• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2023 at 8:14 PM, Bronty said:

I suppose there's only a few explanations for the quick flip:

a) funds are badly needed / really couldn't afford it in the first place; or

b) art was disappointing in person

C) Plenty of buyers want the best available piece by an artist. If they later find a better one, they quickly sell the other and recoup what they can. A big loss to some people here, might just be pennies to a wealthier collector. 

Edited by Fischb1

On 1/16/2023 at 6:45 PM, tth2 said:

Mid-80s post-peak Starlin drawing two characters he's not associated with at all?  What's not to understand?

Starlin is somewhat associated with Hulk. Just recently we saw:

1) Starlin Marvel Super Heroes 47 Cover (Hulk transformation) sell for 102k

2) Starlin Rampaging Hulk 4 Painted cover sell for 81k

3) And there's about 7 other Starlin Hulk covers that have sold just on Heritage.

So was this a very healthy price? Absolutely. But saying Starlin isn't at all associated with Hulk isn't true at all. 

On 1/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, Fischb1 said:

Starlin is somewhat associated with Hulk. Just recently we saw:

1) Starlin Marvel Super Heroes 47 Cover (Hulk transformation) sell for 102k

2) Starlin Rampaging Hulk 4 Painted cover sell for 81k

3) And there's about 7 other Starlin Hulk covers that have sold just on Heritage.

So was this a very healthy price? Absolutely. But saying Starlin isn't at all associated with Hulk isn't true at all. 

A mighty world of marvel 7 cover is up for auction in one of the heritage auctions.....that's almost a full cover whole hulk image

On 1/17/2023 at 8:31 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

A mighty world of marvel 7 cover is up for auction in one of the heritage auctions.....that's almost a full cover whole hulk image

Correction, its mighty world of marvel 27, which is a watcher and hulk cover

"Jim Starlin, Al Milgrom, and Mike Esposito The Mighty World of | LotID #28007 | Heritage Auctions" https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-starlin-al-milgrom-and-mike-esposito-the-mighty-world-of-marvel-27-cover-original-art/p/7339-28007.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 1/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, Michael Browning said:

This is the problem with new art. Artists nowadays feel like rock stars and charge outrageous prices for their work - hey, it’s theirs and they can price it however high they want - but, when buyers go to resell, they usually lose money or barely break even.

I get that artists see art selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but that doesn’t mean it’s all worth that and especially not as soon as it’s drawn.

Note how the modern artists are -- generally speaking -- not the ones consigning these pages to auction houses.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, comix4fun said:

Saying "Strong Result" for this one seems inadequate.....like saying a Diamond is a "strong material" or the Grand Canyon is a "sizable hole". 

I vote to replace "strong" with "WHATDAEFFBBQCOPTER!!!" or "Inexplicable". 

Thing vs Hulk pages are a genre all to themselves. And if you come across an A+ example, you pounce. B|

On 1/17/2023 at 9:24 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Thing vs Hulk pages are a genre all to themselves. And if you come across an A+ example, you pounce. B|

On 1/16/2023 at 1:23 PM, malvin said:

I was waiting for that to be mentioned. It's an A++ page but it's a really good result.

If this is an A+/A++ page, how many plus signs do the really great and important/significant Hulk vs. Thing pages that actually affected continuity and major storylines by artists more associated with the characters and that were published in the main runs of the characters' titles get? A+++? A++++?? A∞ maybe???

IMO, there has to be something truly exceptional to warrant calling something more than an "A" page or else these terms just lose all meaning. Just like the mis-use and over-use of the term "Grail" has diluted that term's meaning to irrelevance in the OA hobby. :sorry: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/14/2023 at 8:01 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

That Chris Ware New Yorker Cover is going to be worth half a million dollars in 10 years. 

On 1/15/2023 at 9:35 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Just my opinion, of course. But Ware is one of those "comic" artists who have broken out into the fine art realm. And his New Yorker Covers are particularly desirable, if not yet on the plane of his Jimmy Corrigan work. I just think that eventually, if people want a really god Ware example, they will start looking at his non Jimmy Work and bid those prices up considerably. 

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree, but, I kind of enjoyed Jason taking what can only be described as a colossal dump all over this cover in his auction recap video with Yo Kuri yesterday. lol 

Always fun when people are not afraid to stir the pot! :grin: 

Edited by delekkerste

On 1/16/2023 at 8:14 PM, Bronty said:

I suppose there's only a few explanations for the quick flip:

a) funds are badly needed / really couldn't afford it in the first place; or

b) art was disappointing in person

There's also that many collectors are ADHD.  That's the most likely explanation for many people.  There's always a new shiny object to chase.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:18 AM, heartened said:

There's also that many collectors are ADHD.  That's the most likely explanation for many people.  There's always a new shiny object to chase.

agree completely.   Actually I had that as reason #3 in an edit but the website crapped out, as it seems to fairly often during edits.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, delekkerste said:

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree, but, I kind of enjoyed Jason taking what can only be described as a colossal dump all over this cover in his auction recap video with Yo Kuri yesterday. lol 

Holy spoon. That Cirocco/Austin "Alien Legion" #1 page sold for what now? $3840?!?

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 1/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, delekkerste said:

Ware apparently actually drew in the New Yorker logo on this page, as opposed to it being added later digitally or through paste up. So that adds to the value.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:42 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Another observation about this auction...On Sunday Jan 15th, the last day of the auction, and typically the day when bargains used to loom, I counted 31 lots that closed at over $10K!

That more lots at $10K+ than Clink's entire 'Featured Auction' :roflmao:

Yeah. Except the page I was targeting went super cheap, because apparently my session had timed out (Thanks Heritage!) so when I was trying to bid on it, it made me log back in. By that time, the auction had moved on. It's possible the person who bought it and I would have bid it up another 20% or so, but who knows? That person made out like a bandit. 

On 1/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

$20.4K... Another strong result, I think.  I don't recall other covers selling for anywhere near this price (although I do recall $7.2K paid a few years ago for the 1st kiss page)

Original Comic Art:Covers, Terry Moore Strangers in Paradise #1 Cover Original Art (Abstract Studio, 1994)....

To save others the hassle… I went to HA looked up what this is a cover to and it is-

Terry Moore Strangers in Paradise #1 Cover Original Art (Abstract Studio, 1994).... 

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 1/17/2023 at 3:46 PM, tth2 said:

The best indication of how jaded we've become is that several pieces went for over 6 figures and haven't even received a mention in the post-auction discussion.

True, but the A+++ (added an extra plus just for Gene @delekkerste ) Starlin Marvel Fanfare page that "only" went for $50K got mentioned!

Malvin