• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics are NOT the collectible you thought it was! Sheesh...
1 1

52 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, shadroch said:

Have you tried it? I've had great success offering to buy shops excess stock.  

Someone is going to my LCS and cleaning them out of their 3/$1 boxes once a month. Don't know if they wanted bulk comics for a school craft project, cheap reading :jawdrop: or to giveaway at X-mas and Hallowe'en.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:02 PM, MattTheDuck said:
On 12/12/2022 at 6:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Shadoobi 

Expand  

What say?

Well after clicking on the link, it would be similar to a pop up ad type information worth of analysis lol

Just saying. If it were reputable it would be more constructive in angle, but I think of it as a click bait, to get people riled. ie "these groups are money grabbers!"

I just thought it was laughable tbh, but if pressed just much ado about  :ohnoez:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I have to correct this.

My late sister wrote on her will that I will receive Lladró Figurines but I have to wait for my stupid brother in law to be passed away.  He is 81 years old and is 25 years of her junior. He is still jerk but those Lladró Figurines are not worthy anyway.  I don't have to wait for them.  All of them are still in the boxes but not much.

21 original Precious Moments do have sentimental values unless those are still in boxes.   The rest has little value.

I don't know about the trade cards but I know some are expensive.

The last one is Levi jeans.   Between 1854 to 1910, one jean was found in an abandoned mineshaft in New Mexico.  It was made in 1880 and was sold for $74K included the buyer's premium.  Secondly, the mostly intact miner's white pants were found in the old Well Fargo chest that brought to the water surface from SS Central America shipwreck after 145 years underwater. It was sold for $144K that raised questions about the Levi's original.  The man who found the old Levi jeans in the mine shaft keeps looking for the early Levi jeans in western states.

Edited by JollyComics

@MattTheDuck did I misspeak? 

On 12/12/2022 at 7:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well after clicking on the link, it would be similar to a pop up ad type information worth of analysis lol

Just saying. If it were reputable it would be more constructive in angle, but I think of it as a click bait, to get people riled. ie "these groups are money grabbers!"

I just thought it was laughable tbh, but if pressed just much ado about  :ohnoez:

I thought the "sheesh" in the title meant we were not supposed to take this link seriously, but after reading analyzing comment, I guess that I should read the room :)

:cheers:

On 12/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

FB_IMG_1670895056139.jpg

For the record it was these in trade in spoiler lol

Spoiler

Traded the following:

X-Men 266 cgc ss 8.0 Claremont newsie, New mutants 98 7.0 direct, Batman adventures 12 direct cgc 8.5, Secret wars 8 direct 8.5. I threw in X-Men #134 in blue cgc 7.5, and a certain 9.2 Batman Harley Quinn 1999 #nn, this and ASM 344 direct 9.8! 

I could have sworn there were more people posting at the time, so I either chased every one away or lol

On 12/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, Domo Arigato said:

42. Golden Dollars

Manufacturer: U.S Mint
Original Cost: $1*
Worth Today: $3-$4*

Chances are, you’ve seen a Golden Dollar a time or two. These coins are valid at $1, though they aren’t a common type of used currency (much like $2 bills). On eBay, Golden Dollars with famous figures like Ronald Reagan, Sacagawea, and George H.W. Bush sell for $3-$4 per coin.

Golden Dollars ©National Numismatic Collection/Wikimedia Commons

There is even a set of twenty-five Golden Dollar coins for $20.50. Though some Golden Dolls are rare and valuable, like those from the 1800s, when the U.S. Mint first produced these coins, much won’t net you much of a return. You’re better off saving the Gold Dollar and waiting to see if it grows in resale value.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First.......the example they picture is an original 1849 gold dollar and is worth at least a few hundred dollars.

Second........what kind of dipstick sells $25 worth of money for $20.50?

Those are the ones with chocolate in them and they're worth every caramel-filled penny. 

On 12/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, Bronty said:

The article isn't wrong.  Most comics are pretty well worthless.

Sure but the article is hardly fair and is cherry picking it's examples.  In every area of collecting from coins to oil cans to signs to you name it there's a majority of low value or worthless items and comics are no exception.  Every hobby has it's cream and it's chaff.

"If you have a lot of comics you want to get rid of, you’d do best to sell them as a lot. Even then, you’ll likely only get $20-$30 for the set. There is even an Invaders lot of eight Marvel comic books for just $10. Comics are awesome, but they aren’t a gold mine when it comes to collecting."

After reading this we should all assume any lot of comics will have little value and comic collecting is a dying hobby but we know better.  Next time I go to buy a collection I'll show the owner this article.  Important comics have value and have increased in value overall for many years and the market is pretty dang strong.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think this article was written by a guy looking to buy comics.

That's where I was at too haha

If it was meant to be legitimate, I just don't see it in most of the categories lol

But rumors can help if it is the angle, which was my first thought. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/12/2022 at 5:25 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@MattTheDuck did I misspeak? 

I thought the "sheesh" in the title meant we were not supposed to take this link seriously, but after reading analyzing comment, I guess that I should read the room :)

:cheers:

"What say?" is something Jagger says in the song.  Not on the "official" lyric sheet

On 12/12/2022 at 10:01 PM, MattTheDuck said:

"What say?" is something Jagger says in the song.  Not on the "official" lyric sheet

You know? I figured that lol

I listened to it after I posted, cause I hadn't heard it in a long time though I owned it on CD, but when you said that I wasn't in a position to listen quickly again with sound lol

No worries! Double checking  ^^

On 12/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

You know? I figured that lol

I listened to it after I posted, cause I hadn't heard it in a long time though I owned it on CD, but when you said that I wasn't in a position to listen quickly again with sound lol

No worries! Double checking  ^^

Didn't want you to think I was slamming you.

On 12/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, Bronty said:

The article isn't wrong.  Most comics are pretty well worthless.

Isn't the article about stuff that used to have value? (shrug) Just because Action Comics 701 is nearly worthless and always has been, that doesn't mean the same is true of Action Comics 1.

Plus, the write-up for comics is a steaming load of incorrect :censored:!

Edited by Lazyboy
typo

If anyone wants to unload one of those horrid cheap unwanted All-Star Comics #3 pictured in the header, I GUESS I could take it off your hands for a couple bucks.