• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The January 2023 HA auction starting to load up
2 2

411 posts in this topic

:::Takes off official Sal Buscema denigration ARTSOC hat:::

My auctions pretty much thuded. I had three covers sell. One broke even, one  made like 500 over, and to be fair one sold for huge. However in total the more expensive bronze and copper age cover art is what lagged (which shouldn’t IMO) and the modern cheaper cover killed but considering it’s lower value and desirability it wasn’t enough to overcome disappointment.

I did score a decent 80s liefeld marvel page for around 750. Wasn’t in market but it was one of those trademark Rob pages with 4 vertical panels like you saw in new mutants and xforce so it just sort of clicked a little. 

On 1/16/2023 at 9:14 AM, zhamlau said:

You know…It’s like ARTSOC doesn’t even matter to you people anymore. I mean, we have spent YEARS now denigrating and putting “The Average” in his place, yet this…keeps…happening...

We had agreed many moons ago that “he who must not be praised” art was throughly unremarkable and pedestrian. Completely “average at best” and with no great importance or desirability. The science was settled! 

And yet here we are…again…having our unquestioned expertise being completely ignored if not outright rejected. 46k, before tax no less, on a freaking 90’s COVER?!? Are you people even trying anymore?

The out right scorn and derisive commentary about “The Mario Mendoza of comics” has been sorely lacking on this board for the last few months, hence this disaster was sadly very predictable. We expect more from you people and are throughly disappointed in the movement right now.

Umm, scorn? derisive commentary?

If that's what you got from my post, please read it again and give your head a shake.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Umm, scorn? derisive commentary?

If that's what you got from my post, please read it again and give your head a shake.

:::takes off Artsoc committee hat:::

nah, it’s all good. I believe Sal is one of the more important artists in Marvel history and rather talented and consequential. We have had others rather strongly disagree in the past on this. 

if you read though again you will see it wasn’t directed at you, it was mostly about the perceived value and desirability of his art. I’m a believer in it being rather nice overall and worthy of higher prices when compared to other examples of the era.

:::puts back on ARTSOC hat:::

On 1/16/2023 at 9:56 AM, Kryptic1 said:

Well, there is one way to lose money in this market.  Pay an extremely aggressive price for new art then put it up for auction a year later.

1448007227_PNGimage4.thumb.png.c0dae2e72a89d3457da423a080ee3bdb.png1295224344_PNGimage2.thumb.png.33bb184202e9ac9b96ca8c641f253e7c.png

I believe that was on consignment. So they lost a bit, but not too much.

Well, there is one way to lose money in this market.  Pay an extremely aggressive price for new art then put it up for auction a year later.

1448007227_PNGimage4.thumb.png.c0dae2e72a89d3457da423a080ee3bdb.png1295224344_PNGimage2.thumb.png.33bb184202e9ac9b96ca8c641f253e7c.png

Maybe it sold for less originally? It just says sold/removed, hoping someone didn’t lose 5 figures that quickly.

This is the problem with new art. Artists nowadays feel like rock stars and charge outrageous prices for their work - hey, it’s theirs and they can price it however high they want - but, when buyers go to resell, they usually lose money or barely break even.

I get that artists see art selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but that doesn’t mean it’s all worth that and especially not as soon as it’s drawn.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, Michael Browning said:

This is the problem with new art. Artists nowadays feel like rock stars and charge outrageous prices for their work - hey, it’s theirs and they can price it however high they want - but, when buyers go to resell, they usually lose money or barely break even.

I get that artists see art selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but that doesn’t mean it’s all worth that and especially not as soon as it’s drawn.

Agreed, but I Can’t blame them for charging whatever they can get away with.    I’m just surprised people pay up for the shiny shiny new new.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/16/2023 at 9:40 AM, zhamlau said:

:::Takes off official Sal Buscema denigration ARTSOC hat:::

My auctions pretty much thuded. I had three covers sell. One broke even, one  made like 500 over, and to be fair one sold for huge. However in total the more expensive bronze and copper age cover art is what lagged (which shouldn’t IMO) and the modern cheaper cover killed but considering it’s lower value and desirability it wasn’t enough to overcome disappointment.

I did score a decent 80s liefeld marvel page for around 750. Wasn’t in market but it was one of those trademark Rob pages with 4 vertical panels like you saw in new mutants and xforce so it just sort of clicked a little. 

Sounds like you might have been the consignor of the Sienkiewicz B&B cover? hm 

On 1/15/2023 at 2:42 PM, TMNT said:

It was frequently the case where the original paintings appear much brighter in person than what was actually published on the comics so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Its interesting though, that I have specifically seen that "purple disappearance" on a finished painting vs the published image twice now with this piece. Where the original looks almost grey but the published is brighter purple. That said, doesn't take away at all from this amazing piece. So few of these covers ever see the light of day. 

Some pigments are more "fugitive" (prone to fading) and some more "lightfast" (resitant to fading).   Depends on the medium, but I've heard the blues and purples in illustration from this time using aqueous pigments can be the most fugitive and that's probably why you've seen it more than once.    Reds and yellows after that.

That's a generalization.    General discussion below.   Note the historical scale for lightfast testing was based on blues/purples. 

Blue_wool_scale_explained_astm_lightfast

https://www.kimcrick.com/pages/fugitive-pigments-list-lightfast-test-problems-art-supplies

Edited by Bronty

On 1/16/2023 at 10:28 AM, delekkerste said:

1918410198_Fanfare21.jpg.8f131854edefc1ba6fd105baccebad27.jpg

lol

Its a great looking page, in fairness, but yeah, that's a lot for it. hm

Edited by Bronty

On 1/16/2023 at 10:40 AM, Bronty said:

lol

Its a great looking page, in fairness, but yeah, that's a lot for it. hm

I sold a page from that story just like 3 years ago for 3k. It wasn’t as good yeah but both were on there. This price, even for this business, is somewhat hard to understand.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, zhamlau said:

I sold a page from that story just like 3 years ago for 3k. It wasn’t as good yeah but both were on there. This price, even for this business, is somewhat hard to understand.

That's pretty wild.    Maybe it was the first comic book the bidder and underbidder ever read, or something along those lines.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, zhamlau said:

Was it this page? 

Screenshot_20230116_113713_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f868747fcf3825e9633bfff7982531af.jpg

On 1/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, delekkerste said:

Was it this page? 

Screenshot_20230116_113713_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f868747fcf3825e9633bfff7982531af.jpg

whew yeah.    Not as good, but 49k not as good?   :whatthe:   Top and bottom panels are nice.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/16/2023 at 6:31 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't t think anyone has mentioned the $53K result for the Starlin Marvel Fanfare 21 page, featuring a 3-panel battle between the Hulk and the Thing.  Nice page, strong result.

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Jim Starlin and Al Milgrom Marvel Fanfare #21 Story Page 24 Original Art (Marvel, 1985)....

Saying "Strong Result" for this one seems inadequate.....like saying a Diamond is a "strong material" or the Grand Canyon is a "sizable hole". 

I vote to replace "strong" with "WHATDAEFFBBQCOPTER!!!" or "Inexplicable". 

On 1/16/2023 at 11:05 AM, Bronty said:

That's pretty wild.    Maybe it was the first comic book the bidder and underbidder ever read, or something along those lines.

$53K is what I would expect for this page if it was from Marvel Feature 11…Starlin Hulk v Thing battle from 1973.

I was thinking closer to $20K for the Marvel Fanfare page.