• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This How You Pictured The Thing's Insides?

43 posts in this topic

For some reason this bugs me, I'm fine with him having some flesh, but to tango with the Hulk he needs to be far thicker than that. He's got too much flesh, IMO. It does track with that time Wolverine messed up his face though, and it revealed raw tissue underneath which scarred from a single swipe of Logan's claws. 

What do you think of this cut-out from the official Marvel Anatomy book? 

RIOQoXgl.jpg.7aa865b5125fa397656f4bc25c368849.jpg

My mind immediately went to John Carpenter when I saw the thread title! 

Anyways, I never really thought about what was under his rocky outer shell, guess I figured he was rock to the core.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, Cat said:

For some reason this bugs me, I'm fine with him having some flesh, but to tango with the Hulk he needs to be far thicker than that. He's got too much flesh, IMO. It does track with that time Wolverine messed up his face though, and it revealed raw tissue underneath which scarred from a single swipe of Logan's claws. 

What do you think of this cut-out from the official Marvel Anatomy book

Wait-what!??

What, what is this of which you speak!!?? :whatthe:

I must investigate! 

On 11/15/2022 at 12:01 PM, jcjames said:

Wait-what!??

What, what is this of which you speak!!?? :whatthe:

I must investigate! 

This book right here. Check out the Omnibus thread, pages have been posted showing Wolverine and Spider-Man. 

https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Anatomy-Scientific-Study-Superhuman/dp/1683838696/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3GIUMCKG07701&keywords=Marvel+anatomy&qid=1668480669&sprefix=marvel+anatomy%2Caps%2C443&sr=8-1

It's all relative and at the same time imaginative, but the reality of writers and etc I would respect, it depends on what "I" would consider the "source." It's nice to maybe make nonsense sound poetic, but in the end, we decide for ourselves a lot of things about comics through personal experiences.

It causes me to like issues and not like others, but mostly I freely think that with comics nothing is set in stone. Cause If it "was" there would be nothing considered "new!" Some may after a while, come to that conclusion themselves. Still, having an appreciation for individual thoughts, makes it seem focused and new, but big picture probably not.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I think it was John Byrne who described his original skin as dinosaur hide texture, before it became more solid, rocky and plate-like. That’s how I’ve always seen it; a tough, external coating protecting internal tissues and organs that have all been given increased resilience and strength by the mutating cosmic radiation, but not sturdy enough to resist sharpened, pointy adamantium.

Makes more sense than being internally solidified as well, especially regarding flexibility and mobility.

My übernerd post for the day.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I've never given it any thought until now.  I contemplated it for a minute and decided I'd  given it all the thought I needed to. I don't recall ever seeing Ben bleed, but I have read very few FFs since the late 1980s.

Edited by shadroch

Ben is not made of rock.

He’s much more durable than that. I think of his plates as callouses; the outermost layers can be brittle, but under layers are much tougher. When you see little chips flying off of him in battle, that’s just the sloughing away of that top most layer. He is completely undiminished by it. 

Here I end my udernerd post: before anyone can get me started on the Wolverine travesty.

Edited by KirbyJack

On 11/14/2022 at 8:45 PM, Cat said:

What do you think of this cut-out from the official Marvel Anatomy book? 

And why does he have 3 fingers and a thumb instead of 4?

Other than: cartoons

On 11/15/2022 at 5:06 PM, KirbyJack said:

Ben is not made of rock.

He’s much more durable than that. I think of his plates as callouses; the outermost layers can be brittle, but under layers are much tougher. When you see little chips flying off of him in battle, that’s just the sloughing away of that top most layer. He is completely undiminished by it. 

Here I end my udernerd post: before anyone can get me started on the Wolverine travesty.

I concur.  Humans have tiny scales in the skin, a vestige of our reptilian ancestry.  The Thing's stage 1 was a reversion to a larger, thicker, skin-scaled dinosaur or crocodile-like structure, with stage 2 being still thicker, larger scales producing a very solid, plate-like appearance.

depending on what the scales are made of he might need special diet.  probly gets cravings like pregnint woman.

On 11/15/2022 at 1:18 PM, MattTheDuck said:

In "the first" Fantastic Four movie, they showed an x-ray of Ben's organs (not that one, @kav) and they were all scaly like his outside.

thats gonna cause some indigestion.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:06 PM, kav said:

depending on what the scales are made of he might need special diet.  probly gets cravings like pregnint woman.

Hopefully not too special: bags of cement or plaster, like this character...

pzvj6avwtqTrpAZfLuUs4o-970-80.jpg