• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McFarlane in house signing
2 2

48 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2022 at 11:12 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

let alone someone with a process so good it's a trade secret  :eyeroll:  

from CCS FAQs 

"our process is a trade secret. It’s a process we have spent thousands of hours developing through research, testing, and pressing hundreds of thousands of comics."https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/

LOL

On 12/22/2022 at 8:51 AM, woodship123 said:

Hello everyone! I was really excited to send my CGC graded  blue label 9.4 copy of Malibu Sun #13,to get cracked open,signed,pressed by sister company CCS,and reincapsulated! Turns out,it’s coming back an 8.5,🤣🤣.I’m not sure wether it’s Todd,being disrespectful,handling the books,or CCS,being completely average at their work.The grader notes,said light creasing on cover.Regardless of whose to blame,there’s a lack of professionalism,going on.Think about it encapsulated 9.4,they handle everything,and it comes back 8.5! Wondering,is it even my book,they r sending back! Was gonna keep this book,forever,now I’m thinking anybody want to buy a signed copy of Malibu Sun #13 CGC 8.5!!

It's CGC....

So 9.4 to 8.5 could just be the difference between graders.  May be nothing different with the book itself.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 12/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, Artboy99 said:

It may also be grading. I have seen a few recent unboxing videos and currently it seems CGC is grading very tight right now. So it is entirely possible you get the book back and find no new damage or perceptible change to warrant the down grade and it is just simply that it was graded far more harshly than before.

Most CGC unboxing videos are from people that aren't professional graders.  Most of them I take with a grain of salt, and by that I mean they can't grade.

2022 for me was one of the smoothest years on record for grades.  Never been happier with my grades.

(submit about 2000 books per year)

What I have seen steadily grow over the past 10 years is a lot of bad press jobs from terrible new pressers.   Youtube is filled with that garbage as well.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Most CGC unboxing videos are from people that aren't professional graders.  Most of them I take with a grain of salt, and by that I mean they can't grade.

2022 for me was one of the smoothest years on record for grades.  Never been happier with my grades.

(submit about 2000 books per year)

What I have seen steadily grow over the past 10 years is a lot of bad press jobs from terrible new pressers.   Youtube is filled with that garbage as well.

I think one of the things people (not you) don't always take into account is that percentages matter.

I think we have seen an uptick in people complaining about (perceived) mistakes made by CGC/CCS in the last few years.  And I have no doubt there's more problems, but are the increases in mistakes/problems proportional with the increases in submission volume?  Are there more novices submitting than before as a percentage?  Is increased social media in general giving away the APPEARANCE of more issues without evidence to show that mistakes are occurring at a higher rate?

People want clicks and views and shock and outrage .Isn't it possible that CGC is actually doing a better job percentagewise but there are ALSO significantly more issues publicly reported due to submission volume increase?  I'm not saying that is the case, but I'm not saying it's not, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to track it, aside from talking to some of the big vendors who have regularly submitted thousands of books per year for many years.

With all that being said, make sure you use the right pressers.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:37 PM, revat said:

I think one of the things people (not you) don't always take into account is that percentages matter.

I think we have seen an uptick in people complaining about (perceived) mistakes made by CGC/CCS in the last few years.  And I have no doubt there's more problems, but are the increases in mistakes/problems proportional with the increases in submission volume?  Are there more novices submitting than before as a percentage?  Is increased social media in general giving away the APPEARANCE of more issues without evidence to show that mistakes are occurring at a higher rate?

People want clicks and views and shock and outrage .Isn't it possible that CGC is actually doing a better job percentagewise but there are ALSO significantly more issues publicly reported due to submission volume increase?  I'm not saying that is the case, but I'm not saying it's not, and there doesn't seem to be anyway to track it, aside from talking to some of the big vendors who have regularly submitted thousands of books per year for many years.

With all that being said, make sure you use the right pressers.

That's right (UK accent)

image.thumb.png.6ee07f940e6fe3c0c6843bb79428bea1.png

Thanks everybody for your input.I don’t feel CGC grading was the issue.I think the grading team,does an excellent job!I always write a prediction sheet,and out of the hundreds of books,I’m about 96% accurate!(up or down 1-2 points,when failing to hit on the nose)) 😀The Malibu Sun I sent in was a solid 9.4,sharp corners,no creases whatsoever,no edge wear,no color rub.It was borderline 9.6.I’m not saying grading doesn’t make mistakes,but not the case here with this particular one(if anything they were generous), @8.5 these are pics of the book I received 

th63FA58CC-8C24-4EDB-8F56-466E8BD3EAA4.thumb.jpeg.1670cdeaa807d814daf592c182ebe9c1.jpeg

On 1/17/2023 at 5:43 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

@ $120 per item (yes I know he only sees a portion of that revenue), it can’t suck too bad

And too much of a gamble. Half the signatures are smudged, most are “T. McFarlane” instead of Todd, he’s using rainbow signatures lol 

For $120 a pop, I’d like some more security nets than, you get what you get…

:facepalm:

On 1/17/2023 at 8:02 PM, D2 said:

And too much of a gamble. Half the signatures are smudged, most are “T. McFarlane” instead of Todd, he’s using rainbow signatures lol 

For $120 a pop, I’d like some more security nets than, you get what you get…

:facepalm:

I’m trying to understand why CGC would put that dark and depressing ‘ad’ on their Instagram.  ???

On 1/17/2023 at 8:25 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m trying to understand why CGC would put that dark and depressing ‘ad’ on their Instagram.  ???

Because Todd is being funny… would be my guess. Didn’t you link the post with the ASM 300 3.0 being :censored:?

lol 

I mean, what is Todd thinking?

On 1/17/2023 at 8:30 PM, D2 said:

Because Todd is being funny… would be my guess. Didn’t you link the post with the ASM 300 3.0 being :censored:?

lol 

I mean, what is Todd thinking?

His dismay seemed real in this one.  I’m not sure those with books in that room laughed at this.   Maybe it’s just me.   Someone reading this must have books still waiting to be signed.  I’d be curious to hear their response this Insta post...

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/17/2023 at 8:37 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

His dismay seemed real in this one.  I’m not sure those with books in that room laughed at this.   Maybe it’s just me.   Someone reading this must have books still waiting to be signed.  I’d be curious to hear their response this Insta post...

I always think Todd overdoes it. But that’s the thing, he doesn’t care. 
I agree with you though, I haven’t submitted anything to him, this time, or last time. I have all the respect for what he’s been able to accomplish, but this… this I’m not interested in. 

I know I don’t speak for everyone, but I really take my collection to heart. The books I get signed really mean a lot to me, otherwise, I end up selling them. The books that I keep around, matter.