• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Destroyed books?!?!? CGC-exclusive Death of Superman 30th Anniversary Gold Foil Variant
4 4

113 posts in this topic

I only realized books were being destroyed very recently. Comics Elite was having a live Facebook sale. For every book someone bought, they would rip one in half to reduce the number out there and in theory make them more valuable. They did say the reason for this was they had to do a minimum print run that was more than they wanted. This was their solution. 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:05 AM, jaybuck43 said:

In the old days comics were returnable to marvel/dc. Then they decided they didn’t want the books back so they said “ok just rip off the part of the cover and send it to us as proof you destroyed the book and we’ll reimburse you for it”. Then marvel and dc didn’t even want that and just sent an affidavit that you promised that you destroyed the book. That was the story behind the mile high two find. A giant warehouse in ny filled with remaindered books (books that were supposed to be destroyed but weren’t). These remaindered books would then be sold off. I have a remaindered AF15 (they cut off the top third of the cover and returned it to marvel for the money back, but still sold the copy to someone.)

Ok yeah I know about the return thing that’s while there are books out there missing titles portion of the cover but that’s still different that’s just no demand and no one bought the book so dealers “returned” them back. This is where there is demand but they want to keep books away from people just to make them “more” exclusive and more expensive… it’s a intentional destruction of books for greed the older return way was just figuring out what to do with stuff people didn’t want… different thing.. 

On 9/2/2022 at 3:15 AM, shadroch said:

Destroying a returned book that had its six week shot at a forever home is one thing, but these books never had a chance. Their only sin was a blemish that kept them from being a 9.8, or perhaps being towards the back of the line.

Thank you exactly my point!!! ^^

Destroying a returned book that had its six week shot at a forever home is one thing, but these books never had a chance. Their only sin was a blemish that kept them from being a 9.8, or perhaps being towards the back of the line.

I’d say their only sin was being sold to a shady dealer… hmm…. :gossip:

On 9/1/2022 at 6:47 PM, Krismusic said:

I hope people will boycott this but probably won’t happen destroying comics just sounds wrong 

So I assume you've never bought a variant limited to any number under 1,000 ?   This is how it's done.

And do you not realize these are just some goofy variant and if there needs to be there will be multiple printings of the regular book itself?

No person, who would even want one,  is going to go without.

Strange how people get so emotional over comic books.

(psst...they aren't alive)

On 9/2/2022 at 8:07 AM, Sigur Ros said:

So I assume you've never bought a variant limited to any number under 1,000 ?   This is how it's done.

And do you not realize these are just some goofy variant and if there needs to be there will be multiple printings of the regular book itself?

No person, who would even want one,  is going to go without.

Strange how people get so emotional over comic books.

I haven’t to my knowledge bought a variant limited to 1000 copies I generally buy regular covers or virgin covers but as far as I know none with a limited run under 1000… but I don’t buy many moderns I generally collect silver and Bronze Age books.. just appreciating the new stuff. I guess it’s a crime to enjoy my hobby according to you!!! 

strange that your in a comic form telling people not to enjoy comics or the hobby… you must just be another flipper or influencer here for Instagram likes and clout.. don’t let the door hit you on the way out when ur done with flipping or collecting ur clout… 

ps better to have some emotion or passion for something in life than to be boring and a dud… :gossip:

:hi: Peace out

On 9/2/2022 at 8:56 AM, Krismusic said:

I guess it’s a crime to enjoy my hobby according to you!!! 

strange that your in a comic form telling people not to enjoy comics 

Yes, poor spelling drama queen. 

That's exactly what I said.

ffs...

On 9/2/2022 at 9:01 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Yes, poor spelling drama queen. 

That's exactly what I said.

ffs...

Oh no, name calling and pointing out poor spelling and grammar lol :golfclap:

On 9/2/2022 at 12:05 AM, jaybuck43 said:

In the old days comics were returnable to marvel/dc. Then they decided they didn’t want the books back so they said “ok just rip off the part of the cover and send it to us as proof you destroyed the book and we’ll reimburse you for it”. Then marvel and dc didn’t even want that and just sent an affidavit that you promised that you destroyed the book. That was the story behind the mile high two find. A giant warehouse in ny filled with remaindered books (books that were supposed to be destroyed but weren’t). These remaindered books would then be sold off. I have a remaindered AF15 (they cut off the top third of the cover and returned it to marvel for the money back, but still sold the copy to someone.)

I never got a remaindered copy of AF15, but in my city was a store that sold tons of remaindered comics for 4 cents each.  We loved it.  I still remember the stacks of Iron Man #1 in 1968 and Cap 100s. All of the books were just a few month's old.   They did the same with Eerie and Creepy Magazines too.  

On 9/1/2022 at 12:52 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

They’ve taken the next step....

No raw copies available 

Strictly slabbed CGC Exclusives

I guess the ultimate client would be to deal with Marvel directly.  Release the ‘regular’ Digital subscription edition to read, but only release all the variant printed covers encapsulated.  Skip the pedestrian submission process, and just manufacture ‘CGC Editions’.

Brilliant 

:flipbait:

FTFY

On 9/1/2022 at 6:33 AM, gregwynn said:

Been done with Voldermont many times. Send entire print run and get 300 9.8's and rest destroyed. Sold as "Ultimate Edition" though does not say Voldermont Ultimate Edition

Exactly, it was done with the Limited print run ASM Mayhew 238 homage (800?) variant for CBCS Signature Series.  He advertised it as a CBCS SS exclusive and refused to sell raw to anyone.  He supposedly had the remainder copies destroyed but never showed proof of them actually being destroyed.  Not sure if CBCS ever showed proof of them being destroyed either. 

But some enterprising individuals have cracked them out of the CBCS slab, had Mayhew draw/remark over his own signature with a CGC witness and resubmitted to CGC to receive a CGC signature series for those OCD enough to only want their comics in a CGC slab.  The risk is getting Mayhew to agree to do it and having the book come back the same grade if it's a 9.8.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, BraveDave said:

I hope this is obvious to everyone but they are constructing a grade curve.

1,000 books manufactured, all sent to grading, pre screen 9.8+, you can expect 300+ of 1,000 to hit that. Then of that subset it will include all the potential 9.9+ candidates. Allows defending a disproportionate set of 9.9 books.

Anyone valuing these books should not value a 9.9 (or 9.8) here as exceptional. So there should be no increased value in this junk because the distribution of grades will be unnaturally high.

A 9.8 is exceptional for GA books. For a modern, not so much. For this… it is just the “norm”… so who cares 

But focusing on how many 9.8, 9.9 etc makes no sense. It is expected and can be completely legitimate based on this approach.

After years of chasing and examining 9.9s and 10.0s of all ages (except GA) and often being disappointed in not seeing any difference from really good looking 9.8's I've found they don't deserve the grade condition notation (and definitely not 1000%+ price difference) especially when there are 9.9s and 10's with miswraps, spine ticks, cover overhangs, and off-white/white pages.  It makes absolutely no sense putting any higher of a value or price that there's anything exceptional or more valuable about a 9.9 or 10.  The only stock I put into those grades is that they might might have been the result of an immature grading period or a reward for a dedicated submitter/partner especially after this most recent acetate fiasco.  No my friends, that 9.9 or 10 only looks impressive because of the gold coloring on the grade and maybe if you place a copy of its CGC census page next to it.  

Maybe later on CGC will add a new color to the 9.8 grade to make it pop and stand out from the other lesser grades.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:47 PM, Krismusic said:

I hope people will boycott this but probably won’t happen destroying comics just sounds wrong for any true collector who appreciates comics in all their forms.

Not just wrong: wasteful. Blatantly wasteful. It's irresponsible to do something like this. I thought about this on the drive home last night.

It's not like they will be losing money, the cost of the destroyed copies will be folded into the cost of the final product. But to willingly waste paper production, energy and fuel for producing and shipping, not to mention the additional packaging - in this day and age? That's stupidly wasteful, ignorant and irresponsible - all for a gimmick. I love comic books, but I hope the people who came up with this bunny-brained idea choke on it.

I'm not a 100% environmentally conscious citizen, but I sure as hell wouldn't do something like this.

On 9/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Not just wrong: wasteful. Blatantly wasteful. It's irresponsible to do something like this. I thought about this on the drive home last night.

It's not like they will be losing money, the cost of the destroyed copies will be folded into the cost of the final product. But to willingly waste paper production, energy and fuel for producing and shipping, not to mention the additional packaging - in this day and age? That's stupidly wasteful, ignorant and irresponsible - all for a gimmick. I love comic books, but I hope the people who came up with this bunny-brained idea choke on it.

I'm not a 100% environmentally conscious citizen, but I sure as hell wouldn't do something like this.

Question..

If all these retailers, etc. who create limited variants for the last decade or two, by destroying large parts of their minimum required print run, recycle these materials...  Is this really wasteful enough for people to be upset over?

I don't buy these types of variants so they mean nothing to me, but I don't see why people are suddenly bothered by this just because CGC is involved.

On 9/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Question..

If all these retailers, etc. who create limited variants for the last decade or two, by destroying large parts of their minimum required print run, recycle these materials...  Is this really wasteful enough for people to be upset over?

I don't buy these types of variants so they mean nothing to me, but I don't see why people are suddenly bothered by this just because CGC is involved.

I’m not bothered with CGC’s involvement, it’s the appearance that they are not only ignorant of the waste, but they are so dumb that they flout it.

Waste is waste. I don’t necessarily believe retailers purposefully wasted those overruns in every variant scenario. I’d need more information before coming to that conclusion.