• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2023 at 9:31 AM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Holy cow!  I actually won a Heritage auction?!  Finally…my first after about 5 previous tries.  I just hope I don’t make it a habit because I don’t think my wallet can take too many of these in a year.

Pictures, or it didn't happen. :)

On 1/19/2023 at 11:13 AM, RBerman said:

Pictures, or it didn't happen. :)

Well, I’m in the school of thought of not posting pictures until an item is in my hands.  But rest assured, once I do receive it, I will post it in the recent acquisitions thread here.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, Xatari said:

Famous last words

I know.  I’m dreading it…

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

On 1/19/2023 at 2:27 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

Well, I’m in the school of thought of not posting pictures until an item is in my hands.  But rest assured, once I do receive it, I will post it in the recent acquisitions thread here.

I know.  I’m dreading it…

You will soon understand why heritage charges what it does for shipping and handling, and think you've gotten a bargain. 

On 1/19/2023 at 6:19 PM, cstojano said:

You will soon understand why heritage charges what it does for shipping and handling, and think you've gotten a bargain. 

In the few instances of winning something from them, I've always kept the shipping material to reuse. They really make sure to pack it in.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:35 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

In the few instances of winning something from them, I've always kept the shipping material to reuse. They really make sure to pack it in.

They are really paranoid about something happening the art during shipping. 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, Carlo M said:

I expected around 6-7k, but there are several good reasons for the strong performance:

- Quitely is absolutely a top contemporary artist

- Fully inked pages by him are rare

- All-star Superman (pencils only) has gone around this level recently

- While no action, this page has several key characters (including Wolverine).  Quitely's version of Emma is possibly the definitive version, IMHO (Cassaday's being second)

- Morrison's run on adjectiveless was possibly the last great run on mutant titles before the Hickman reboor (barring possibly Astonishing by Whedon Cassaday )

- Early 2000s is entering the "magic demographic area"

My 2c

I think it's the first and last things. This piece does absolutely nothing for me. But I'm outside of the nostalgia demo for this piece. 

On 1/20/2023 at 7:05 AM, Carlo M said:

I expected around 6-7k, but there are several good reasons for the strong performance:

- Quitely is absolutely a top contemporary artist

- Fully inked pages by him are rare

- All-star Superman (pencils only) has gone around this level recently

- While no action, this page has several key characters (including Wolverine).  Quitely's version of Emma is possibly the definitive version, IMHO (Cassaday's being second)

- Morrison's run on adjectiveless was possibly the last great run on mutant titles before the Hickman reboor (barring possibly Astonishing by Whedon Cassaday )

- Early 2000s is entering the "magic demographic area"

My 2c

I agree, including Whedon/Cassaday being great. I like All-Star Superman, but the pencil art is difficult to see; the New X-Men pages look better in this form.

image.jpeg.06466547f1af6b5c6039ec056874d45f.jpegimage.jpeg.cb2c11a001ed3e79c9c064b4221aeea9.jpeg

On 1/17/2023 at 8:00 PM, malvin said:

True, but the A+++ (added an extra plus just for Gene @delekkerste ) Starlin Marvel Fanfare page that "only" went for $50K got mentioned!

On the Marvel Fanfare #21 page:

"I thought this was an insane price. I thought it was already high when it was $20K" - Nick Barrucci

"Yeah, this is pretty stupid." - Albert Moy

"Yeah, I really thought it was a $12K or maybe, maybe a $15K page" - Nick B. again

On 1/20/2023 at 7:30 AM, delekkerste said:

On the Marvel Fanfare #21 page:

"I thought this was an insane price. I thought it was already high when it was $20K" - Nick Barrucci

"Yeah, this is pretty stupid." - Albert Moy

"Yeah, I really thought it was a $12K or maybe, maybe a $15K page" - Nick B. again

Exactly. It went that high because it was an A+++ page, not just an A+ page. :nyah:

Malvin 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

These comments from Albert and Nick are almost comical considering they have pushed prices so high on so many pieces at auction

Yup. Considering the prices Nick was trying to flip stuff for in the last CAFlive, it’s pretty performative.