• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McFarlane in house signing
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I was really excited to send my CGC graded  blue label 9.4 copy of Malibu Sun #13,to get cracked open,signed,pressed by sister company CCS,and reincapsulated! Turns out,it’s coming back an 8.5,🤣🤣.I’m not sure wether it’s Todd,being disrespectful,handling the books,or CCS,being completely average at their work.The grader notes,said light creasing on cover.Regardless of whose to blame,there’s a lack of professionalism,going on.Think about it encapsulated 9.4,they handle everything,and it comes back 8.5! Wondering,is it even my book,they r sending back! Was gonna keep this book,forever,now I’m thinking anybody want to buy a signed copy of Malibu Sun #13 CGC 8.5!!

On 12/22/2022 at 8:22 AM, woodship123 said:

Yeah,no worries,but just think that’s kinda odd. 

well it IS disappointing :cheers:

I was going to ask if you've ever handled a Malibu Sun #13?

I had bought a raw, advertised as 9.0 and it too came back 8.0 instead, about a year or two ago. Having handled the raw myself, I didn't think it would get 9.0 but maybe 8.5.

My point? :makepoint: is the paper on those issues are really thin and impressionable, like very tediously fragile. I'm sorry it didn't turn out better though, as that is a big drop.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:51 AM, woodship123 said:

Hello everyone! I was really excited to send my CGC graded  blue label 9.4 copy of Malibu Sun #13,to get cracked open,signed,pressed by sister company CCS,and reincapsulated! Turns out,it’s coming back an 8.5,🤣🤣.I’m not sure wether it’s Todd,being disrespectful,handling the books,or CCS,being completely average at their work.The grader notes,said light creasing on cover.Regardless of whose to blame,there’s a lack of professionalism,going on.Think about it encapsulated 9.4,they handle everything,and it comes back 8.5! Wondering,is it even my book,they r sending back! Was gonna keep this book,forever,now I’m thinking anybody want to buy a signed copy of Malibu Sun #13 CGC 8.5!!

I’m not trying to throw anyone under the bus… but…

I do want to point out that “The Todd Father”has been shown on video, manhandling books like they are indestructible, many many, many times.

It’s not hard to find. So although CCS or CGC have been known to :censored: the bed with books, I’ve seen Todd on multiple occasions utters abuse books like they were meaningless.

So I’d start at the top. 

Sorry to hear about the damage.

On 12/22/2022 at 1:29 PM, comickings17 said:

I sent in 18 still slabbed graded CGC 9.8 copies of a few books ...(14) Spawn #1...and (4) Spawn #221....(4) of the Spawn 1's...and (3) of the Spawn #221's...were all downgraded to 9.6. SMDH

But I did get a little bit of love from McFarlane and a sketch cover that I drew of him!

DZAol.jpg

On 12/22/2022 at 12:37 PM, comickings17 said:

But I did get a little bit of love from McFarlane and a sketch cover that I drew of him!

DZAol.jpg

What I wondered when he did that, is what does it say on the cover?

On 12/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, D2 said:

I’m not trying to throw anyone under the bus… but…

I do want to point out that “The Todd Father”has been shown on video, manhandling books like they are indestructible, many many, many times.

It’s not hard to find. So although CCS or CGC have been known to :censored: the bed with books, I’ve seen Todd on multiple occasions utters abuse books like they were meaningless.

So I’d start at the top. 

Sorry to hear about the damage.

For whatever it's worth, didn't CGCMike say that books are pressed after signing?  So while Todd might manhandle books, he'd have to REALLY manhandle them to the point that they're not pressable defects.  That, or as stated, CCS is just really bad at their jobs.

It may also be grading. I have seen a few recent unboxing videos and currently it seems CGC is grading very tight right now. So it is entirely possible you get the book back and find no new damage or perceptible change to warrant the down grade and it is just simply that it was graded far more harshly than before.

Edited by Artboy99

Just got my books back.  One was ASM #300 old label 9.4 Blue.  Ugh, came back CGC 8.0 Yellow Label Now.  Thought CGC might have damaged it but looking at the book 9.4 was generous and 8.0 is outright harsh.  I think 9.0 would be more fair.  Cracking and resubmitting is a risk you take as grading is so subjective.  Very disappointed. 

Edited by spidermanbeyond

On 12/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, Hot Nickels said:

Light creasing should be easily handled by any novice presser

let alone someone with a process so good it's a trade secret  :eyeroll:  

from CCS FAQs 

"our process is a trade secret. It’s a process we have spent thousands of hours developing through research, testing, and pressing hundreds of thousands of comics."https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/

On 12/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, spidermanbeyond said:

Just got my books back.  One was ASM #300 old label 9.4 Blue.  Ugh, came back CGC 8.0 Yellow Label Now.  Thought CGC might have damaged it but looking at the book 9.4 was generous and 8.0 is outright harsh.  I think 9.0 would be more fair.  Cracking and resubmitting is a risk you take as grading is so subjective.  Very disappointed. 

Yikes!