• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating longshot975
5 5

111 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 2:35 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Taking a hit that big isn't a question of whether someone chooses to do that or not - it's a matter of integrity. Is your integrity worth $280 - even if times are rough or the money is spent? I'm hoping that if you are here on the boards and part of the selling community, the answer is yes.

It generally is not up to the customer to specify *how* things should be shipped to ensure that no damage happens in transit. That is the seller's responsibility, as it is their product - and would want to make sure it arrives undamaged. Even if he's bought books from you before, there's no onus on him to specify how to ship or how much to pay to ship. You set those costs based on how much it's going to cost you for packing materials, postage, etc.

It seems that a reasonable amount of time has passed to inspect the damage - it's pretty apparent what happened in shipping. If you had them insured, and you were notified on/around 12/8, that gave 14 days to initiate a claim - and even with USPS operating slowly, it seems that some sort of progress could be shown on the claim.

Now, I don't know if you have done that, or shown any documentation for the claim - if you did initiate that, that would be helpful right about now to see it.

If it's a matter of getting back the funds from your USPS claim before giving the refund, that should probably be stated now as well. I think the concerning part about this situation is that books were damaged and you are refusing your customer the possibility of a return. I think for the sake of this being a Nomination, we'll probably need to know if you are flat-out not refunding the money, or that you are going to make the effort to work your way through it.

Solid points, but I’m not sure how USPS will feel about a claim being filed for damaged comic books using their media mail service.

On 12/22/2022 at 1:12 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Solid points, but I’m not sure how USPS will feel about a claim being filed for damaged comic books using their media mail service.

Oh yikes. I didn’t put that together. At least I got my typing practice in for the day. I’m guessing at this point he’s ghosted.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 12/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, longshot975 said:

Everyone dont buy from me or not it was not lack of packing because the packaging was not open at the top when it was left at USPS.  The damage he shows on the books appear as the books were forced or pulled out and that is from a thumb doing so. Timmay did not start any of this even contacting me until days after USPS showed the item as being delivered to him which now he states a date that USPS showed as later then they showed it delivered on my end.  Fact is buyers remorse he got over $400.00 books for well under $200, Iron Man #9 variant even in poor ungraded condition is more then the price he paid for all books. |And instead of contacting politely he just went in stating straight out it was my fault and he wanted a full refund.  Would not give me time to contact or file a claim with USPS or even view images.  And every sales thread he kept placing "Dont ignore me in", causing loss of business so if someone chooses to put me on probation list they should him as well, because he has bought before and specified he wanted them shipped a certain way and it was done that way is it the sellers fault he was trying to get books and shipping as cheap as he could this time and now Im being targeted instead of admitting he messed up.

If he got such a good deal why would he return them? 

looks like poor packaging. And if the damage shown wasn’t there when you sent, it’s in your friend. Issue a refund, get your books back, sell them again and ship them properly 

On 12/22/2022 at 1:26 PM, jjfversion1 said:

The cardboard used for those boxes is so darn thin. If I were to ever use those boxes to create packing material, then I would have at least double or tripled the amount of cardboard used to reinforce the package.

Totally. I just mailed a book out today in a Priority Padded Flat Rate and I had to trim out a Priority box into 6 pieces of cardboard to get it nice and rigid. Priority may cost more, but the materials they provide help with the cost since you have to use so much of it.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Typically, they won't pay when fragile items are packaged insufficiently, let alone all the other anomalies you've noted.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, jjfversion1 said:

The cardboard used for those boxes is so darn thin. If I were to ever use those boxes to create packing material, then I would have at least double or tripled the amount of cardboard used to reinforce the package.

I have had SEVERAL comics arrive damaged because of that priority box material being used to sandwich the books.  It can be used if you cut multiple sheets and stack them "cross-grain" so that there is no bending.

There does not appear to be any bends in the package though.  I would call that a severe impact.  It is seen on the cardboard and the comics in the same location.  Potentially, that serious of an impact could even hurt a book in a Gemini mailer.

The seller states the package is insured.  I know insurance claims can take time.  Regardless of how long that part takes, the buyer only has a 30 (?) day window to file a paypal dispute.

In my opinion, Seller should take the books back rather than the potential of paypal just reversing the charges and buyer keeping both the books and their money.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, longshot975 said:

he was trying to get books and shipping as cheap as he could this time and now Im being targeted instead of admitting he messed up.

They were your books, it was up to you to ship them properly. doh! Just take the return, this isn't a great way to look.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:56 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Hoping for the best, but I imagine Timmay's option now is to take it up with Paypal. Hopefully he was not in a F&F situation on that payment.

Seller has made his egregious position clear.  I'd go to Paypal for a refund, securely package the books and return w/signature to seller, and put the seller up for a HOS nomination.  It appears he's done with us anyway, could care less what we do or if he sells here ever again, so let's make it official that we're not that into him.

This thread almost has the feel of a Dickens novel.  All I can say as a seller is that it’s on me to make sure my comics get into the buyers hands as described. In this case the packaging was not good. Even noobs know it, so hopefully it won’t take visits by three ghosts to change your thinking. 

+1 for poor shipping. Pretty clear they took a big impact and the packing didn't protect it well enough.

Secondly, if you try and file the claim they might bring up the fact the comics are not media rate eligible and deny the claim. 

Seller should refund the money and buyer should send the books back (maybe split the costs on the return?)

2c

On 12/22/2022 at 11:07 AM, longshot975 said:

I was already taking losses on S/H charges, fees and the books themselves because he was lowballing the prices on the books.

You know who controls whether or not you take those kinds of losses?  You.  Media Mail is the lowest of the low in terms of shipping.  You could have increased the price of the books to cover something better like Priority Mail.  You could have rejected the lowball offers or countered with something higher.  You have no one to blame for the lower return on your books than yourself.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, longshot975 said:

I am not taking a loss that big, someone else may choose to but I cant right now.

You accepted lowball offers, but aren't willing to take a bigger loss?  On what?  Your items are insured.  Take the books back, refund the buyer, and file a claim with USPS.  The only person who loses out is the postal service.  But then again, you're not supposed to be sending comics via Media Mail so maybe you're worried your claim will be rejected.

And I'll just add that this is 100% poor shipping by the looks of it.

Edited by ExNihilo