I sincerely hope you visit one of my sales threads.

On 9/2/2022 at 4:37 PM, shadroch said:

You people keep saying this, but give us an example where CGC destroyed books for a publisher? If it has, in fact, been going on for a decade it should be easy to provide examples. 

Tbh I thought threads like these came up more in the last year, but I myself couldn't find them. So I may have misspoke.

While I can't remember cgc specifically doing so I do want to say others do this on the regular, but you're right probably not cgc specifically 

On 9/2/2022 at 5:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Tbh I thought threads like these came up more in the last year, but I myself couldn't find them. So I may have misspoke.

While I can't remember cgc specifically doing so I do want to say others do this on the regular, but you're right probably not cgc specifically 

@shadroch this is the closest I could find.  :)

On 9/2/2022 at 12:53 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Not just wrong: wasteful. Blatantly wasteful. It's irresponsible to do something like this. I thought about this on the drive home last night.

It's not like they will be losing money, the cost of the destroyed copies will be folded into the cost of the final product. But to willingly waste paper production, energy and fuel for producing and shipping, not to mention the additional packaging - in this day and age? That's stupidly wasteful, ignorant and irresponsible - all for a gimmick. I love comic books, but I hope the people who came up with this bunny-brained idea choke on it.

I'm not a 100% environmentally conscious citizen, but I sure as hell wouldn't do something like this.

Well, comics are basically no longer a part of it, but that's still how the newsstand system works. (shrug)

On 9/2/2022 at 5:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

Well, comics are basically no longer a part of it, but that's still how the newsstand system works. (shrug)

True. And I’m not trying to say it’s never been done - but the newsstand system was designed with the idea of books being sold, with a minimal amount of returns - and of course, the waste percentage being figured into the cover price. But People Magazine won’t print 500,000 copies knowing that 250,000 will be purposefully destroyed. They will adjust to minimal waste - all part of business. The responsibility is to determine the least amount of waste.

This is different. This is CGC purposefully creating waste to increase scarcity. Granted, that’s the gimmick - but still wasteful and irresponsible. For CGC or anyone else who can’t figure out how to create 500 exclusive books without printing 1,000.

A person can think I’m on a high horse or a hippie - that’s not what I’m trying to put across. This business tactic isn’t smart given the current social climate and it’s not smart from a business aspect. The fact that a bunch of neckties got together and agreed it was a good idea means they have other similar “good ideas” rattling around waiting to be executed.