• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Generation CGC Holders (2000-03)
1 1

114 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Never quite understood the rationale for this, especially when many boardies here have this opinion on the first generation slabs:  hm

If this is the generally accepted opinion with the first generation slabs, does this not meant that they should encourage higher bids upon resale?  (shrug)

Oh, I like my old labels but if it hurts sales when I decide it's time to sell, then maybe it's best to get new cases.  Not sure... If it makes no difference, then I will keep the old labels

On 12/27/2022 at 4:08 PM, musicmeta said:

Oh, I like my old labels but if it hurts sales when I decide it's time to sell, then maybe it's best to get new cases.  Not sure... If it makes no difference, then I will keep the old labels

I believe you need to reread my post as I am agreeing with the previous boardie who said that the old label books indicates a much lower chance of the book having been pressed which means it should generate interest from more bidders and hence a higher price.  :gossip:

On 12/27/2022 at 2:12 PM, buttock said:

Here's a hot take: Some 1st gen slabs are accurately graded, some are overgraded, and some are undergraded.  

Question.

Were you the boardie I swapped a river city copy Battlefield 8 for two pre-hero TTA?

If not sorry for the confusion. It was like maybe 10-15 years ago.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, lou_fine said:

I believe you need to reread my post as I am agreeing with the previous boardie who said that the old label books indicates a much lower chance of the book having been pressed which means it should generate interest from more bidders and hence a higher price.  :gossip:

You'd think that would be the case but I don't think it's widely known or accepted.

And it's my opinion why I love first generation slabs.

I'm on other boards and it seems to me when collectors are submitting to a grading company that most default to automatically pressing vintage books first or thru the grading company.

So for a collector who is looking for a crack and press a first gen slab maybe a ideal candidate though not all will bump in grade. 

Then there are collectors who don't like the look of first generation slabs so never buy or bid so maybe that factor doesn't increase the price and is a big variable?

On 12/27/2022 at 4:48 PM, southern cross said:

I'm on other boards and it seems to me when collectors are submitting to a grading company that most default to automatically pressing vintage books first or thru the grading company.

Well, as per their previous experience in the other collectibles field prior to entering the comic book hobby, set up your business model to ensure that it's not a one and done deal. hm

Set it up in such a way that you can subtlety tweak your undisclosed grading standards, labels, slabs, or what have you over time in such a way as to significantly impact submissions so that customers will not only happily, but hurriedly rush back to you in order to throw more and more money at your feet in order to resubmit the exact same book back to you time and time again.  :devil:  :takeit:

On 12/27/2022 at 6:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Great! I'll keep my old label books as they are.  

On 12/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, MAR1979 said:

As I recall this self-submitted Action 500, was the first 9.8 copy on the census.  A $7.00 purchase in 1998 from Showcase New England.  An ultra sharp copy, the scans don't do it justice.

Action500.thumb.jpg.392254118251c597c3ae10b35664b9b1.jpg

Action500b.thumb.jpg.105fecc6d81af7927b22362b52cb216a.jpg

Wow, that’s an amazing book! Congratulations! You’re probably correct on that being the first 9.8. I got mine in 2009 and it was only 1 of 4 in 9.8 back then.

I’m jealous! :gossip: