• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, g-man said:

link has the Starlin Death of Capt Marvel TPB cover art coming up for sale....might as well strike while the iron is hot! :devil:

"A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++" - Malvin

:jokealert: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/18/2023 at 9:09 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

And before the marker ink fades?

The original Marvel Graphic Novel #1 Death of Captain Marvel cover by Jim Starlin was re-inked by Bob McLeod back in the early 2000s due to the fading inks. I hope HA includes that information in the description.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:01 AM, Michael Browning said:

The original Marvel Graphic Novel #1 Death of Captain Marvel cover by Jim Starlin was re-inked by Bob McLeod back in the early 2000s due to the fading inks. I hope HA includes that information in the description.

not sure how hard it is to get Comiclink to revise their description, but here’s their current description:

DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL COVER - AUCTION BEGINS SOON

1994, New cover for trade paperback printing of Starlin's classic 1982 graphic novel

On 1/18/2023 at 11:16 AM, gumbydarnit said:

not sure how hard it is to get Comiclink to revise their description, but here’s their current description:

DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL COVER - AUCTION BEGINS SOON

1994, New cover for trade paperback printing of Starlin's classic 1982 graphic novel

Ah, it’s the trade paperback reprint. The one I’m talking about is the original graphic novel cover.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:28 AM, Michael Browning said:

Ah, it’s the trade paperback reprint. The one I’m talking about is the original graphic novel cover.

Anyone selling the cover OA to the original Death of Captain Marvel Graphic Novel on Comiclink would need to have their head seriously examined.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:43 AM, Michael Browning said:

It was NOT the Bros. who had it re-inked. It was a private collector, one of the most prominent Starlin collectors of the late-1990s and early-2000s. The collector personally told me he had it re-inked by McLeod.

Severely fading ink really presents the owner with a dilemma, keep it as is and have a piece that appearance is greatly hampered or have it re-inked and have the integrity of the piece greatly diminished.

I think most would keep it as is.  If you aren't cool with the piece's fading ink, perhaps you should pass it by and let someone who wouldn't re-ink it be it's caretaker, BUT I do understand the impulse of trying to fix it.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:46 PM, gumbydarnit said:

My solution would be keep the original as is an have a blueline inked to your liking.

I don’t own it. Never have. The only page I ever owned still had very solid inks and was one of the few that were not re-inked. It’s up for sale on Mike Burkey’s site for a very reasonable price (I haven’t owned it in nearly a year, but that’s where it is for sale). The inks on that have have only faded in some areas slightly.