• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Generation CGC Holders (2000-03)
1 1

114 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2022 at 10:29 AM, MAR1979 said:

Here's one from 1999 I've posted a few times before. Early in CGC operation (testing?) is was not uncommon for page quality not be considered.  From my records I won this on eBay in April 2000 for $41 which back then was a bit high. It was my first CGC book that was not 9.6 or 9.8.

image.png.38bfbebed37bb4d9708384dd8baff74d.png

WW196.thumb.jpg.453945d2ca7158e137b2bdf79aaab7e1.jpg

That is the lowest cert # ive ever seen. I always wondered if they started at 0000000001.

On 1/1/2023 at 5:06 PM, justafan said:

That is the lowest cert # ive ever seen. I always wondered if they started at 0000000001.

The way I understand it, but not for certain is: yes they started with #1, but in a way since they were first starting out? I believe they got a bunch agreed to send in to try it out, and to have some available either for sale or examples, to give it advertisement and prices realized. That may not be word for word, but

:makepoint: my point would be or hold true that a regular submission or submitter might not have got below a certain number, as they did some before being "public?"

That's my guess or approximation, but I could be misleading and would love to have it hashed out. :)

So +1

On 12/22/2022 at 7:10 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Hello!

This is ancient history but I’m curious what the community thinks about books in vintage CGC holders. Do you pass if you see one for sale? Do you think they are neat relics of the past? 

I got my first CGC book in 2006, since then I’ve only owned ten or eleven vintage holders. I only have three currently in my collection since the others arrived cracked after shipping, they are fragile after all.

I recall rumblings in the mid 2000s about CGC being more strict on page quality and grade in the early years, prompting discussions about cracking those vintage holders for upgrades. I also heard SCS was a problem in many of those holders.

I don’t see too manny of these holders on eBay or places like ComicLink anymore, I’m sure many have gone through the CPR treatment, especially the Golden Age pedigree examples. 

Curious on your thoughts, observations and experiences.

In the coin hobby, the earliest slabs can actually command premiums based on that alone. Most people aren't even aware of what a first generation CGC slab is composed of. The posts could be pried apart with the right amount of care, resulting in two halves that could be re-united, posts still intact, with various nefarious intent in mind. The inner well was not a well, it was a sealed sleeve, with no stabilizing edge well, like we see today. It was this early unit that resulted in Shaken Slab Syndrome, damage done to already slabbed books. The book could actually move and slide in the "sleeve". The "well" design was created to address that design flaw. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The slab posted by Iconic1s a few posts up appears to be the type of early inner sleeve I'm referring to.

Edited by jimjum12

On 1/16/2023 at 12:08 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Only one I have left (I think).  But that's because the book is as wavy as the label.  No way it would grade the same, and not interested enough to try pressing.

I assume the many years of off-gassing.

Screenshot_20230116_130158_Instagram.thumb.jpg.0fc7cad71976aeda2b940645d812338c.jpg

There is little or no "off-gassing" in high quality paper. The problem was acidic pulp in the decades prior. The label might be the lowest quality paper in the slab. lol