• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2023 at 4:31 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't t think anyone has mentioned the $53K result for the Starlin Marvel Fanfare 21 page, featuring a 3-panel battle between the Hulk and the Thing.  Nice page, strong result.

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom Marvel Fanfare #21 Story Page 24 Original Art (Marvel, 1985)....

I was waiting for that to be mentioned. It's an A++ page but it's a really good result.  Highest interior from that run right?

As I have been saying a lot these days, I'm so glad that I have my examples already.  I'm not buying more at these prices.

Malvin

On 1/16/2023 at 1:23 PM, malvin said:

I was waiting for that to be mentioned. It's an A++ page but it's a really good result.  Highest interior from that run right?

As I have been saying a lot these days, I'm so glad that I have my examples already.  I'm not buying more at these prices.

Malvin

I have a feeling this is just the beginning for non-Infinity (you chose the mini series) love for Jim Starlin. 

im already seeing some big prices for his artwork from the early 2000’s - 2015 so get ‘em while you can!

On 1/16/2023 at 11:31 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't t think anyone has mentioned the $53K result for the Starlin Marvel Fanfare 21 page, featuring a 3-panel battle between the Hulk and the Thing.  Nice page, strong result.

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom Marvel Fanfare #21 Story Page 24 Original Art (Marvel, 1985)....

"Jim Starlin The Incredible Hulk #393 Splash Page 60 Original Art | LotID #11033 | Heritage Auctions" https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-starlin-the-incredible-hulk-393-splash-page-60-original-art-marvel-1992-/p/7344-11033.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Comparing these pages I think the fanfare 21 page is far more desirable.....interesting to see where this hulk 393 page finishes

On 1/16/2023 at 1:37 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

"Jim Starlin The Incredible Hulk #393 Splash Page 60 Original Art | LotID #11033 | Heritage Auctions" https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-starlin-the-incredible-hulk-393-splash-page-60-original-art-marvel-1992-/p/7344-11033.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Comparing these pages I think the fanfare 21 page is far more desirable.....interesting to see where this hulk 393 page finishes

It will be interesting to see how a 1971 Starlin (Marvel Feature 11) vs. a 1982 Starlin (the Marvel Fanfare) vs. a 1992 Starlin (the Hulk 393) will fare. Era for an artist used to matter much more than it does now it seems, especially when those styles change over time. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 1/16/2023 at 1:58 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I have a feeling this is just the beginning for non-Infinity (you chose the mini series) love for Jim Starlin. 

im already seeing some big prices for his artwork from the early 2000’s - 2015 so get ‘em while you can!

All the Starlin cosmic work in the 1970s is still tremendously undervalued IMO.  Captain Marvel run with Thanos saga, Death of Captain Marvel, Iron Man 55 appearance and origin, and the Strange Tales 178-182 Adam Warlock.  They've always been coveted, but have remained somewhat niche, especially the Warlock stuff.  The Thanos spike hit IG more than the 70s stuff, but the latter will catch up I think.   And Adam Warlock will be in GotG 3 it seems.  Starlin deserves a ton of credit for stringing together some amazing stories and characters.

On 1/16/2023 at 2:58 PM, comix4fun said:

It will be interesting to see how a 1971 Starlin (Marvel Feature 11) vs. a 1982 Starlin (the Marvel Fanfare) vs. a 1992 Starlin (the Hulk 393) will fare. Eras for artists used to matter much more than it does now it seems, especially when those styles change over time. 

agreed, and I guess its a sign that most of this material is starting to have some age to it. 

Even 1992 isn't exactly new anymore.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:07 PM, Bill C said:

Yeah the Starlin Thing/Hulk page was a jaw dropper.

I was also impressed with the golden age Green Arrow title page from More Fun 74 at a whopping 38.4K

I was as well.

I really liked the page, and I think its a worthwhile purchase, but I wasn't expecting that kind of money from an interior.    Early page for the character, I suppose.    Earliest existing, perhaps?

Edited by Bronty

On 1/16/2023 at 2:54 PM, Bronty said:

agreed, and I guess its a sign that most of this material is starting to have some age to it. 

Even 1992 isn't exactly new anymore.

That's true. For Starlin....those three time periods saw massive changes in his style. So I guess 1992 would be "new for Starlin".

On 1/16/2023 at 4:04 PM, comix4fun said:

That's true. For Starlin....those three time periods saw massive changes in his style. So I guess 1992 would be "new for Starlin".

Right, I hear you.  And while I think it matters less and less as we get further away from that time, his key works are 70s and 80s and nothing can really change that.     The premium/discount for stylistic differences may flatten, but the key work premium should remain at least to some extent.   At the end of the day barring some real changes it would take a trip down fantasy lane for a Dreadstar cover to become worth the same as one of the key cosmic saga covers.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/16/2023 at 4:09 PM, Bronty said:

Right, I hear you.  And while I think it matters less and less as we get further away from that time, his key works are 70s and 80s and nothing can really change that.     The premium/discount for stylistic differences may flatten, but the key work premium should remain at least to some extent.   At the end of the day barring some real changes it would take a trip down fantasy lane for a Dreadstar cover to become worth the same as one of the key cosmic saga covers.

The Dreadstar covers probably won’t reach the level of a Warlock or Captain Marvel cover, but they still will probably bring a pretty penny if any ever make their way out of a collection and up for auction.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:25 PM, Bronty said:

Agreed, but I Can’t blame them for charging whatever they can get away with.    I’m just surprised people pay up for the shiny shiny new new.

Paying up I understand, if they want it so badly.  The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the pocketbook can afford it, then okay.

But then flipping it so quickly?  That, I don't understand.  Particularly if they wanted it so badly they paid the artist's inflated asking price.

My only comment to those people is "Make up your freaking mind!"

On 1/16/2023 at 6:42 PM, tth2 said:

Paying up I understand, if they want it so badly.  The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the pocketbook can afford it, then okay.

But then flipping it so quickly?  That, I don't understand.  Particularly if they wanted it so badly they paid the artist's inflated asking price.

I think people get so wrapped up in enjoying a series that they have to have a piece of the art. They see it and buy it - despite the high price - because they want to own a piece from their favorite series. Then, when their love for that series cools or dies and they look to sell the art to buy something else they now love, they get smacked in the face with the harsh reality that new artists’ high priced art doesn’t hardly ever reap a profit or break even when resold.

It is a very hard thing to suffer through, but it happens a lot. Sometimes, it causes new collectors to become soured on the hobby and they leave.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:42 PM, tth2 said:

I suppose there's only a few explanations for the quick flip:

a) funds are badly needed / really couldn't afford it in the first place; or

b) art was disappointing in person

On 1/16/2023 at 6:45 PM, tth2 said:

Mid-80s post-peak Starlin drawing two characters he's not associated with at all?  What's not to understand?

The messed up part is that’s not even Starlin full pencils. It’s like 1/2 Starlin 1/2 Milgrom with full Milgrom inks.  It’s more of a Milgrom page than Starlin. 

Edited by zhamlau